The Philippines

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

maartendas
Diamond Member

The Philippines

Post by maartendas »

Calling all Philippine fans :D
Recently I was listening to Bayan Ko again and realised I don't have a clue what Libera is singing about. And I figured, it would be nice to know a bit more about the Philippines: the history, the culture etc. I am interested in this because of Libera's popularity, their singing Bayan Ko etc., their special bond with the Philippine people. Also, the Roman Catholic church seems to do good work for poor people in the Philippines - a deacon from my parish has worked in the Philippines (Infanta) among fishermen and rural people. He was there when the area was struck by the flood and helped build a community center there with financial help from my parish church in Utrecht, the Netherlands :)
Apart from that, I am just curious about the Philippines in general. So, I would like to know - are there any books, websites, maybe even movies about the Philippines that people recommend?
I think it's nice how the music of Libera can help to broaden my horizon :)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Re: The Philippines

Post by TullyBascombe »

I'm not a Philipino, but here's a link to an English version of the song. The song is basically about the struggle of the people of the Phillipines who after a long struggle against the Spanish, found themselves under a new master, the United States of America. Fighting continued in some areas up until the 1920's.
After Admiral Dewey defeated the Spanish at Manila the United States decided that it would keep the Phillipines because it needed a naval base on that end of the pacific. After all, all the other great powers had Pacific bases of their own. Ships of that era burned coal, they could hold only enough fuel to sail from Hawai to East Asia and turn around and go back to Hawaii. They would not have enough coal to conduct operations. If they were needed to fight in East Asia they would have had to rely upon some other nation's facilities for refueling. What if they were refused? IIRC Admiral Dewey managed to refuel just before war was declared. If he had not done so then no other country in Asia would have been able to service his ships because in doing so they wuld have been seen as taking America's side. After the battle the fleets of Britain, Germany and Japan stationed themselves around Manilla harbor. The German fleet was actually larger than the Dewey's fleet and there were instances in which the Germans tried to provoke the Americans. Probably the only thing that kept the Germans from fighting the US for the Phillipines was the presence of the other two fleets, either of which might have tipped the balance.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Yikes! No new postings in 3 days?! Surely my answer to this question didn't kill the whole website?
Benj
Silver Member

Post by Benj »

Hi Maartendas,

I rarely check off topics so i didn't see this query of yours. Would've replied sooner since you've always answered my inquires, and after-all, i am a Filipino. It's actually a difficult question. You see, the Philippines is a multi-cultural country, unlike Japan or even England- archipelagos that are almost the same size as the Philippines- but the people and culture is almost homogenous.

Filipinos are a mixture of mostly the Malay or brown race & Chinese due to our country's location, and some Spanish & American, having been colonized by those 2 western countries for 400 years combined. Giving myself as an example, well both my grandmothers are half-Spanish and one grand father is half-Chinese.

Just to give you an idea of the diversity, we have over 80 dialects (local languages) scattered among 7,000 islands. English is actually considered as a national language that most people know so in a way, it helps unite the country.

Because it's multi-cultural, there isn't any 1 book or 1 movie that would represent everything about the Philippines. If you wanna go as far as reading our history and digging deep into our culture, maybe you can check out Noli Me Tangere. It's written by our national hero Jose Rizal, a muti-talented renaissance-like man just like DaVinci. It is released in English by Penguin Classics--

This satire-novel is said to have triggered the war that freed our country from over 3 centuries of Spanish occupation. Rizal wrote how Spain managed to keep the people under control by using the Catholic religion. After more than a century though, he must be disappointed if he found out, as you already know, that we are still predominantly Catholic, except for the southern Muslim part.

What might be interesting for Libera fans to know is that Britain also took control of the Philippines for a couple of years in the 18th century before Spain took it back. TullyBascombe already detailed for you our American connection in the 20th century. May i just add that our alliance with the US versus Japan during WW2, led to our capital city of Manila being the second most devastated city after Warsaw among the places that were pro-Allied.

