Libera on the Radio

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

labbie

Libera on the Radio

Post by labbie »

From all that we have seen in the past, it is well known that Libera's music has a widespread appeal over all age groups in the Far East (Japan, Korea, the Philippines). People in these countries seem to have a more objective attitude toward this type of music, and it is more likely to be part of the popular music charts in those countries, than it is in places like North America. Back in the 1960s in Canada and the U.S., it was possible to hear songs based on classical music, or even classical pieces played on what was then known as "Top 40" radio. At present, popular tastes in music are very narrow-minded. Sadly, (and to the best of my knowledge), artists such as Libera will never get airplay on contemporary mainstream radio. The only stations that will play their music are classical radio stations on FM. Programming regulations and playlists prevent radio stations from playing a wider variety of genres. I've always thought that the public should be able to decide what they want to hear, and not some regulatory organization. Here in Canada, the CRTC and other organizations have, through their control of the broadcast industry, diluted the quality of music played on mainstream radio. Imagine what it would be like to be able to listen to Libera, Taylor Swift, Josh Groban, Yundi Li, Rascal Flatts, U2 and Bon Jovi on the same station. I realize that this may be too idealistic and therefore an impossibility given that most stations are trying to reach a certain target audience. Stated more realistically, I think, however, that a relaxing of stringent broadcast regulations would allow those who listen to adult contemporary or pop stations to experience a wider variety of genres. This is another of my rather lengthy posts, but it is an opinion that I've wanted to express on the forum for some time now. The reference to Billboard gave me the idea to create this post. Thanks for reading it.
labbie

Re: Libera on the Radio ?

Post by labbie »

Sorry about posting under the wrong topic. Perhaps I should have created another topic for this post. I don't object to having it moved to the Misc category. It's just that the comment mentioning Billboard had inspired me to write it.
jesuspeace34

Post by jesuspeace34 »

I wish that Libera was more available on the radio here in North America. I remember I requested them once and the radio station replied that they do not play choir music, even though it was a religious radio station. :?
labbie

Re: Libera on the Radio

Post by labbie »

Hmmmm. A religious radio station that does not play choir music. It makes you wonder what they do play.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Religious stations in the US might play gospel, "Christian Rock", and country songs with a religious leaning. Personally I have yet to hear any "Christian Rock" that I liked. I prefer my Christian music to have a more ethereal quality, like Libera.
labbie

Re: Libera on the Radio

Post by labbie »

I agree. In Kitchener, we have a station called Faith FM. Most of it is discordant Christian rock or country gospel, although on Wednesday evenings there is a classics show for an hour and a half which features traditional church music. I have heard Libera on a couple of occasions on that show. I wonder if it might have anything to do with the fact that Libera recently gave a concert at the Centre in the Square as part of the Canadian tour. Otherwise, the only other way to hear them is on a classical station based in Toronto (96.3) which for many listeners is only available through the digital cable TV service.