Salt and Light TV interview

Talk about Libera Videos, Movies and Photos here.

Moderator: Moderators

TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Re: Canada Concerts

Post by TullyBascombe »

JimmyRiddle wrote:
He mentioned something about Libera having sung with Elton John. I have seen his name mentioned in connection with Libera before but does anyone know more about this collaboration?
from boysoloist.com
Libera (as the Angel Voices Choir) on Elton John's CD. They provided backing vocal for one track - Live like horses
[youtube][/youtube]
How very much I miss him. When will we see the likes of Lucien Pavrotti again?
dani
Diamond Member

Re: Salt and Light TV interview

Post by dani »

A really nice interview and Kavanna is quite the spokesman :)
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Salt and Light TV interview is now available on youtube In 720p HD ;)
Maybe it was before ? But I was only aware of the lower quality embeded video on the salt and light website.

[youtube][/youtube]
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
jols

Post by jols »

It took me several hours :!: for me to watch this, there's a problem on our signal and sometimes it stops and we need to wait for it again... Phew, but its worth it, especially on the things that Freddie said... :D Really love that kid, but he sure is really a silent type, he didn't talk too much
Josh: Everyone in Libera has their own personality and their own way of singing. But when we come together, we become..... LIBERA
bamboo
Silver Member

Re: Canada Concerts

Post by bamboo »

JimmyRiddle wrote: <span title="Thu May 26, 2011 1:06 pm">13 years ago</span> from boysoloist.com
Libera (as the Angel Voices Choir) on Elton John's CD. They provided backing vocal for one track - Live like horses
[youtube][/youtube]
They sang live with Elton John & Luciano Pavarotti too:

Any idea who are the boys at 2:45?
Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Post by Amie_Hill »

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 3.02.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 3.02.23 PM.png (146.51 KiB) Viewed 3700 times
Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 3.02.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 3.02.23 PM.png (146.51 KiB) Viewed 3700 times
The two in front are Adam Harris and Liam O' Kane. In back, not sure after informed posts by Liberation.

It's probably some of the same cast of characters as the "I Have a Dream" video:
Last edited by Amie_Hill on Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Post by Amie_Hill »

Not sure who these two are, though. Could the bottom one be Alex Baron?
Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 3.26.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 3.26.12 PM.png (181.3 KiB) Viewed 3694 times
Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 3.26.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 3.26.12 PM.png (181.3 KiB) Viewed 3694 times
bamboo
Silver Member

Post by bamboo »

Amie_Hill wrote: <span title="Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:08 pm">4 years ago</span> Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 3.02.23 PM.pngThe two in front are Adam Harris and Liam O' Kane. In back, Simon Lewis (I think) and Jake Shortall. I also see Joe Sanders-Wilde.

It's probably some of the same cast of characters as the "I Have a Dream" video:
The video was said to be performed live in 1996, so I don't think it's possible that Jake Shortall (born in 1991), Joe Sanders-Wilde (1991) and Simon Lewis (born in 1990) are around. Even if the 1996 date isn't accurate, Liam still looks quite young to me and he was born in 1984, so I'm guessing the 1990s is probably the era in which this live performance occurred. Also, the studio recording (https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/p ... -the-duets) has Daren Geraghty, Gary Francis, Steven Geraghty, Adam Harris, Liam O'Kane, Ciaran McGullagh, Christopher Baron and Alex Baron as background vocalists.
Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Post by Amie_Hill »

bamboo wrote: <span title="Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:46 am">4 years ago</span>
Amie_Hill wrote: <span title="Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:08 pm">4 years ago</span> Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 3.02.23 PM.pngThe two in front are Adam Harris and Liam O' Kane. In back, Simon Lewis (I think) and Jake Shortall. I also see Joe Sanders-Wilde.

The video was said to be performed live in 1996, so I don't think it's possible that Jake Shortall (born in 1991), Joe Sanders-Wilde (1991) and Simon Lewis (born in 1990) are around. Even if the 1996 date isn't accurate, Liam still looks quite young to me and he was born in 1984, so I'm guessing the 1990s is probably the era in which this live performance occurred. Also, the studio recording (https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/p ... -the-duets) has Daren Geraghty, Gary Francis, Steven Geraghty, Adam Harris, Liam O'Kane, Ciaran McGullagh, Christopher Baron and Alex Baron as background vocalists.
You're absolutely right; what was I thinking? (It was late.) Any idea on the two boys in back? (The two in front are definitely Adam Harris and Liam O' Kane, looking just a little younger than in their 1997 "Salva Me" video.) Ciaran McGullagh is a totally new name to me, and is not on Dinedorelle's "Libera Members Timeline" spreadsheet as yet. Can you post screenshot photos of Gary Francis and Ciaran for us from the IHAD video, as I don't think there are any clear ones around, and I'm not sure which is which. Thanks so much for your input.
Liberation
Silver Member

Post by Liberation »

You're absolutely right; what was I thinking? (It was late.) Any idea on the two boys in back? (The two in front are definitely Adam Harris and Liam O' Kane, looking just a little younger than in their 1997 "Salva Me" video.) Ciaran McGullagh is a totally new name to me, and is not on Dinedorelle's "Libera Members Timeline" spreadsheet as yet. Can you post screenshot photos of Gary Francis and Ciaran for us from the IHAD video, as I don't think there are any clear ones around, and I'm not sure which is which. Thanks so much for your input.
I did put Ciaran McGullagh in de missing person list on Dinedorelle's post. :D Other names who were on the background are:
Nicholas Philips, Michael Renton, Stephan Trapp, John Weston and Kit Weston. I think the one next to Adam Harris is Chris Baron.
Here's on picture with the boys from the 1995 De Profundis video (Libera remix) it featured Kit and Gary
from left to right;
Kit Weston, Daren Geraghty, Gary Francis and in the middle below is Richard ….
LiberaDeProfundis.jpg
LiberaDeProfundis.jpg (67.06 KiB) Viewed 3621 times
LiberaDeProfundis.jpg
LiberaDeProfundis.jpg (67.06 KiB) Viewed 3621 times
Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Post by Amie_Hill »