But if you just want a nutshell about the Philippines now, here are a couple of tourism commericials-- [BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Hi Benj,

Thanks for your lengthy and interesting reply :) I can see how your country's history is quite complex and interesting and how there is a lot to explore about it.
I'll keep that book in mind :)
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

It wasn't the connectionw rith the United States that led to Manilla's destruction, it was the unfortunate fact that command of local japanese forces in the city had been turned over Rear Admiral Iwabuchi Sanji, who had been the commander of the battleship Kirishima at Guadalcanal in 1942. The Americans humiliated him by sinking his ship. Even though he was promoted he was never given command of a ship again. The commander of Imperial Japanese forces in the Phillipines ordered that the city should be evacuated and only bridges and vital war materials. Sanji decided to avenge his humiliation by staging a suicide defense of the city. Allied forces were faced with the predicament that Sanji's troops were using hostages as bait for ambushes. Rescue efforts resulted in the deaths of the allied soldiers and the hostages. The Japanese were razing the city and executing the population anyway.
Benj
Silver Member

Post by Benj »

Your detailed knowledge about the history of my country is amazing TullyBascombe. However, the Japanese weren't just shooting the people for no reason other than their impending defeat due to the return of Gen. MacArthur's forces. He was fulfilling his famous promise, "I shall return." Japan conquered many Asian countries too. But none was as devastated as the Philippines because this was where the US forces where at. Not that the Filipino people aren't grateful for the US-led liberation, it's just that we paid also very high price for it. Over 100,000 killed in Manila alone.

The facts i mentioned above are common knowledge, what's taught in schools. Like you however, i too have a different perspective. From my point of view, MacArthur, stationed in the Philippines, was humiliated, caught napping when the Japanese attacked the Philippines just after Pearl Harbor. He should've known the Philippines was next. Yet, not a single American plane was able to take off to defend the country. So when he returned, it was with impunity. The Japanese soldiers, sensing defeat, became trigger happy. And the Americans just bombed all over even in populated areas that had no Japanese soldiers. Those are the two main reasons for the destruction.

In my opinion, MacArthur's return was just an unnecessary ego-redeeming exploit. The two atomic bombs were gonna be dropped off soon. Japan would've surrendered anyway. The Philippines would've been freed just as the other Asian countries were. My grandparents who were already alive then, do not agree with me-- they just believe whatever the Americans told them. Perhaps they would even concur with your story. But as i've said, it's my own analysis without the emotional bias and propaganda during those times.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Actually combat air patrols were put into the air before dawn December 8, 1941. MacArthur assumed the Japanese would take-off from taiwan at night and attempt a dawn raid as they had at Pearl Harbor, but fog pevented the Japanese from launching until dawn. By the time the Japanese air fleet arrived over the airfields on Luzon American fighters had landed and were refueling. MacArthur's mistake was not to stagger the air time of his fighters and to not have moved his bombers south, out of harms way. In fairness though, no Allied commander faired well in the early days. Did the British do better in Malaysia? Did the Russians do better in the spring of 1941? Did the French and British do better in the spring of 1940?

MacArthurs ego was legendary. The Pacific command didn't want to fool with taking the Phillipines, they saw the war as eventually leading to an invasion of Japan. Taking the Phillipines wasn't seen as useful in that direction, but MacArthur had political pull, especially through his relationship with the Australians and the British. After MacArthur left the Phillipines he was given command of Allied forces in the southern Pacific. At the time the Japanese were moving seemingly inexorably towards Australia. Most of Australia's army had been deployed to North Africa. MacArthur orchestrated the defense of New Guinea and Gaudalcanal, stoping the Japanese in their tracks. The Australians considered him a hero and their support, reinforced by the British, gave him the clout to compel Pacific command to add his plans to theirs.

The atomic bombs weren't figured into any plans until July 1945. No one knew they would work until that first test firing.
Benj
Silver Member

Post by Benj »

Are you an American Tully? Cause what you write is what Americans want us to believe :lol:
For someone who doesn't even know how to spell Filipino correctly, you sure know a lot.

My opinion is that Manila & the rest of the Philippines was devastated due to the unnecessary return of MacArthur. How come you couldn't answer directly if his return was necessary? Cause it's not! Japan knew that Germany is gone, and so is Italy. Do you think Japan would consider carrying on with the war rather than to surrender? Especially they already knew about the a-bomb. Do you think the Japanese intelligence is dumb enough not to know about it? And do you also think MacArthur, the highest ranking military officer in Asia didn't know about the a-bomb? You've got to be kidding!

The americans killed more Filipinos than Japanese in their 'heroic return.' The Japanese didn't just open fire because their boat that was sank as you said. They did that upon hearing about the return of the americans. Kamikaze, take as many down with them. You just can't say they were killing the population anyway. It's because of the return of the Yanks.

MacArthur wasn't napping when the Japanese first invaded you say? Then how come we have Air Bases named only after Filipino pilots who were able to take off & defend our country when the invasion came? That's because not a single American plane was able to. In fact, all american planes were wiped out before take off! Sure, your hero was well prepared. You said that the american planes were able to take off but were only refueling? You mean ALL of them were refueling at the same time? Maybe that's why they were wiped out! Do you realize how ridiculous your claim is?

