The "I Love the UK" topic

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Rich wrote:
Yorkie wrote:
Rich wrote: Well, it was a Yeoman Warder at the Tower of London who gave me those definitions many, many years ago. :lol:
Sorry, didn't mean to infer you were a pedant! Just that your 'man on the Clapham omnibus' (to use an interesting term for an ordinary person in the UK) would say Britain meaning England, Scotland & Wales. At least everybody I know of would :D
No problem - I didn't take it that way. :D

"Man on the Clapham omnibus" - now that's one I've never heard before!

Rich
I know great isn't it! Picked it up in my youth when I dabbled in law as a subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_man_on" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... am_omnibus
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Yorkie wrote:
Rich wrote:
Yorkie wrote: Sorry, didn't mean to infer you were a pedant! Just that your 'man on the Clapham omnibus' (to use an interesting term for an ordinary person in the UK) would say Britain meaning England, Scotland & Wales. At least everybody I know of would :D
No problem - I didn't take it that way. :D

"Man on the Clapham omnibus" - now that's one I've never heard before!

Rich
I know great isn't it! Picked it up in my youth when I dabbled in law as a subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_man_on" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... am_omnibus
He's the boss where Joe Soap, Joe Blow, and John Q. Public work, eh? ;)
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

But is he related to John Doe I find myself asking?

Mercy & Love
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

From a book I just received by one David Hampshire (former RAF), Living and Working in Britain:
The typical Briton is introspective, patriotic, insular, xenophobic, brave, small-minded, polite, insecure, arrogant, a compulsive gambler, humorous, reserved, conservative, reticent, hypocritical, a racist, boring, a royalist, condescending, depressed, a keen gardener, semi-literate, hard-working, unambitious, ironic, passionless, cosmopolitan, a whinger, hard-headed, liberal, a traditionalist, a couch potato, obsequious, a masochist, complacent, homely, pragmatic, cynical, decent, melancholic, unhealthy, a poor cook, pompous, eccentric, inebriated, proud, self-deprecating, tolerant, inhibited, a shopaholic, conceited, courageous, idiosyncratic, mean (a bad tipper), courteous, jingoistic, stuffy, overweight, well-mannered, pessimistic, disciplined, a habitual queuer, stoic, modest, gloomy, shy, serious, apathetic, honest, wimpish, fair, snobbish, friendly, quaint, decadent, civilised, dogmatic, scruffy, prejudiced, class conscious and a soccer hooligan.

If the above list contains a few contradictions, it’s because there’s no such thing as a typical Briton and very few people conform to the standard British stereotype (whatever that is). Apart from the multifarious differences in character between the people from different parts of England (particularly between those from the north and south), the population of the UK encompasses a disparate mixture of Scots, Welsh, Irish and assorted ethnic groups originating from throughout the British Commonwealth, other EU countries (including hundreds of thousands from new member countries in recent years), plus miscellaneous foreigners from all corners of the globe who have chosen to make the UK their home (London is the most ethnically diverse city in the world).
Last edited by kjackson83 on Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Yorkie wrote:But is he related to John Doe I find myself asking?
He was...until John Doe entered the US FBI's 'Witness Protection Programme' and had his name changed to something less conspicuous :D ... I understand he now lives in Lanarkshire under the name, William O'Komarinski...
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

kjackson83 wrote:From a book I just received by one David Hampshire (former RAF), Living and Working in Britain:
The typical Briton is introspective, patriotic, insular, xenophobic, brave, small-minded, polite, insecure, arrogant, a compulsive gambler, humorous, reserved, conservative, reticent, hypocritical, a racist, boring, a royalist, condescending, depressed, a keen gardener, semi-literate, hard-working, unambitious, ironic, passionless, cosmopolitan, a whinger, hard-headed, liberal, a traditionalist, a couch potato, obsequious, a masochist, complacent, homely, pragmatic, cynical, decent, melancholic, unhealthy, a poor cook, pompous, eccentric, inebriated, proud, self-deprecating, tolerant, inhibited, a shopaholic, conceited, courageous, idiosyncratic, mean (a bad tipper), courteous, jingoistic, stuffy, overweight, well-mannered, pessimistic, disciplined, a habitual queuer, stoic, modest, gloomy, shy, serious, apathetic, honest, wimpish, fair, snobbish, friendly, quaint, decadent, civilised, dogmatic, scruffy, prejudiced, class conscious and a soccer hooligan.

If the above list contains a few contradictions, it’s because there’s no such thing as a typical Briton and very few people conform to the standard British stereotype (whatever that is). Apart from the multifarious differences in character between the people from different parts of England (particularly between those from the north and south), the population of the UK encompasses a disparate mixture of Scots, Welsh, Irish and assorted ethnic groups originating from throughout the British Commonwealth, other EU countries (including hundreds of thousands from new member countries in recent years), plus miscellaneous foreigners from all corners of the globe who have chosen to make the UK their home (London is the most ethnically diverse city in the world).
Well, put me down for all of those. Any reason you highlighted queuer?

