My European Trip

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

emmaclaire

My European Trip

Post by emmaclaire »

So for my 16th birthday next year, I do not want the typical "Sweet 16" Party because I am not the partying type and I don't really like a lot of attention. My parents said that I have the option of where to go for a trip instead and I can bring 2 friends plus my cousins. So I choose to go to Europe! I would absolutely do anything to go to Paris, London, Florence and Rome over a 2-3 week period. And they are said that is okay with them! :D So does anyone have any suggestions of hotels or sight seeing places that would be awesome to visit?! :D
Thoughts of love surrond you
Everywhere around you
maartendas
Diamond Member

Re: My European Trip

Post by maartendas »

I hear Norbury (in South London) has a nice church choir :roll: ;)
So are those the cities you will go to? No Amsterdam? ;)
As for London, there are tons of churches to visit, almost all of them have world class choirs who perform sung services everyday: Westminster Abbey, St. Paul's Cathedral, Westminster Cathedral etc. Not to be missed if you like choirs! You should also catch a performance of Billy Elliot the Musical :D
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
emmaclaire

Post by emmaclaire »

maartendas wrote:I hear Norbury (in South London) has a nice church choir :roll: ;)
So are those the cities you will go to? No Amsterdam? ;)
As for London, there are tons of churches to visit, almost all of them have world class choirs who perform sung services everyday: Westminster Abbey, St. Paul's Cathedral, Westminster Cathedral etc. Not to be missed if you like choirs! You should also catch a performance of Billy Elliot the Musical :D
Hahaha! So if I actually went to St. Phillips on Sunday they would be there?
Thanks so much for the good suggestions. I definitely wanted to check out some of the old churches. I've been dying to see Billy Elliot too! Girls on my dance company always tell me how good it is. Thanks for the help for my London stay!
Everywhere around you
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

If your in London.

Without a doubt, Billy Elliot is an absoloute must see show.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
emmaclaire

Post by emmaclaire »

paul30003 wrote: Without a doubt, Billy Elliot is an absoloute must see show.
Then I will definitely be seeing Billy Elliot! :D
Everywhere around you
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

danncer96 wrote: Hahaha! So if I actually went to St. Phillips on Sunday they would be there?
Their choir sings in the 9.45 am Eucharist service on Sunday. Some boys from Libera as well as some former members usually sing with the choir and Robert Prizeman directs them. There is also an Evensong every Sunday at 6.30 pm. Obviously they sing just regular church repertoire ;)
And yes, Billy is a must-see. But don't get addicted, 'cause you wouldn't be able to get your regular fix like Paul :lol:
emmaclaire

Post by emmaclaire »

maartendas wrote: Their choir sings in the 9.45 am Eucharist service on Sunday. Some boys from Libera as well as some former members usually sing with the choir and Robert Prizeman directs them. There is also an Evensong every Sunday at 6.30 pm. Obviously they sing just regular church repertoire ;)
And yes, Billy is a must-see. But don't get addicted, 'cause you wouldn't be able to get your regular fix like Paul :lol:
And of my understanding St. Phillips is an Anglican Church? I am Roman Catholic but it shouldn't be too much different. I would go to that. And my mom said that she heard so many amazing things about Billy Elliot. She said it's a must see.
Everywhere around you
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

maartendas wrote: And yes, Billy is a must-see. But don't get addicted, 'cause you wouldn't be able to get your regular fix like Paul :lol:
Did not get a Billy fix this weekend, so suffering bad withdrawal right now, but calming myself with BETM original cast soudtrack :)
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

danncer96 wrote:And of my understanding St. Phillips is an Anglican Church? I am Roman Catholic but it shouldn't be too much different. I would go to that. And my mom said that she heard so many amazing things about Billy Elliot. She said it's a must see.
Yes St. Philips is Anglican. I am Roman Catholic as well and have been to St. Philip's twice. The details are different, but you would have to be keen to notice them :)
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

danncer96 wrote: And of my understanding St. Phillips is an Anglican Church? I am Roman Catholic but it shouldn't be too much different. I would go to that.
Yes St P's is Anglican, but it is high church and therefore shouldn't be too difficult for you to adjust to.

It is certainly possible to squeeze in all the cities you mention in a two or three week trip but it might not be cheap. When ever I plan a trip the first place I turn to is Trip Advisor - reliable for hotel reviews and great for ideas on things to do. There will be separateforums for each city you want to go to.

Hope your plans come together and you have the trip of a lifetime.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
emmaclaire

Post by emmaclaire »

maartendas wrote: Yes St. Philips is Anglican. I am Roman Catholic as well and have been to St. Philip's twice. The details are different, but you would have to be keen to notice them :)
Would I recieve the Eucharist or no? And that's good to hear that it isn't that different :D
Everywhere around you
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote: Yes St. Philips is Anglican. I am Roman Catholic as well and have been to St. Philip's twice. The details are different, but you would have to be keen to notice them :)
I'm not very religious as you know Maartendas. I've heard that the difference between RC and high church Anglican is that the Anglican service is all English (no latin), Saints don't really feature in CofE (paricularly The Madonna) and of course there is no transubstantiation. the rest (other than songs and choirs :D ) is not different - high church Anglican is basically catholic without the Rome :wink:

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

danncer96 wrote: Would I recieve the Eucharist or no? And that's good to hear that it isn't that different :D
Yes. Sort of. In the CofE the wine and wafer represent the blood and body of Christ, they do not believe it becomes the blood and body of Christ.

The CofE (Church of England) allows anybody to partake in the Communion if the are Christened but I believe that Rome is none too happy with it's followers taking Communion in none RC churches. I know quite a few Catholics who do though :D

Mercy & Love
emmaclaire

Post by emmaclaire »

Yorkie wrote:
Yes. Sort of. In the CofE the wine and wafer represent the blood and body of Christ, they do not believe it becomes the blood and body of Christ.

The CofE (Church of England) allows anybody to partake in the Communion if the are Christened but I believe that Rome is none too happy with it's followers taking Communion in none RC churches. I know quite a few Catholics who do though :D
I'll recieve it. Why not? lol
Everywhere around you
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

danncer96 wrote: Would I recieve the Eucharist or no?
I think officially the Roman Catholic church does not recognize the Anglican Eucharist. But the Anglican church welcomes "all baptised Christians who receive communion in their own churches to receive communion" (this is a quote from the liturgy I kept from St. Paul's Cathedral, also Anglican). So yes, you are welcome :)

In St. Philip's they offer both the host and the wine. The choir goes first and then everybody else. You kneel in a row before the altar. First everyone is offered the host, then they pass around the chalice.
It is also possible to indicate you want a blessing instead. I think by keeping your head bowed or by folding your arms across your chest. Paul, please correct me if I'm wrong - you are a regular at St. Philip's.

Ofcourse it is ultimately up to you whether you take communion or not. Personally, I hold the belief that the choice to receive communion is between you and Jesus Christ. And I believe He offers his gifts freely to all those who want to receive them with gladness :)