The Christmas Album CD (2011)

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

paul
Site Admin

Re: The Christmas Album CD

Post by paul »

EMImusic wrote:Unfortunately, it seems Billboard no longer puts up the Classical Traditional chart on their public website (sigh)...we've put it up on our site here: http://www.emiclassicsus.com/press_medi ... al-charts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't think Yorkie's going to be to happy that Mormon Tabernacle's are holding Libera from top spot :/

Wks On TW RK Artist Title
25 1 MORMON TABERNACLE CHOIR THIS IS THE CHRIST
4 2 LIBERA CHRISTMAS ALBUM
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

How many copies do you have to roughly sell to get to the top 10 in this chart?

I am assuming its a lot less than the normal billboard charts :)
hannah_kirstin
Silver Member

Post by hannah_kirstin »

JimmyRiddle wrote: The Philippines has us all beat though. Three weeks at overall No1 and still inside the top 10 of many charts some 5-6 weeks later.
Yayyy for Philippine fans! :D Hope EMI goes through with the advertising campaign like they promised. The boys need all the exposure they can get! :)
You are shelter from the storm
The shadows fade away
All cares pass away...
Nikki178
Silver Member

Post by Nikki178 »

hannah_kirstin wrote:
JimmyRiddle wrote: The Philippines has us all beat though. Three weeks at overall No1 and still inside the top 10 of many charts some 5-6 weeks later.
Yayyy for Philippine fans! :D Hope EMI goes through with the advertising campaign like they promised. The boys need all the exposure they can get! :)
Really? We beat Japan? I thought they were more popular there. But no complaints here. :wink:
Benj
Silver Member

Post by Benj »

Honestly i think Libera can still do a lot better in the Philippines with sustained advertising. Just simple billboards inside music stores would suffice. Haven't seen any in the malls i'ven been to so far. I want them to get a gold record at least.

Still, it's remarkable that they are still in the top 10 after 6 six weeks. There's a lot of competition especially from local artists whose albums cost only half the price!
labbie

Post by labbie »

As of tonight, The Christmas Album is # 13 on Amazon Canada. It does tend to fluctuate from day to day. I would imagine that daily rankings depend upon how many sales/orders were made on any given day, but I am not really sure. By now, most of you are aware that I am quite willing to state my case for Libera's popularity here in Canada. As yet, I have not seen the Christmas CD in any retail stores in my area. An employee in my local HMV outlet admitted that EMI Canada seems to have trouble procuring copies for sale in Canadian retail outlets, which is why that particular HMV store did not have it, and that if I wanted to buy more copies for gifts, etc. (of course, I already bought mine from Amazon.ca), Amazon would still be the way to go. I hope that EMI Canada can come up with additional ways to get this album and the wonderful sound of Libera out to the Canadian public.

I did get an answer to an e-mail that I sent to the Classical FM 96.3 station in Toronto. I had been wondering if they had the Christmas CD. They told me that they already had their copy of "The Christmas Album", and as the season progressed, would be giving it more airplay. That is wonderful news, indeed!
BruceH

Post by BruceH »

Libera has indicated that The Christmas Album will be featured on Classic FM in the UK. Elsewhere I read that this can not be heard online in the US. That is not correct. For instance I am currently listening to it on my IPad. You can use The Internet service "Vtuner Internet Radio" or ap "Tunein Radio." Just search in it for "Clssic FM" and select the London station. I can even get it on my stereo receiver because the manufacturer (a UK company by the way) supplies a special version of Vtuner that works with their equipment.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

paul30003 wrote:
EMImusic wrote:Unfortunately, it seems Billboard no longer puts up the Classical Traditional chart on their public website (sigh)...we've put it up on our site here: http://www.emiclassicsus.com/press_medi ... al-charts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't think Yorkie's going to be to happy that Mormon Tabernacle's are holding Libera from top spot :/

Wks On TW RK Artist Title
25 1 MORMON TABERNACLE CHOIR THIS IS THE CHRIST
4 2 LIBERA CHRISTMAS ALBUM
The Mormons are quite disciplined. When MTC puts something out they ALL have to buy it.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

BruceH wrote:Libera has indicated that The Christmas Album will be featured on Classic FM in the UK.
John Suchet has already started to play songs from libera's Christmas album in his Classic FM Show.