I'm not gonna answer every point, that'll take forever, you have so many inaccuracies to begin with. Dewey did not defeat the Spaniards. It was a mock battle! The outcome was already done under the table in Paris for $20M! Called the Treaty of Paris. The Yanks paid the Spaniards for something they no longer posses.

I'm sure you still have so many things to say, but i'm done with history in school. Like i said, i rarely go to the off topics, was just answering a fellow poster who called the attention of Filipinos. You can think whatever you want. Doesn't matter anymore. The Americans may have fooled our ancestors, including my grandparents, but that won't work anymore with this whole new generation.

As the saying goes, "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all the time." If you're disappointed that you lived long enough to see that the story the americans wanted us to believe didn't last, well Deal with it!
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Are you an American Tully? Cause what you write is what Americans want us to believe :lol:
Yes I'm an American, no I'm not a propagandist.
For someone who doesn't even know how to spell Filipino correctly, you sure know a lot.
Sorry about that.

My opinion is that Manila & the rest of the Philippines was devastated due to the unnecessary return of MacArthur. How come you couldn't answer directly if his return was necessary?
I thought I was clear. Pacific Command, i.e., Admiral Nimitz, planned for a direct thrust at the Japanese homeland after establishing bases in the Mariana and the Ryuku islands. MacArthur used political clout to go over his head and have FDR order the liberation of the Phillipines. If you want me to apologize for MacArthur pointless liberation of your country I will. I apologize. OTOH someone could point out that during the war the Japanese are believed to have deliberately murdered about 10 million civilians, not only Chinese, but also Indochinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, and, yes, Filipinos. These murders didn't stop with Hirohito's order for the cessation of hostilities, in many areas of Asia Japanese troops went beserk when they heard of the surrender and went on a final orgy of killing. That could have happened in the Phillipines as well.
Cause it's not! Japan knew that Germany is gone, and so is Italy. Do you think Japan would consider carrying on with the war rather than to surrender? Especially they already knew about the a-bomb. Do you think the Japanese intelligence is dumb enough not to know about it? And do you also think MacArthur, the highest ranking military officer in Asia didn't know about the a-bomb? You've got to be kidding!
First, Admiral Nimitz, not General MacArthur, was Commander-in-Chief, Pacific Theater. Second every major power, including Japan had its own atomic weapons program during the war, so each suspected that the others were working on the same weapons. Japan's pre-war intelligence program in the US consisted of a relatively small number of Japanese-Americans, but as you may be aware of the United States imprisoned its Japanese community, so Japan lost its spy network in the US. Finally, the liberation of the Phillipines began in October 1944, the battle of Manila began in February 1945. The Manhattan Project was a secret organisation directly under the command of Seretary Stimson. The air unit responsible for dropping the bomb was organised in the US, the targets were selected in Washington in May 1945 completely independent of Pacific C-in-C headquarters. The first weapon wasn't test fired until July 1945 and the final decision to use it wasn''t made until the Japanese failed to respond to the Potsdam Ultimatum in July 1945. As a point of fact the delivery of the bombers and the bombs to Tinian airbase were kept secret from the regular hierachy of the Army and Navy in order to minimze the possiblity of enemy interception. The ship delviering the bomb payloads was a cruiser which had been recently repaired at a US shipyard. It was loaded and sent on its way without informing the regional naval command. After the delivery it was struck by a torpedo. Because the Navy didn't know the whereabouts of the ship no rescue mission was launched until 3 days later a passing plane spotted life rafts. That's how tightly the secrecy of the atomic bomb was kept. It may be possible that MacArthur had heard rumors of the development of "superweapon" but he wouldn't have known any details.
The americans killed more Filipinos than Japanese in their 'heroic return.' The Japanese didn't just open fire because their boat that was sank as you said. They did that upon hearing about the return of the americans. Kamikaze, take as many down with them. You just can't say they were killing the population anyway. It's because of the return of the Yanks.
The 100,000 killed in Manila are just a fraction of the 1,000,000 killed during the war. The Japanese Army followed "The Three Alls" policy in occupied territories - "kill all, burn all, loot all", a policy coined by Emporer Hirohito himself. Medical testimony after the Battle of Manila found large numbers of people, of all ages, beheaded, bayoneted, shot in the back of the head, garroted and burned with gasoline. I'm not denying that civilinas weren't killed by allied bombs, artillery or gunfire and unfortunately I don't have access to the breakdown of the number killed by each various cause.

