Member News

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

Mathmaniac
Silver Member

Post by Mathmaniac »

I'm sorry to hear about your cat tcliffy.

Kevin, as for your college search, it sounds like you're thinking of taking on History as your major. Any other possible majors? Also, do you know what type of school (liberal arts, religiously oriented, private, public, large university, small hippie commune,etc.) and where you want to go to school?

To appease the history nuts here, I will throw in my own interest in Native American history and culture. Granted, much of it includes systematic genocide, but that's all behind us, right? (I hope) I'm also a graduate student studying mathematics. I am likely to just get my masters and go into high school teaching in northern NJ, but there's always a possibility of the PhD.

I will also be leaving for camp staff for the summer in a week and a half, teaching 6-10 year old boys (and sometimes their parents) how to shoot archery. Don't worry, no one's been shot...yet. :)
"The true joy of life is the journey. Don't become obsessed with calculating the steps to achieve goals. Instead, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more, cry less, and enjoy the presence of the people around you."
- Dr. John Grieco, 1941-2004
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

To appease the history nuts here, I will throw in my own interest in Native American history and culture.
Cool! Pre-colonial America and European exploration are subfields to my MA major; reading Bartolomé de Las Casas was a real eye-opener. Native American history is really interesting, and their tribal music is pretty interesting, too. :)
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

I'm going to go into European history mainly around the Roman time period. I've always loved Roman history especially since I took Latin in High School. I'm excited about my new term (which doesn't start till the end of August, grrr...) and can't wait for it to start. I'm taking 4 courses.
1) Introduction to Architecture
2) History of 17th and 18th Century Europe
3) Colonial Latin America
4) Basic Statistics
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

Being Irish, I can claim to know absolutley nothing about Native American history.....my loss. You guy's and gals are obviously all highly educated and intellectual; and I have the utmost respect and admiration for anyway who pursues an academic path. I can't say I ever aspired to such heights and only acheived a basic education but then again it was a different generation. I think if I could roll back the clock now I would love to have attempted University or College......

On a separate note and in the interest of sharing news; I would like to let you all know that after becoming the proud father of 4 beautiful boys over the past 15 years, today I became the father of a beautiful baby girl !!! :D She weighed in at a very healthy 8Lbs 4ozs and is extremely healthy.
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Jude Andrew: Parenthood is such a blessing! I hope I get the opportunity for a family someday myself. Congratulations on your newest addition to the family, and best wishes!

In Islam, it is customary to whisper the call to prayer in the ear of a newborn as a way of invoking God's blessing on the child.....maybe you might play Locus iste instead? :)
Urs

Post by Urs »

Jude Andrew: Congratulations to your girl! (I've got three of them :-))
I imagine that this is quite a challenge for her older brothers.

Best wishes to the whole family - especially to the the two females!
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Jude Andrew: Wow, congratulations! It's something worth celebrating, yeah? Best wishes to you and your family!
barlies04
Silver Member

Post by barlies04 »

Jude Andew
may i take this opportunity to add my congratulations to the addition to your family
jim
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

WOW, congratulations Jude Andew. Welcoming a new life is always special. What's her name?
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

Thanks everyone for your kind words, it is much appreciated. It will be very strange having a girl in the house after 4 boys have had the run of the place for so long but I have no doubt she will soon have them wrapped around her little finger :D Her first name is Jessica (we both liked it !) and her second name is Katherine (after her great grand mother).
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

Jessica is a very good choice. It's based on an ancient Hebrew name that means "gift". I hope she brings you great joy and eternal blessings in your life.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Congratulations on your newest addition to your family Jude Andrew :D

As for me, I have been busy with many new features and services that I hope to release on the new Libera Dreams, which I like to call Libera Dreams 8.0 :wink: These new features and services will be released within the next few weeks, testing and redesigning are underway to confirm their stability for the website and our visitors. You can see a list of only some of the new features and services I hope to release in the new 8.0 version of this website :)
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

whew... I'm competing and refereeing at the taekwondo national championships in less than a week. Wish me luck.
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Wow, that sounds like fun...bonne chance!
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

Best of luck tcliffy, let us know how you got on. My nephew lives in Malta (he is 12 and moved there about 3 years ago) and he has been asked to represent the Maltese TaeKwondo team. Hope it all goes well for you.