So far he's played O Come, O Come Emmanuel (yesterday@11:35) and today Nicolas Owen has featured While Shepherds... (12:38) ... glad they are being played on Britain's most listened too classical music radio station.

They are placed in the Classic FM charts at No.18 up one place from last week.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

For Nov. 28 to Dec. 4, in Astro Charts (Philippines), The Christmas Album is sitting at #7 Foreign Category.
http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?ar ... egoryId=70
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

On the (Yorkshire) Evening Post, a dynamic review of the the Christmas Album :)

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/l ... _1_4041585" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Libera features a bunch of hand-picked choirboys, assembled, you have to imagine, to inject a bit of fresh-faced charm into the fusty world of the choral tradition.

Their Christmas offering tackles a handful of the usual festive suspects, from carols old and new – O Holy Night, Joy To The World, Once in Royal David’s City – to familiar pop songs – Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, White Christmas – and delivers them in a soft and breathy style that makes the Choir of King’s College sound like Extreme Noise Terror. The arrangements have been thoroughly Enya-ised too, with an unconvincing ‘cathedral reverb’ effect.

This is all fine if the Christmas story that plays out in your head has Herod proclaiming, “A new king? I’ll get me coat”, but even the most misty-eyed sentimentalist will think these songs deserve a bit more gusto.

At its best, like on the twinkle-toed Still, Still, Still, the angelic sparkle recalls the heavenly magic of Danny Elfman’s famously swoonsome soundtrack for Edward Scissorhands, but most of the time The Christmas Album has as much depth as a frosting of icing sugar. With all the othery sugary goodies you’re liable to be consuming over the holiday, it’s liable to leave you feeling a little queasy.
dearmadine
Silver Member

Post by dearmadine »

fan_de_LoK wrote:On the (Yorkshire) Evening Post, a dynamic review of the the Christmas Album :)

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/l ... _1_4041585" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Libera features a bunch of hand-picked choirboys, assembled, you have to imagine, to inject a bit of fresh-faced charm into the fusty world of the choral tradition.

Their Christmas offering tackles a handful of the usual festive suspects, from carols old and new – O Holy Night, Joy To The World, Once in Royal David’s City – to familiar pop songs – Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, White Christmas – and delivers them in a soft and breathy style that makes the Choir of King’s College sound like Extreme Noise Terror. The arrangements have been thoroughly Enya-ised too, with an unconvincing ‘cathedral reverb’ effect.

This is all fine if the Christmas story that plays out in your head has Herod proclaiming, “A new king? I’ll get me coat”, but even the most misty-eyed sentimentalist will think these songs deserve a bit more gusto.

At its best, like on the twinkle-toed Still, Still, Still, the angelic sparkle recalls the heavenly magic of Danny Elfman’s famously swoonsome soundtrack for Edward Scissorhands, but most of the time The Christmas Album has as much depth as a frosting of icing sugar. With all the othery sugary goodies you’re liable to be consuming over the holiday, it’s liable to leave you feeling a little queasy.
Thanks Patrick! I like this review much better than the BBC rant! :D
BEAUTIFUL STRANGERS*
http://dearmadine.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
danieb88
Silver Member

Post by danieb88 »

I didnt think it was a very good review at all :S maybe im miss-reading it but it sounds like they think its generally a bad album? sorry maybe im wrong?
Danie :D
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

danieb88 wrote:I didnt think it was a very good review at all :S maybe im miss-reading it but it sounds like they think its generally a bad album? sorry maybe im wrong?
No, you're right - it's a bad review I'm afraid.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

but most of the time The Christmas Album has as much depth as a frosting of icing sugar. With all the othery sugary goodies you’re liable to be consuming over the holiday, it’s liable to leave you feeling a little queasy.

Ouch :(

Also Enyised ... thats not good.