Billy Elliot

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Murkskis wrote:Excellent review Liberavieve!
Are you a professional critic in the real life ? :wink:

And thanks to Yorkie for finding these YT clips!
I think I'll try to get to another musical (Billy, Wicked ...) when I visit London the next time!

''Have you bought the BETM cast recording''- is there a link available? :wink:
Wicked is a show for girls Murkskis :lol:

Try here for the cast recording
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

Yorkie wrote:
Murkskis wrote:Excellent review Liberavieve!
Are you a professional critic in the real life ? :wink:

And thanks to Yorkie for finding these YT clips!
I think I'll try to get to another musical (Billy, Wicked ...) when I visit London the next time!

''Have you bought the BETM cast recording''- is there a link available? :wink:
Wicked is a show for girls Murkskis :lol:

Try here for the cast recording
:lol: :lol:
Thanks!

P.s. Amazon surprised me again, this album costs 4.93 pounds ! That's not bad at all! Added to must have and to be ordered very soon list :D

Just checked out the samples on Amazon- they have kept the original language ... 8) :lol:

''Who the hell are you?''
''It was a rhetorical quesstion and now piss off..''
''Are you joining in or what?''

"and I'm listening, listening ... and then I disappear..'' (if this last one actually means to 'get lost in the song or performance' then I get the point 8) )

So cool words ! :D
Last edited by Murkskis on Sat May 07, 2011 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Re: Billy Elliot

Post by fan_de_LoK »

paul30003 wrote:
Yorkie wrote:Have you bought the BETM cast recording yet Paul?
Not yet but its on my must have list ;)
I confirm the absolute necessity to have this cd ! :)

And you know this, as you've had a taste of this CD while we were driving on Canadian highways ;)

£5 on Amazon : " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
paul
Site Admin

Re: Billy Elliot

Post by paul »

fan_de_LoK wrote:
paul30003 wrote:
Yorkie wrote:Have you bought the BETM cast recording yet Paul?
Not yet but its on my must have list ;)
I confirm the absolute necessity to have this cd ! :)

And you know this, as you've had a taste of this CD while we were driving on Canadian highways ;)

£5 on Amazon : " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh yes!

How can I forget this... ;)
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
liberavieve

Post by liberavieve »

Murkskis wrote:Excellent review Liberavieve! Are you a professional critic in the real life?
Don't I wish? :lol: But thanks!
Yorkie wrote:Nice write up Liberavieve, enjoyed reading that. Maybe I'm the one out of whack but I don't tend to favour any of the Libera boys (although I will champion those I think get unfairly overlooked) and I wouldn't do the same with a Billy. I think if you have favourites you leave yourself open to disappointment when they leave or miss a show.
Thanks, Yorkie. You mention not having a favourite performer/chorister and the possibility, in having a favourite, of being set up for disappointment. I can't speak to the disappointment of growing attached to a particular favourite only to be sad when they leave or miss a show, but I think that whole setting-oneself-up-for-disappointment bit might have actually gone the other way for me when I saw Dean on as Billy.

Before the show, there was a bit of muttering amongst regulars in the queue about Dean's pushiness, over-aggression, and lack of vulnerability/sensitivity in the role, and if I remember, a few people expressed the hope that he wouldn't be on, as they generally just didn't enjoy his take quite as much as they would have liked. There's no accounting for taste, of course, but listening to that, I did brace myself to be disappointed. But at the show, of course, I was bowled over and very, very pleasantly surprised!

(It's worth noting that with Wicked, it did go as you've said; having heard countless raves about how the flight sequence had to be seen to be believed and how universally brilliant, super-fantastic, and outstanding(!!) the show as a whole was, I went in prepared to be stunned and was fairly disappointed. You can see the giant, chunky mechanism for the lift! :lol: )
Yorkie wrote:And on to Dean CC - the only member of BETM to have appeared in the very first show in London on 31st March 2005 and still appearing in the show today.
When you consider that Dean's probably only twelve or thirteen (fourteen?), that's really a feat. When it finally comes time for him to leave the show, the Company ought to send him and his parents on a well-deserved holiday. :D
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