Liberation wrote: <span title="Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:49 am">4 years ago</span>
I did put Ciaran McGullagh in de missing person list on Dinedorelle's post. :D Other names who were on the background are:
Nicholas Philips, Michael Renton, Stephan Trapp, John Weston and Kit Weston. I think the one next to Adam Harris is Chris Baron.
Here's on picture with the boys from the 1995 De Profundis video (Libera remix) it featured Kit and Gary
from left to right;
LiberaDeProfundis.jpg
Thank you so much. The contributions by you, Dinedorelle and others are a real breakthrough.
bamboo
Silver Member

Post by bamboo »

Liberation wrote: <span title="Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:49 am">4 years ago</span> I did put Ciaran McGullagh in de missing person list on Dinedorelle's post. :D Other names who were on the background are:
from left to right;
LiberaDeProfundis.jpg
Wow thanks so much for the names and the photos! :) Just curious, where did you get all the info of the members of St Philips Boys Choir/Angel Voices?
Liberation
Silver Member

Post by Liberation »

bamboo wrote: <span title="Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:47 am">4 years ago</span>
Liberation wrote: <span title="Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:49 am">4 years ago</span> I did put Ciaran McGullagh in de missing person list on Dinedorelle's post. :D Other names who were on the background are:
from left to right;
LiberaDeProfundis.jpg
Wow thanks so much for the names and the photos! :) Just curious, where did you get all the info of the members of St Philips Boys Choir/Angel Voices?
That's just years and years of research. In the beginning of the millennium there were a lot more fora and blogs about Libera and by checking all the albums which featured Libera / Angel voices / St. Philip's.
You can stil find foto's of album inlay's with names on "Discogs" for example. Which can be helpful if you don't own the album yourself.
Dinedorelle
Silver Member

Post by Dinedorelle »

Liberation wrote: <span title="Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:49 am">4 years ago</span>
from left to right;
LiberaDeProfundis.jpg

This is an interesting post, especially the second Page, which mentions the details of the Elton John/Pavarotti video, and the 1995 picture above.
If Liberation is correct, this a nice transition photo taken of the boys early in 1995. The author has marked 'June 95' on the side, but when the boys had their photos taken here it would have been earlier in the year.

Here's my go at recognition :

The boy on the left is RICHARD. His surname is unknown at this time. He is one of the 'dancing' boys in the Gloria Hunniford 1995 video and he names himself, so we can't be surer that we have the correct name!
His photo from this video is here.

He also appears on the Profundis (Blue Peter) video of 1995, (dancing in that too!)
He's not seen in any publication at hand after that year, so it appears he left the group. This is borne out by his non-appearance in the IHAD video later in 1995. However, he appears on the Angel Voices album cover as early as 1992. See here :

The second boy is DAREN GERAGHTY. He's a stalwart from this period in the group's history although not always easily recognised, as he does look like other members from certain angles. His facial features seemed to have changed really quickly in 1995, as this next photo is him in the IHAD video later in the same year. This seems to be his last year in the group too.

The third boy at the back on the right is CHRIS BARON. One of the two Baron brothers who were in the group at this time, he's easily recognised because he's the brother without the gap in his top front teeth. Also the popular 'curtains' boy's hairstyle of the time is a bit of a giveaway.

Lastly, hiding in the front is LIAM O'KANE. It's not an easy one to identify in this photo as he's hunkered down a bit. His eyes are the clincher for me which always seem slightly closed up. The hair too, which he started to style differently from 1996 (in that 'curtains' style). See here :

So my go at the naming is L to R :

RICHARD ## / DAREN GERAGHTY / LIAM O'KANE / CHRIS BARON
Last edited by Dinedorelle on Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dinedorelle
Silver Member

Post by Dinedorelle »

bamboo wrote: <span title="Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:46 am">4 years ago</span>

The Prestomusic.com link is very interesting indeed.
There's just so much information to sift through that we just have to gain something concrete from this.
Every member on the video set is named, and what part they played, which is really very helpful. It seems they must have asked everybody their names.
We have no reason to believe they've invented names or musical parts, so this is pretty definitive, first-hand information.

I deduced that the left hand column is everyone concerned for the complete DUETS album, so we can't use that.
So under the right hand column on that page we have Elton John, Bernie Taupin: Live Like Horses and those concerned uniquely on that track.
I've highlighted the names of 'Background Vocalists' below, who I'm guessing must be members of Libera on 1st January 1996 (when the website states it was recorded). These are the some of the names (but not all) that Liberation mentions above.

So now there are a few burning questions :

1/ Looking and listening to the video, there's Elton and Pavarotti, and only treble voices as far as my very untrained ear can hear.
This surely means that all those mentioned must have been singing. If this is the case, we have confirmed names of a few previously unknown boys.
We see there are some female names also - does anyone know why this might be?

2/ 13 boys are mentioned but there are only 12 on stage

3/ Have we discovered an old 'brother-combo'?! John and Kit Weston?

For reference sake here are the names of boys we dont yet know :

Ciaran McGullagh
Nicholas Phillips
Michael Renton
John Weston
Stephen Trapp