older arrangement of Salva Me and Sanctus (II)

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

Tockwell

older arrangement of Salva Me and Sanctus (II)

Post by Tockwell »

Hello,

I have been a Libera fan since before they were called Libera and have been to about 12 concerts. Nothing is better to me then then classically trained choristers singing in Latin to pieces with very contemporary arrangements. I am also very fond of the spooky ambiance of some pieces and the very dense harmonies.

I also am fond of more ‘typical’ choristers, and music by people such as Jean Michel Jarre (Rendez-vous II has a good choir example LOL).

For me, there is nothing more pure than the voice of a boy treble and that combined with contemporary arrangements produces something quite amazing.

But, I must admit, I do prefer the older arrangement of Salve Me (with the more powerful drums and bass) and Sanctus II rather than Sanctus for the same reason. I’m not saying that the new arrangements are not as good as that would be preposterous, but there is something just so different with the more ‘extreme’ earlier versions.

I agree that the arrangements are better now as are some of the synths used, but the earlier version of those to pieces appeals to me much more and it seems that Libera is starting to move away from pieces like that.

Adoramus is another of my favourite, and the first version of San Damiano (if anybody remembers that!) but I do appreciate ‘I am the Day’ too (I can even play that on the piano).

Anyway, I am starting to waffle but I would appreciate your views. Do listen to the older and newer arrangements of Salve Me back-to-back and see what you think!
chris17

Re: older arrangement of Salva Me and Sanctus (II)

Post by chris17 »

I love the older Salva Me too! (Partly because of the drums and partly because I love the difference with the "salva" part, how it's just 3 notes instead of 4.) I like Sanctus II better than most of their other versions of Sanctus, although I also like Locus Iste and the 2007 one with Tom and Ed. Adoramus is one of my favorites too. :D I don't think I have their first version of San Damiano, if you mean the one that's on their really old albums that are super hard to get. (I saw one of those on eBay for $300...I love Libera, but that's more than I can afford for just one album!) I like San Damiano from Angel Voices 1 (1992 I think), anyway. But then, I also like a lot of their songs which are more like How Shall I Sing, Time, Far Away, Sempiterna, etc. So while I'd love to hear more songs with more drums and such, I also love their other music. I'm kind of hoping their next album will have a little bit of a mix. (But of course I'll be happy with whatever they do, because I'm sure it will be fabulous. :) )

Anyway, back to Salva Me - to be honest, I like both the older and newer ones. Their 2006 version is the one I listen to the most (my top played Libera song actually), but the 1999 version (I think it was from 1999 anyway) is really awesome.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Welcome to the forum.

In general I tend to agree; I generally enjoy the first three albums more than the later ones, although Peace bucked that trend and I think it is excellent. Different in style for sure, but great none the less.

Locus Iste for me - funnily enough the drum and bass you like puts me off a bit! You can please some of the people some of the time as the saying doesn't quite go :D

I'm lazy, which albums were the Salve Me's on that you want me to compare?
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

Welcome Tockwell!

I offer split agreement to the position you have taken. While not a particularly huge
Sanctus fan, I prefer the current rendition to Sanctus II. I don't think the song
benefits from the extra rhythm that II provides.
Salva me is a different matter though. I much prefer the single soloist, drum
enhanced roots of the song rather than what is currently presented.

Because of Libera's regularly changing personnel, there is always
hope that further revisions will occur to best use the resources available.
They have been using a percussionist in concerts for the last two seasons
so perhaps these songs will head back in the direction you prefer.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

I prefer Sanctus II to any other rendtion they have done and wish they would do a new version of the song and freshen it up at the concerts . It has to be played at every concert but that does not mean it has to be the same old same old each time.

Also i prefer Salva when it was sung by one soloist. Nothing tops the Steven G version on youtube when they all wear black :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Tockwell

Post by Tockwell »

Dani I know how you mean, the Steven G version is my favourite. I prefer the 4 notes to 3 of the 'salva' chant though.

Old version on Libera Luminosa (the orange one not the blue one) track 1, but anything of Liam O and Steven G generation. It is indeed on YouTube, with them in black. New version on Libera Eternal disc 1 track 4.

The version of Sam Daminano on Angel Voices is not the original.

In 1984 Libera sang a version of san Damiano with Sal Sol (quite an interesting contrast between him and libera's singing! But I do enjoy it. It is really the start of it all so is important lol. Later Oliver P (I think) sang the solo

Do a search on YouTube and you will find all the clips :mrgreen:
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Hi Tockwell,
Welcome! I think you are referring to the untitled Libera debut album from 1999 (the one with the yellow/orangey cover).
I made a list of the versions recorded so far for both songs:

Sanctus
Libera (1999)
I like this one because of its nostalgic feel
Luminosa (2001) > Sanctus II
I like this one least of all precisely because of the drums
Visions (2005) > Locus Iste
I like this one because of the added words which mean a lot to me personally
Angel Voices in concert (2007)
I like this one for the longer intro, but it's a pity that the final Sanctus is replaced by a violin solo (sorry Fiona :wink: )
Eternal (2009)
I like this one for its power and Ed's solo

Salva Me
Libera (1999)
I like this because of the heavy arrangement, the dramatic whispers and the overall feel of Libera stepping firmly into the future
Angel Voices in concert (2007)
Probably my favourite because of Joe S's Salvas and the live feel of it
Eternal (2009)
I like this for the floating feeling of freedom it gives

I think the ones on Eternal were also on the 2006 Angel Voices mini album.
Now that I did some homework for this topic, can someone post a link to the Steven G version?
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
timjanni

Post by timjanni »

maartendas wrote: ...
Now that I did some homework for this topic, can someone post a link to the Steven G version?
That might be this one:
[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
Prototype

Post by Prototype »

Same here, I prefer a lot of the earlier arrangments on their first album Libera, such as "Libera", "Salva Me", and "Lux Aeterna", which was retitled "In Paradisum" on the album "New Dawn". And I much prefer the version of "Gaudete" on the album Luminosa to any other.

That said, I love a lot of their new music too.