MacArthur wasn't napping when the Japanese first invaded you say? Then how come we have Air Bases named only after Filipino pilots who were able to take off & defend our country when the invasion came? That's because not a single American plane was able to. In fact, all american planes were wiped out before take off! Sure, your hero was well prepared. You said that the american planes were able to take off but were only refueling? You mean ALL of them were refueling at the same time? Maybe that's why they were wiped out! Do you realize how ridiculous your claim is?
"The 20th Pursuit Squadron's Curtiss P-40B interceptors patrolled the area while the bombers landed at Clark Field between 10:30 and 10:45, then landed and dispersed to their revetments for servicing. The 17th Pursuit Squadron, based at Nichols Field, also landed at Clark and had its aircraft refueled while its pilots ate lunch, then put its pilots on alert shortly after 11:00.[29] All but two of the Clark Field B-17s were on the ground.

At 11:27 a.m. and 11:29 a.m., the radar post at Iba Field detected two incoming raids while the closest was still 130 miles out. It alerted FEAF headquarters and the command post at Clark Field, a warning that reached only the pursuit group commander, Major Orrin L. Grover, who apparently became confused by multiple and conflicting reports. The 3rd Pursuit Squadron took off from Iba at 11:45 with instructions to intercept the western force, which was thought to have Manila as its target, but dust problems during its takeoff resulted in the fragmentation of its flights. Two flights of the 21st PS at Nichols Field, six P-40Es, took off at 11:45, led by 1st Lt. William Dyess. They started for Clark but were diverted to Manila Bay as a second line of defense if the 3rd PS failed to intercept its force. The 21st's third flight, taking off five minutes later, headed toward Clark, although engine problems with its brand-new P-40Es reduced its numbers by two. The 17th Pursuit Squadron took off at 12:15 p.m. from Clark, ordered to patrol Bataan and Manila Bay, while the 34th PS at Del Carmen never received its orders to protect Clark Field and did not launch. The 20th PS, dispersed at Clark, was ready to take off but did not receive orders from group headquarters. Instead a line chief saw the incoming formation of Japanese bombers and the section commander, 1st Lt. Joseph H. Moore, ordered the scramble himself.

Even though tracked by radar and with three U.S. pursuit squadrons in the air, when Japanese bombers of the 11th Kōkūkantai attacked Clark Field at 12:40 p.m., they achieved tactical surprise. Two squadrons of B-17s were dispersed on the ground. Most of the P-40s of the 20th PS were preparing to taxi and were struck by the first wave of 27 Japanese twin-engine "Nell" bombers; only four of the 20th PS P-40Bs managed to take off as the bombs were falling.

A second bomber attack (26 "Betty" bombers) followed closely, then escorting Zero fighters strafed the field for 30 minutes, destroying 12 of the 17 American heavy bombers present and seriously damaging three others.

A near-simultaneous attack on the auxiliary field at Iba to the northwest by 54 "Betty" bombers was also successful: all but four of the 3rd Pursuit Squadron's P-40s, short on fuel and caught in their landing pattern, were destroyed in combat or from lack of fuel. Twelve P-40s from the 20th (four), 21st (two), and 3rd (six) Squadrons attacked the strafers but with little success, losing at least four of their own.

The Far East Air Force lost fully half its planes in the 45-minute attack, and was all but destroyed over the next few days, including a number of the surviving B-17s lost to takeoff crashes of other planes. The 24th Pursuit Group flew its last interception on December 10, losing 11 of the 40 or so P-40s it sent up, and the surviving P-35s of the 34th PS were destroyed on the ground at Del Carmen. That night FEAF combat strength had been reduced to 12 operable B-17s, 22 P-40s, and 8 P-35s. Clark Field was abandoned as a bomber field on December 11 after being used as a staging base for a handful of B-17 missions. Between December 17 and 20, the 14 surviving B-17s were withdrawn to Australia. Every other aircraft of the FEAF was destroyed or captured."

I'm not gonna answer every point, that'll take forever, you have so many inaccuracies to begin with. Dewey did not defeat the Spaniards. It was a mock battle! The outcome was already done under the table in Paris for $20M! Called the Treaty of Paris. The Yanks paid the Spaniards for something they no longer posses.
War was declared April 21 - 23, the Battle for Manila occurred on May 1, a truce was signed in Washington in August, treaty negotiations began in October and the treaty was signed in December, so the battle had been over for 5 months even before the Spanish and American represntatives met to hash out details like payment. Mind you I'm no fan of the American occupation of the Phillipines and if you want an apology you can have it. I apologize for the American occupation of the Phillipines and especially for the brutal suppression of the Phillipine rebellion and the Moro rebellion. Of course, if Dewey had simply taken the Spanish garrison prisoner and sailed off, the Germans had a landing force already prepared. Regardless of how a German occupation would have turned out during WW I control of the Phillipines would have passed to the Japanese, who took over all of Germany's Pacfic possessions.

