Eurovision Song Contest 2011

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

Colin
Silver Member

Eurovision Song Contest 2011

Post by Colin »

Just a question if someone is also going to watch the eurovision this year.
Maybe we could do a little forecast of the winner.

Personally I prefer 'Ding Dong' from Dana International (Israel) this year. It's a catchy tune and she already won the contest in 1998 with Diva if I remember it right.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Nope, not watching.

UK never wins because the rest of Europe hates us (or it could be that we always seem to enter terrible songs from third rate artisits) :D

When is it?
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
LennesSL
Silver Member

Post by LennesSL »

Yorkie wrote:Nope, not watching.

UK never wins because the rest of Europe hates us (or it could be that we always seem to enter terrible songs from third rate artisits) :D

When is it?
Same here, The netherlands has won a couple times.. But for the least like 5 years, there wasn't any good song there. We didn't even make it to the finals. So no watching here, although I think we have a better song than last 4 years.

[youtube][/youtube]

They made a english version of it. Prefer the dutch.. But hey, who am I ;)..
Life is but a journey
Tides are always turning
Seasons come and go here but you’ll never be alone here
Colin
Silver Member

Post by Colin »

Belgium also has a terrible song this year... but I don't care. I'm gonna watch it because I always like the atmosphere of that evening.

The semi-finals are thuesday and thursday and the grand finale is saturday evening.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

LennesSL wrote:
I agree, it's a pity that the people behind the Dutch entry decided to sacrifice singing in their own language in the hope of gaining more votes (can't think of another reason). I never got into the whole Eurovision thing but the one thing that I find charming about it is that countries get to promote themselves through music - musicians as cultural ambassadors of their country and heritage. So, it would be great if every country sang in their own language, even if not everyone will understand.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote:
LennesSL wrote:
I agree, it's a pity that the people behind the Dutch entry decided to sacrifice singing in their own language in the hope of gaining more votes (can't think of another reason). I never got into the whole Eurovision thing but the one thing that I find charming about it is that countries get to promote themselves through music - musicians as cultural ambassadors of their country and heritage. So, it would be great if every country sang in their own language, even if not everyone will understand.
Well, I wasn't going to say this but after listening to Electricity sung in Dutch I think they made a wise choice to sing in English :shock:

Mercy & Love
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Do the singers have to be amateurs, or can professionals enter?
Colin
Silver Member

Post by Colin »

In Belgium we have preselection. Every other year in the Dutch speaking part and the other year in the French-speaking part.

Everybody can enter the preselections. Amateurs and pro's.
LennesSL
Silver Member

Post by LennesSL »

Yorkie wrote: Well, I wasn't going to say this but after listening to Electricity sung in Dutch I think they made a wise choice to sing in English :shock:
LOL!!.. Why? ;).. (Very curious)..
Life is but a journey
Tides are always turning
Colin
Silver Member

Post by Colin »

Can somebody say what he thinks of 'Ding Dong' from Dana International? I really love it :)
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

LennesSL wrote:
Yorkie wrote: Well, I wasn't going to say this but after listening to Electricity sung in Dutch I think they made a wise choice to sing in English :shock:
LOL!!.. Why? ;).. (Very curious)..
And you promise not to be upset?

Well, it sound like half the time people were trying to clear the phlegm from their throat. Dutch, like German, is not the most poetic language for a foreigner to listen to :oops:

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Colin wrote:Can somebody say what he thinks of 'Ding Dong' from Dana International? I really love it :)
Horrific Euro trash Colin. He might have done better if he had stuck to a man's song.

Mercy & Love
LennesSL
Silver Member

Post by LennesSL »

Yorkie wrote: And you promise not to be upset?

Well, it sound like half the time people were trying to clear the phlegm from their throat. Dutch, like German, is not the most poetic language for a foreigner to listen to :oops:
I'm not upset.. Hihi..

I believe you when you say that Dutch is for a foreigner not easy or nice to listen to. Soo thats not upsetting..;) But WHAT is phlegm???

And Dutch is not a poetic language.. So thats also true.. ;) LOL
Life is but a journey
Tides are always turning
viabuona
Gold Member

Post by viabuona »

Yorkie wrote:..Dutch, like German, is not the most poetic language for a foreigner to listen to :oops:
Ohh Yorkie, my dear 'shake spire' :D
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

LennesSL wrote:
Yorkie wrote: And you promise not to be upset?

I'm not upset.. Hihi..

I believe you when you say that Dutch is for a foreigner not easy or nice to listen to. Soo thats not upsetting..;) But WHAT is phlegm???

And Dutch is not a poetic language.. So thats also true.. ;) LOL
Phlegm is all the unpleasant mucus that builds up when you have a nasty cold :shock:

Phlegm

Mercy & Love