Cross-cultural issues

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: Cross-cultural issues

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote: :lol: Just tea and a biscuit? :wink:
Not just any old biscuit - a chocolate Hobnob or two. Excellent dunker the Hobnob.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
viabuona
Gold Member

Post by viabuona »

Yorkie wrote: Not just any old biscuit - a chocolate Hobnob or two. Excellent dunker the Hobnob.
Of course, and an old Scotish Highland tea or two or three or fou ouur fivxs orhm neven :lol:
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

viabuona wrote:
Yorkie wrote: Not just any old biscuit - a chocolate Hobnob or two. Excellent dunker the Hobnob.
Of course, and an old Scotish Highland tea or two or three or fou ouur fivxs orhm neven :lol:
Scottish Highland tea? Yorkshire Gold blend tea for me. Mind you, Walkers shortbread is rather excellent and morish......

Mercy & Love
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

Yorkie wrote: Yorkshire Gold blend tea for me. Mind you, Walkers shortbread is rather excellent and morish......
Sounds tasty!

Just had Peppermint tea with Honey! MMM... :D I even added some Milk to get it not so hot.
maartendas wrote: My first real introduction with that came at my b&b in London in March. I could help myself to a choice of cereal and yoghurt, tea or coffee, fruit juice, and toast...
I also had full English breakfast at Epsom in March (for the third time, probably)! It was pretty good, I was even able to wait until lunch time :lol:
sf@gnum wrote:
Murkskis wrote:No idea! Please, tell us!
Unfortunately, I can not give you an example, now you'll understand why.

The fact is that in Russian, some oriental surnames and names sound .... indecent. (indecent - it's softly told). Image
Therefore, commenters replace some letters in the names so as not to arouse the audience laugh.
So it goes. Image
Yeah, I got it!Image Thanks! :lol:
No need to mention it right now :mrgreen:
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

Last Friday we got this both in english lesson:
b.jpg
b.jpg (216.67 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
b.jpg
b.jpg (216.67 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
hannah_kirstin
Silver Member

Post by hannah_kirstin »

Sue, that was hilarious! They taught you that in English class?? Wonder what the Brits think about your diagram. :lol:
You are shelter from the storm
The shadows fade away
All cares pass away...
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

Yes really, in english class last Friday. Our teacher said its a cartoon & our homework was to describe 'what image of the British do the cartoon convey?' . I wrote that this isn't a realistic image of the British :)
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Sue wrote:Yes really, in english class last Friday. Our teacher said its a cartoon & our homework was to describe 'what image of the British do the cartoon convey?' . I wrote that this isn't a realistic image of the British :)
Oh, it's actually pretty accurate.......we are always a bit grumpy on holiday because we can never get a sun bed :mrgreen:

Mercy & Love
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

Ha ha, really? You fast get a sunburn, right? :D Our next homework is to make notes about what it meant to be german & I've no idea :P It's only that we all have a inherited guilty conscience cause of Adolf Hitler & we're grumpy, too. :lol:
natsumi

Post by natsumi »

Sue wrote:Ha ha, really? You fast get a sunburn, right? :D Our next homework is to make notes about what it meant to be german & I've no idea :P It's only that we all have a inherited guilty conscience cause of Adolf Hitler & we're grumpy, too. :lol:

wow ur english teacher sure makes u do...interesting homework...lol :lol:
but that diagram was REALLy funny lol
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Sue wrote:Ha ha, really? You fast get a sunburn, right? :D Our next homework is to make notes about what it meant to be german & I've no idea :P It's only that we all have a inherited guilty conscience cause of Adolf Hitler & we're grumpy, too. :lol:
You could write about your musical heritage.
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

Good idea Tully :)
I have 7 key points now..North Sea & Baltic Sea is one, health insurance is one, welfare & income support. Most time the Germans eat away from home (restaurants, bars, snack takeaway, kiosks) & frequently we don't pay with credit cards, more cash here in Germany.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Don't forget the beer.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

One thing I also associate with Germans is how well-organised and precise they always seem to be. Deutsche Gründlichkeit :D
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

And Autobahns* :wink:
''German autobahns have no general speed limit (though about 47% of the total length is subject to local and/or conditional limits), but the advisory speed limit (Richtgeschwindigkeit) is 130 kilometres per hour (81 mph).''