I'm sure you still have so many things to say, but i'm done with history in school. Like i said, i rarely go to the off topics, was just answering a fellow poster who called the attention of Filipinos. You can think whatever you want. Doesn't matter anymore. The Americans may have fooled our ancestors, including my grandparents, but that won't work anymore with this whole new generation.

As the saying goes, "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all the time." If you're disappointed that you lived long enough to see that the story the americans wanted us to believe didn't last, well Deal with it!
Last edited by TullyBascombe on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 7 times in total.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I don't want this to evolve into a flame war so I will post no further in this thread. I hope the dispute hasn't upset Maartendas.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Don't worry, it was interesting, not disturbing. Kind of odd to read about this kind of thing on a Libera forum, but that's the risk of starting this topic I guess ;) Maybe naive of me to think I would just get a few nice links and titles of books/movies to read up on Philippine history myself. Quite frankly I had no idea what to expect when starting this topic which was the main reason to do so in the first place. So now I know a bit more ;)
Benj
Silver Member

Post by Benj »

You’re an intelligent person Maartendas, I know, because you directly ask the people of the country which you want to know something about.

This all stemmed from my statement that our alliance with the US led to Manila becoming the second most devastated city among the Allies, Tully. The more you write about US involment, the more you prove me right.

Nice build up on MacArthur, his exploits in other countries and all. You can edit your story as many times as you want. Too bad all your efforts wouldn’t change the fact that your hero was caught naping in the noodle house when the invasion came. Doesn’t change the fact that more than 3 years later, in his attempt to avenge his humiliation, he ended up killing more of the people he intended to free. Doesn’t change the fact that Japan would’ve surrendered anyway.

You opened up another topic. This one, more recent. The US isn’t helping suppress the Moro separatist movement in the southern Philippines. That is an errouneous claim again! In fact, the US is funding it! so they can sell more arms and then have a new state they can control. Do you think we wouldn’t know that?

History has always two interesting versions—one authored by the victors and the other one by the vanquished. Also, one written by an observer and the other one written by the people themselves. Whose version is more credible?
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I know I said I wasn't going t post again in this thread but I'm going to break my word. The Moro Rebellion I was talking about occurred from 1899 to 1913 in the southernmost part of the Phillipines. The southernmost region was ruled by two sultinates which had previously been subject to the Spanish. The local US commander signed a treaty with only one of them in 1899, mistakenly thinling that the other was subordinate. When US troops moved into the area of this other sultanate their was conflict.
When you say that Manila was the second most devastated Allied City I think you actually mean it was the second most devastated allied capital city. The destruction of Leningrad, Stalingrad and Kiev were each much greater, they were larger cities and the loss of civilian lives in each ranged from 1,500,000 to 500,000.
I agreed with you twice that the invasion of the Phillipines probably wasn't necessary. I don't know why you won't acknowledge that. Whether more Filipino lives would have been spared had the United States not invaded is something we can't know. That depends upon how the Japanese troops in the Phillipines would have treated the Filipino people as their empire crumbled. For instance the Japanese took some 270,000 Javanese as forced labor. After the end of the war only some 50,000 survived. Its known that the Japanese executed many of their slaves before retreating to Japan. I don't know how many Filipinos were taken as forced laborers, nor can we know, had the Phillipines not been liberated, if the Japanese garrisons would have treated them the same way that Japanese garrisons treated the Indonesians, the Malaysians, the Chinese, the Koreans, the southeast Asians, and the Taiwanese.

You may not like MacArthur, and its true that his personal estimation of his capability as a military leader was much greater than it really was, but you have to admit what he did in post-war Japan, establishing a stable democracy, has to earn him a place among the great statesmen of the 20th century.

Oh, and if you're not going to like what America did to your country, I'd focus more on the way the US propped up Marcos for so many years.

Oh, and I apologize for my multiple editings of the previous post. I've been having a lot of problems with timing out when posting on this site recently.
Benj
Silver Member

Post by Benj »

Tully, You have opened up a lot of topics. Now you mentioned Marcos. I can have an endless discussion with you regarding Marcos but I think you are either in a fighting mood or just want to know the real score of what you think you know. An observer from the outside who's just looking in doesn't really hold much water.

But no, I’ll stop here. Just do some more research.