Ralph Skan

Current and former Members of Libera

Moderator: Moderators

maartendas
Diamond Member

Ralph Skan

Post by maartendas »

I can't believe there wasn't a topic about Ralph yet ;) I seem to make all these new topics when I just want to leave a single comment about a certain member :lol:
Anyway, Ralph has ofcourse grown in the past two years as one of Libera's main and most beloved soloists. His voice has seemed to be developing wonderfully over the past year and many fans also speak warmly of his personality which they encounter at M&G's. A kind and humble soul it seems, and especially gifted.

I for one have always been struck by his solo in The Fountain from the first time I heard it and some of you know that I went to Epsom partly because it would be a chance to hear him sing it live which was my wish ever since the song became dear to me.
I remember that night as being really his night, with so many wonderful solos, sung so composed even though there were some difficulties sometimes (several boys seemed to deal with colds at the time ;)). I also remember his very clear and gentle solo on When A Knight Won His Spurs which was perfect for this new charming arrangement they had made. And ofcourse the world premiere of Song of Life, a song which has rapidly become one of Libera fans' favourites, and Ralph does a superb job at it.

Having said all that, now the comment I merely meant to make ;) and that is that his style of singing recently is so full of emotion that I am inclined to call him a real artist. When you look at the videos of Himig Ng Pasko, the QVC appearance and O Holy Night, you see he often has his eyes closed, immersed in song and really feeling the words.
Every chorister has his own signature style of singing but Ralph's is the most touching to me right now. So I want to salute this gentle artistic soul and pray he may retain this wonderful humbleness and sensitivity as he grows :)

(thanks to DearMadine for the screenshot)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Soliir

Re: Ralph Skan

Post by Soliir »

Before we met Ralph in Philippines, he was just a normal boy for us. After we back to China, he is our No.1 favorite. :)
This boy got magic! :lol:
carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

I, too, just really love watching Ralph when he sings. It looks like he lets the music take over and his singing and movement just become one smooth and fluid action. He is a beautiful lad, inside and out. From the very first time I listened to the Fountain and took a guess that he was the owner of that stunning voice to this day that he has taken up more solo responsibilities, I just love how humble he has stayed. He's one of those boys that always has a ready smile. Probably one of the kindest kids I've met. The Libera boys all have different personalities. Ben Philipp makes you comfortable by being his outgoing, gregarious self, Kavana by just being good in PR all-around, mini James before with his adorable cuteness, and so the list goes. Ralph makes you feel welcome because of his humility and sincerity.

I was so happy to finally hear him sing The Fountain live in Oct. Brought tears to my eyes, that one.
"I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!" - Melvin Udall

Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

I definitely agree carina & maarten!!! When I first saw him among the other boys in 2008, this boy had me. Then I was very curious about him & look at this wonderful person to whom he has grown up now! He's so warm-hearted, friendly, sensitive & to the Libera mini-boys so carefully. And he's very thankfully about his success how we could see in the qvc-interview.
There's nothing bad to say about Ralph, really sero sero nada nothing bad :D
For me he's a very wonderful special person.
liberainchicago

Post by liberainchicago »

He really did well on the O Holy Night vid.
Julia
Silver Member

Post by Julia »

Ralph is such a great kid. He never ceases to amaze me with his vocal talent. Wish I could sing like that :)
Even more than that, he really truly seems to appreciate the fans, and he always has a smile on his face. He is so careing to the younger boys, and he really lights up the world around him just by being himself :D not many people have that gift.

All that to say that this is a great topic for a great Libera boy. Hope he stays for a very, very long time, and that he always keeps his sweet disposition :D A truly rare thirteen year-old :wink:
dolorosa, flumenosa, desolata, lacrimabila-
the water sighs for me
Through teardrops now I see
The streaming water knows
The fountain overflows

To cry for all, to wash all sorrows in waves of peace and love
Free my thirsty soul again
O living fountain

Twitter Acount: ArtisticTempest
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

In the Singapore concert thread, carina_gino20 posted an interview with Barney and Ralph : http://www.citynews.sg/2012/03/the-life-of-a-choir-boy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When asked about his most memorable performance, Ralph answers: "I think that was the Papal Mass at the Yankee Stadium—that was amazing." But I don't see him in the footage of that day. Did the cameras miss him?

[youtube][/youtube]
Lauren
Silver Member

Post by Lauren »

maartendas wrote:In the Singapore concert thread, carina_gino20 posted an interview with Barney and Ralph : http://www.citynews.sg/2012/03/the-life-of-a-choir-boy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When asked about his most memorable performance, Ralph answers: "I think that was the Papal Mass at the Yankee Stadium—that was amazing." But I don't see him in the footage of that day. Did the cameras miss him?
I thought that was strange also since that's the answer Kavana usually gives. The Papal Mass in April 2008 was the last stop on their US tour - Buffalo, Hartford, Albany, Pittsburg & NYC. They took 19 boys, but Ralph was not one of them. I wonder if the author of the article got the quotes from Ralph & Kavana mixed up.
http://www.mini-angels.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
madine_lover

Post by madine_lover »

Lauren wrote:
maartendas wrote:In the Singapore concert thread, carina_gino20 posted an interview with Barney and Ralph : http://www.citynews.sg/2012/03/the-life-of-a-choir-boy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I thought that was strange also since that's the answer Kavana usually gives. The Papal Mass in April 2008 was the last stop on their US tour - Buffalo, Hartford, Albany, Pittsburg & NYC. They took 19 boys, but Ralph was not one of them. I wonder if the author of the article got the quotes from Ralph & Kavana mixed up.
OMJ! Thanks Lauren. Yes, I think they mixed up Ralph and Kavana. Besides the Papal Mass answer, "suggestion from his teaches to try Libera audition. That one is the usual answer of Kavana if people ask him how he joins Libera.
"...when we came together, we made the sound, that is LIBERA ..."
http://madinelover.blogspot.com
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

I thought this was a curious answer as well, although I took Ralph's answer to mean that he thought the
Yankee Stadium experience was most memorable for Libera - not for him personally.

Ralph's first appearance on US shores was at St Margaret in Palm Desert, California in 2009.
To my knowledge, his first public appearance with Libera was the performance after
Yankee Stadium at Queen Elizabeth Hall, London in May 2008.
lacrymosa2
Silver Member

Post by lacrymosa2 »

"Kavana Crossley has done an interview with a local publication! We'll share it when it becomes available." @LiberaSingapore
I think therein lies the answer...
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Then again... Mumford & Sons sounds like a band Ralph would like.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

I think it is Kavana - it ties in with the statement of being in the choir for 6 half years. I don't think Ralph would have sat 2 years on the probation bench, I'm guessing Ralph was more a 10-11 entry rather than 7-8.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez