Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

LennesSL
Silver Member

Post by LennesSL »

Murkskis wrote:Just watched them all !
Jumping in the air and whistling :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks to Yorkie once more! :D
:lol: I know what you mean. I spend all evening trying to sing Electricity with that accent they have.. :D.. (My mom asked me if I was feeling okay ;) )
Life is but a journey
Tides are always turning
Seasons come and go here but you’ll never be alone here
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

LennesSL wrote:

:lol: I know what you mean. I spend all evening trying to sing Electricity with that accent they have.. :D.. (My mom asked me if I was feeling okay ;) )
It's a tough accent for Brits to understand so no idea how people for whom English is a second language do (to be fair Europeans seem to do better at British accents than Americans who really struggle with anything that isn't The Queen or Cockney :wink: ).

The first three BETM Billy's giving the first ever glimpse of what was in store for the public when the curtain lifted (or dropped I suppose) at the Victoria Palace Theatre a few months later:

[youtube][/youtube]
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

LennesSL wrote:

It's pretty contagious :D Kind of enthusiasm :D
Actually I was trying some well forgotten moves from Taekwandoo (I spent just a bit more than a year to do this sport when I was a teenager) and I quickly found out that it might be harmful activity to do without warming up!

And I tried that accent as well :lol:
But I think I was rubbish ...
Anyway- it was fun :D

And yes Yorkie, that accent can be understood quite well, just a little bit less than 'typical' English. Although it's impossible to catch all the words (I also couldn't catch that 'guide dog' on the other thread :wink:) , but if there is the context it's not a big tragedy (but I don't think I can understand British accents better than Americans do)
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Yorkie wrote:
LennesSL wrote:

It's a tough accent for Brits to understand so no idea how people for whom English is a second language do (to be fair Europeans seem to do better at British accents than Americans who really struggle with anything that isn't The Queen or Cockney :wink: ).

The first three BETM Billy's giving the first ever glimpse of what was in store for the public when the curtain lifted (or dropped I suppose) at the Victoria Palace Theatre a few months later:

I agree, as an Essex boy, its tough on me also.

Just finished watching Billy Elliot (The movie) Great film, but I much prefer the musical
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

The accents of Northern England are tough. When I watched "Billy Elliot" and "Millions" I had to turn on the captioning in order to follow the dailog.
mqeric

Post by mqeric »

I myself have seen the Australian production twice in Sydney, always been a fan of the original movie,so I was rather exited when they announced the show is coming to Sydney.All the people I talked to at the theatre thought it was a fantastic show. I have to agree with liberavieve here, all the young actor/dancer in the show had been great but each brought to the show a little bit of themselves which makes each viewing unique.

The first time I went I think it was just a month after the official opening, and if I remember correctly it was Nick Twiney's first week back from an injury, but he doesn't show a sign of being injuried. At the time I've already did some research on the Uk production so I kinda have some idea what to expect but the show still blew me away. Nick was 14 at the time so he was a bit older than the regular UK Billy. he's already done a few minor roles in movies, he is a phenomenal dancer and the emotion that he convey in his dance move was breathtaking. His accent was very good too, to the point that I couldn't understand him sometimes lol(English is my second language). All in all a great memory, only thing that I wish he could done better was his singing, he doesn't have a great singing voice.

So come a week before they move the show to Melbourne I went again, this time it was Joshua Waiss Gates as Billy, and it felt like a completely difference show althogether. Joshua as I found out later, was considered one of the best in terms of singing and it showed, the singing part of the show was so enjoyable this time. He's very into it in the letter from mum scene, so much so that he broke out of the North England accent and went back to Aussie, I didn't find it distracting though, because that scene was so powerful.

I just did a quick google search and came up with something to remind myself how nice his voice was:

1. Clip of Joshua W-G singing the Australian National Anthem

[youtube][/youtube]

2. his final performance - Electricity

[youtube][/youtube]
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Billy was 6 today and I have the badge to prove it :D Good shows but they had some technical problems with the bedroom set.

Interesting article on BETM:

http://www.theskykid.com/finearts/where ... come-from/

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Oh, forgot to mention that I bumped in to forum member who is a secret Billy fan :lol: We had an early dinner together before watching the evening show.

Mercy & Love
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

I must get to another Billy show real soon. Ive got the music on my ipod now :)
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

- Plato
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

paul30003 wrote:I must get to another Billy show real soon. Ive got the music on my ipod now :)
8 times a week Paul - I could see you there tomorrow :wink:

Mercy & Love
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Yorkie wrote:
paul30003 wrote:I must get to another Billy show real soon. Ive got the music on my ipod now :)
8 times a week Paul - I could see you there tomorrow :wink:
If I didn't have so much to do with libera-dreams, I would take you up on your offer :(

Also going for a curry after work. Maybe next time.

- Plato
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Hope that curry was good Paul because, and I don't say this lightly, tonight was one of the best shows I've seen. Young Ryan, the newest London Billy, gave a heroic performance. His Angry Dance and street version of Electricity were outstanding.

You've got to see this kid.
Last edited by Yorkie on Sat May 14, 2011 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mercy & Love
javerylibe

Post by javerylibe »

Yorkie wrote:Hope that curry was good Paul because, and I don't say this lightly, Tonight was one of the best shows I've seen. Young Ryan, the newest London Billy, gave a heroic performance. His Angry Dance and street version of Electricity were outstanding.

You've got to this kid.
Now I'm going to be left wondering, I suppose. I walked right past Billy today but decided that I'd really seen it enough. Eh, well.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

javerylibe wrote:
Yorkie wrote:Hope that curry was good Paul because, and I don't say this lightly, Tonight was one of the best shows I've seen. Young Ryan, the newest London Billy, gave a heroic performance. His Angry Dance and street version of Electricity were outstanding.

You've got to see this kid.
Now I'm going to be left wondering, I suppose. I walked right past Billy today but decided that I'd really seen it enough. Eh, well.

This was my first time seeing a 'street' Billy. Didn't think I would enjoy it as much as a 'ballet' Billy, but I really loved it. The kid can act and sing as well, the audience was lapping it up and the cast fed of the vibe.

More enjoyable than Evensong at the Abbey where it was ruined by four Italian women who believed it was OK to talk during the singing, the sermons and the prayers :x

Mercy & Love
javerylibe

Post by javerylibe »

Yorkie wrote:This was my first time seeing a 'street' Billy. Didn't think I would enjoy it as much as a 'ballet' Billy, but I really loved it. The kid can act and sing as well, the audience was lapping it up and the cast fed of the vibe.
I thought the same thing on seeing a 'street Billy.' Something had convinced me that the producers had started introducing them in an ill-advised bid to attract an audience that might not be drawn in by ballet. Or that the 'street Billys' were high on style but low on substance. Or something to that effect. Sometimes, it's nice to be proved wrong.

Yorkie wrote:More enjoyable than Evensong at the Abbey where it was ruined by four Italian women who believed it was OK to talk during the singing, the sermons and the prayers :x
O Lord, have mercy upon them, miserable offenders.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: Billy Elliot

Post by Yorkie »

Watched the film last night and the DVD has a few extra features. This is a little bit about finding the three original boys to play the role (note that two of the are also from God's own county):

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

I posted the full clip from The Royal Variety Performance earlier in the thread.

Mercy & Love