liberavieve wrote:
Yorkie wrote:And on to Dean CC - the only member of BETM to have appeared in the very first show in London on 31st March 2005 and still appearing in the show today.
When you consider that Dean's probably only twelve or thirteen (fourteen?), that's really a feat. When it finally comes time for him to leave the show, the Company ought to send him and his parents on a well-deserved holiday. :D
13 y.o. - the London Billy's tend to be a bit younger than the ones who appear in North America. Not sure if that is deliberate (I would suppose that an older boy is a stronger dancer) but generally they don't seem to last in London if they grow too big or their voice breaks. Maybe it's the fear of hairy legs :lol:

At the risk of appearing to be an obsessive, there is an interesting documentary called 'Finding Billy' about the search for the boys to star in the first Broadway show:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Mercy & Love
LennesSL
Silver Member

Post by LennesSL »

Yorkie wrote: At the risk of appearing to be an obsessive, there is an interesting documentary called 'Finding Billy' about the search for the boys to star in the first Broadway show:
Not obsessive.. We have the same in the netherlands for kruimeltje. I've even been to the television show live. Soo than I'm an obsessive to ;). :lol: :lol: Lovely to see.. (still watching ;) )
Life is but a journey
Tides are always turning
Seasons come and go here but you’ll never be alone here
liberavieve

Post by liberavieve »

Yorkie wrote:13 y.o. - the London Billy's tend to be a bit younger than the ones who appear in North America. Not sure if that is deliberate (I would suppose that an older boy is a stronger dancer) but generally they don't seem to last in London if they grow too big or their voice breaks. Maybe it's the fear of hairy legs :lol:
Someone near me on the night that I saw Dean(?) actually made a comment about the hairy legs on the (significantly bigger) actor playing Michael. Something to the tune of, "I'll be sorry to see him go, but dear God, if those aren't the hairiest legs I've ever seen on a kid his age. It just doesn't look right."

It occurs to me that having a slightly older-looking Michael could lend a very different colour to the cross-dressing element of his character. But that's another matter.

In terms of the age of Billys in London versus in North America, I had assumed that British Billys were a bit younger than their American counterparts because they have their GCSEs to contend with. I might be making this up, but it seems that the North American actors stick around until they're often quite tall and well into their voice changes (such as the American actor that I saw), while the British boys often leave well before they've technically 'outgrown the role.'
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Yorkie!

Thanks for the Finding Billy documentry. Watching right now!
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

- Plato
LennesSL
Silver Member

Post by LennesSL »

paul30003 wrote:Yorkie!

Yeah It's wonderfull.. Just finished watching. Already fan of Trent. It's a pity I can't see him.. Now I'm even more sad, that I didn't go to Billy when I was in Londen. Well maybe it will be there in the Netherlands.. Count me in than ;)..
Life is but a journey
Tides are always turning
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

LennesSL wrote:
paul30003 wrote:Yorkie!

Yeah It's wonderfull.. Just finished watching. Already fan of Trent. It's a pity I can't see him.. Now I'm even more sad, that I didn't go to Billy when I was in Londen. Well maybe it will be there in the Netherlands.. Count me in than ;)..
Trent played Billy in London before transferring to the Broadway show - if you'd got to London in 2008 you could have killed two birds with one stone :(

Mercy & Love
LennesSL
Silver Member

Post by LennesSL »

Yorkie wrote: Trent played Billy in London before transferring to the Broadway show - if you'd got to London in 2008 you could have killed two birds with one stone :(
Noo thank god I didn't do that. I went to london last march. So Trent was already gone.. Otherwise I shot myself allready.. ;)
Life is but a journey
Tides are always turning
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Wow, very interesting reportage ! :D

Thank you Yorkie !!
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Just finished watching Finding Billy.
It was a really interesting look into the production of Billy, its just amazing how committed they have to be, and "Billy" can train for up to two and a half years to be ready for the show. That's a massive commitment but very rewarding in gaining multi talents leading to many career options for the future.

- Plato
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

Just watched them all !
Jumping in the air and whistling :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks to Yorkie once more! :D