Billy Elliot

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

Celtic

Re: Billy Elliot

Post by Celtic »

The Spanish production wasn't my favourite, but due to the cheap cost of flying to and staying in Spain, and the fact they had full weekly schedules for shows, I ended up seeing it a lot in both Madrid and Barcelona. There were some very talented Billys.

Not heard anything about any further revivals in the UK yet. It is currently on in Finland and the Czech Republic. I saw the Czech production for two shows and really enjoyed it.

But yeah, if you are going to see it for the first time, probably better to see it in its original language, ideally in the UK.
LordG

Re: Billy Elliot

Post by LordG »

I have now seen my 97th Billy show since the 9th birthday show in London. The 100th show is already booked in Oulu, Finland.

As Celtic has already mentioned, I wouldn't necessarily call the Leicester production a highlight, at least above average. The
Leicester's show has interpreted some elements differently and brought new elements to the show.
This has been the case in all the productions I have attended here in Europe over the last few years. There were productions where
the Billy couldn't dance at all, or the set was so sparse that the only thing on stage was a grand piano and a few chairs for the actors.

The fact that a Billy can't dance and that no effort was made to cover up this faux pas with the plot was a no-go in my eyes.

But then again, there are highlights where the show was better than the production in London. Sometimes you warm up to a production,
and sometimes you wonder if all the travel, hotel, tickets and time was worth it.
At least Tallinn compensated me with a beautiful old town. :lol:
All Albums (CD+Vinyl) in my possession :oops: :D