Other Choirs, Singers, Musicians that you like

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

liberavieve

Post by liberavieve »

I'm going to be in the wedding of two of my friends this summer, and the ushers and bridesmaids are conspiring to sing just a few SATB pieces as a bit of a surprise for the bride and groom:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

It's not quite back-flipping down the aisle, but we're thinking it will go over well.
javerylibe

Post by javerylibe »

A rare bit of video from what's quite possibly my favourite cathedral choir at the moment (the Choir of Wells Cathedral) celebrating their place as Gramophone's world number one choir featuring children's voices. Shots of the cathedral, snippets of a few recordings, interviews with Matthew Owens (Organist & Master of Choristers) and some of the choristers, and a light-hearted rehearsal of Handel's Hallelujah Chorus.

[youtube][/youtube]
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

javerylibe wrote:A rare bit of video from what's quite possibly my favourite cathedral choir at the moment (the Choir of Wells Cathedral) celebrating their place as Gramophone's world number one choir featuring children's voices. Shots of the cathedral, snippets of a few recordings, interviews with Matthew Owens (Organist & Master of Choristers) and some of the choristers, and a light-hearted rehearsal of Handel's Hallelujah Chorus.
Nice clip but couldn't help but notice that the girls were shoved to the back :shock:
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
javerylibe

Post by javerylibe »

Yorkie wrote:
javerylibe wrote:A rare bit of video from what's quite possibly my favourite cathedral choir at the moment (the Choir of Wells Cathedral) celebrating their place as Gramophone's world number one choir featuring children's voices. Shots of the cathedral, snippets of a few recordings, interviews with Matthew Owens (Organist & Master of Choristers) and some of the choristers, and a light-hearted rehearsal of Handel's Hallelujah Chorus.
Nice clip but couldn't help but notice that the girls were shoved to the back :shock:
I can't be entirely surprised— but at least they're shown!
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

javerylibe wrote:
Yorkie wrote:
I can't be entirely surprised— but least they're shown!
:lol: and I'm not surprised at your lack of surprise :lol: I think it's probably because their weren't many lookers amongst them :wink:

Mercy & Love
javerylibe

Post by javerylibe »

Yorkie wrote::lol: and I'm not surprised at your lack of surprise :lol: I think it's probably because their weren't many lookers amongst them :wink:
D'aw, Yorkie, they're babies! :(
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

Post by Rebecca (: »

[youtube][/youtube]
What I'd do to be in a choir like this.... :shock:
They're amazing, and very talented. :)
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

[youtube][/youtube]
Fantastic performance of Ave Maria and All things Bright and Beautiful ! Enjoyed these 2 in particular ! :o Sounds like a veeeery good choir !
javerylibe

Post by javerylibe »

Rebecca (: wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]
What I'd do to be in a choir like this.... :shock:
They're amazing, and very talented. :)
Cheers, Rebecca. Having been so exposed now to the life that residential choristers lead, the training they receive, and the tremendous start to life that they get out of their roles as choristers, a not-so-small portion of me wishes that at seven, I'd told my parents that I wanted to sing instead of telling them that I wanted to be an astronaut veterinarian and keep lion cubs and real-life Pokemon in a blanket fort in a secret treehouse in the rain-forest.

God knows that didn't pan out. And now, alas, I am old.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

javerylibe wrote:
Yorkie wrote::lol: and I'm not surprised at your lack of surprise :lol: I think it's probably because their weren't many lookers amongst them :wink:
D'aw, Yorkie, they're babies! :(
Hahaha yes, sorry - I'm still sore from the other thread :twisted:

Mercy & Love
javerylibe

Post by javerylibe »

Murkskis wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]
Fantastic performance of Ave Maria and All things Bright and Beautiful ! Enjoyed these 2 in particular ! :o Sounds like a veeeery good choir !
The Ave Maria is gorgeous. Does anyone know who composed this setting?
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

javerylibe wrote:
Cheers, Rebecca. Having been so exposed now to the life that residential choristers lead, the training they receive, and the tremendous start to life that they get out of their roles as choristers, a not-so-small portion of me wishes that at seven, I'd told my parents that I wanted to sing instead of telling them that I wanted to be an astronaut veterinarian and keep lion cubs and real-life Pokemon in a blanket fort in a secret treehouse in the rain-forest.

I completely understand, except I'm quite the opposite, really. I've been begging my mom since I was 10 or so, for nearly 5 years now, to let me join a cathedral choir (if there are any here, that is) but she keeps saying no... I really wish she'd have let me, as I know I'd enjoy it, but not everyone can do everything. :)
javerylibe

Post by javerylibe »

Rebecca (: wrote:
javerylibe wrote:

I completely understand, except I'm quite the opposite, really. I've been begging my mom since I was 10 or so, for nearly 5 years now, to let me join a cathedral choir (if there are any here, that is) but she keeps saying no... I really wish she'd have let me, as I know I'd enjoy it, but not everyone can do everything. :)
Your time isn't up! All you'll need to do is convince your parents to relocate to Washington and enroll you at the girls' day school at the Washington Cathedral. Their girls' component accepts choristers from twelve through eighteen.

It isn't quite the same, of course, but if you've got the academics behind you and carry on with your vocal training— who knows? You could wind up at one of the mixed-voice Oxbridge undergraduate choirs, some of which are excellent.

Also— a list of RSCM-affiliated choirs in the States.

And— the St Thomas Church Girl Chorister Course, a short residential programme held every summer in New York.
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

javerylibe wrote:Your time isn't up! All you'll need to do is convince your parents to relocate to Washington and enroll you at the girls' day school at the Washington Cathedral. Their girls' component accepts choristers from twelve through eighteen.

It isn't quite the same, of course, but if you've got the academics behind you and carry on with your vocal training— who knows? You could wind up at one of the mixed-voice Oxbridge undergraduate choirs, some of which are excellent.

Also— a list of RSCM-affiliated choirs in the States.

And— the St Thomas Church Girl Chorister Course, a short residential programme held every summer in New York.
Funny - we were considering moving to Washington a few years ago :lol: That would've been awesome!

One of the RSCM-affiliated cathedrals is fairly close to us, and turns out my mom had been emailing a music director there already, so I guess she is considering letting me participate in their choir! :)

Oh my, the NY one sounds fun!! Too bad I'll be going there this week instead of next summer... haha.

Thanks so much for the links and everything! :D
chris17

Post by chris17 »

I was randomly looking for boys choir music on Amazon and I came across a Christmas album by the Adolf Fredrik's Boys Choir - and it's actually pretty good! I bought the mp3 album and I've been listening to it almost nonstop. There aren't any videos on YouTube that I can find, but you can listen to the samples on Amazon, if you don't mind listening to Christmas music in May. :wink: Samples on Amazon

I'm not familiar with all the songs, but they've got a nice version of In the Bleak Midwinter and some rather lively versions of Jingle Bells and Deck the Halls. I also really like Domaredansen, which I haven't heard before. It's a really interesting song.