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

kjackson83 wrote:
Yorkie wrote:But is he related to John Doe I find myself asking?
He was...until John Doe entered the US FBI's 'Witness Protection Programme' and had his name changed to something less conspicuous :D ... I understand he now lives in Lanarkshire under the name, William O'Komarinski...
Ah, I know him. I always thought that his ginger hair was a wig.

Mercy & Love
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Yorkie wrote:
kjackson83 wrote:From a book I just received by one David Hampshire (former RAF), Living and Working in Britain:

Well, put me down for all of those. Any reason you highlighted queuer?
Pompous? I don't think so... ;)

There is something strangely and quaintly magnificent about a country known for its ability to, of all things, stand in line patiently...before I ever became even remotely familiar with anything British, I had been infused with that impression--stereotypical as it may be.

See, here in America, we don't do lines...not at all. A waiting trail of more than, at most, two people for the till at the local supermarket is enough to elicit snappish, irate, even rude mannerisms and remarks from customers. The last time I waited in line at the post office, I was surrounded on all sides (literally) by people in the queue line doing almost nothing but complaining about how slow the line was, either to their companions or (shouted) into a mobile phone.

So there is something remarkably civilised about the fact that Britain (Britain--not "England" or "Scotland" or "Wales"...or Ireland, northern or otherwise) is, in the minds of many, many foreigners, associated with patient, 'mustn't grumble' people waiting for the train or whatnot.

Seriously: what better thing to be 'known for' than that? ;) Canadians are inoffensive, polite people; the British can stand in line without causing a scene--Kenneth Clark's Civilisation in a nutshell :D
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Yorkie wrote:Any reason you highlighted queuer?
From the Gospel:
I remember, when I was still new to the country, arriving at a railway station one day to find that just two of the dozen or so ticket windows were open. Both ticket windows were occupied. Now, in other countries one of two things would have happened. Either there would be a crush of customers at each window, all demanding simultaneous attention, or else there would be two slow-moving lines, each full of gloomy people convinced that the other line was moving faster.

Here in Britain, however, the waiting customers had spontaneously come up with a much more sensible and ingenious arrangement. They had formed a single line a few feet back from both windows. When either position became vacant, the customer at the head of the line would step up to it and the rest of the line would shuffle forward a space. It was a wonderfully fair and democratic approach, and the remarkable thing was that no one had commanded or even suggested it--it just happened.

--Bill Bryson: Notes from a Small Island
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

kjackson83 wrote:
From the Gospel:
I remember, when I was still new to the country, arriving at a railway station one day to find that just two of the dozen or so ticket windows were open. Both ticket windows were occupied. Now, in other countries one of two things would have happened. Either there would be a crush of customers at each window, all demanding simultaneous attention, or else there would be two slow-moving lines, each full of gloomy people convinced that the other line was moving faster.

Here in Britain, however, the waiting customers had spontaneously come up with a much more sensible and ingenious arrangement. They had formed a single line a few feet back from both windows. When either position became vacant, the customer at the head of the line would step up to it and the rest of the line would shuffle forward a space. It was a wonderfully fair and democratic approach, and the remarkable thing was that no one had commanded or even suggested it--it just happened.

Ahh, those were the days. I'm sorry to report that although not yet dead, the civilised art of queuing is on the wane :cry:

I have heard terrible stories of happenings at London bus stops and hope that such a thing doesn't travel too far north where we still know the unwritten rules. Watch out for old people though! They seem to think that old age entitles them to be at the front :P

Mercy & Love
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

[quote="Yorkie Watch out for old people though! They seem to think that old age entitles them to be at the front :P[/quote]

That isn't in just the UK either. Seniors here in the US think that they are owed everything.The demand their discount and act as if the world is their personal doormat. I hope I never act that way when I become a senior.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Yorkie wrote:
kjackson83 wrote:
From the Gospel:

Ahh, those were the days. I'm sorry to report that although not yet dead, the civilised art of queuing is on the wane :cry:

I have heard terrible stories of happenings at London bus stops and hope that such a thing doesn't travel too far north where we still know the unwritten rules. Watch out for old people though! They seem to think that old age entitles them to be at the front :P
What? Is it going to take a group of bloody foreigners (colonials, even) to remind the British of what "British" means?! :evil: :evil: :x :x :x :!: :!: :!:
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

TEB wrote:That isn't in just the UK either. Seniors here in the US think that they are owed everything.The demand their discount and act as if the world is their personal doormat. I hope I never act that way when I become a senior.
I'm going to tick someone/everyone off now...

The only people I've ever had take that attitude with me...were veterans.
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Unrelated:

Looks like it's endgamefor the PM and Co. over there...
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

kjackson83 wrote:I'm going to tick someone/everyone off now...
Not me! Most people will thank you for holding a door for them. Of the ones that don't, pensioners make up a larger portion.

Mercy & Love