New favorites

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

BrightEyes
Silver Member

Post by BrightEyes »

Murkskis wrote:just rediscovered 'Stabat' as it's talked about a bit lately :wink:

Cool ears BrightEyes :lol:
All the better to hear Libera with, Murkskis :)

Yes well I have an avatar now, which some of you may know is from the cover of "Watership Down", my favorite book of all time!!

So the song "Bright Eyes" on Angel Voices 2 is adapted from a song that Art Garfunkel sung in the animated film "Watership Down" that came out in 1978.

St. Philips Boys Choir version was immensely better than Art Garfunkel's.

So for those of you who have not read Watership Down, stop what you are doing... right now, and go read it! And then go listen to Libera while you write me a book report!
Last edited by BrightEyes on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"How can the light that burned so brightly, Suddenly burn so pale?"
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

BrightEyes wrote:
Murkskis wrote:just rediscovered 'Stabat' as it's talked about a bit lately :wink:

Cool ears BrightEyes :lol:
All the better to hear Libera with, Murkskis :)

Yes well I have an avatar now, which some of you may know is from the cover of "Watership Down", my favorite book of all time!!

So the song "Bright Eyes" on Angel Voices 2 is adapted from a song that Art Garfunkel sung in the animated film "Watership Down" that came out in 1978.

St. Philips Boys Choir version was immensely better than Art Garfunkle's.

So for those of you who have not read Watership Down, stop what you are doing... right now, and go read it! And then go listen to Libera while you write me a book report!
Oh, that's the source ! Now I know :D
I remember the rabbits were also mentioned on 'The Wind in the Willows' (Kenneth Grahame)- the first book I read when I was 7 :lol:

Sorry, it's a bit off-topic:
I have to admit that I spend far more time listening to music than reading these days. :oops: BTW, one of the last books I read was 'The Glass Bead Game' (by Hermann Hesse; German writer and poet). Like the short description of his works by Wikipedia "explores an individual's search for authenticity, self-knowledge and spirituality". IMO It gives some insight about life in monasteries and talks about searches, searches and searches again. Ah, a lot of philosophy. But i like it.
Music is also discussed there at some point but unfortunately not a single word about Libera. (probably because it was written before Libera was born :wink: )
katyafan
Silver Member

Post by katyafan »

Murkskis wrote: Music is also discussed there at some point but unfortunately not a single word about Libera. (probably because it was written before Libera was born :wink: )
no excuse!!!!! :D
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

BrightEyes wrote:

St. Philips Boys Choir version was immensely better than Art Garfunkle's.

When I was about 9 years old we actually watched the film in class, which made a huge impact on me, some parts of it were so heavy I am still surprised they showed it to us. So for me, Watership Down is a visual experience not a literary one :wink:
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
BrightEyes
Silver Member

Post by BrightEyes »

maartendas wrote: When I was about 9 years old we actually watched the film in class, which made a huge impact on me, some parts of it were so heavy I am still surprised they showed it to us. So for me, Watership Down is a visual experience not a literary one :wink:
The film was... okay I guess, but the book by Richard Adams was so much better than the movie. I read it when I was a teenager and no book I've ever read before or since has been as enjoyable. It really is a great adventure story with wonderful characters. :)

But anyway, I'm glad that "Bright Eyes" is such a wonderful song. Even if you don't care about Watership Down or the movie, it is one of my favorite tracks from the Angel Voices 2 album. They did an earlier version on New Day (1990), but IMHO, the newer track on AV2 (1996) is better. Here are both versions...

[youtube][/youtube]
liberavieve

Re: New favorites

Post by liberavieve »

plumpuff6 wrote:Be Still My Soul: This song was not one that I listened to frequently, in spite of its beautiful lyrics, but recently I was struck by the song. I really like the part where the lower voices sing on the second verse because they sound so solid and strong, and the high descant in the background is a great contrast.
Agreed. I'd actually only heard a (very nice) St Philip's version of the song (in a video on Youtube, from way back when the trebles were still be-ruffed and surpliced) until recently, but I listened to the version from Free today, and it's just gorgeous. I often find myself wishing that Libera would feature some of the lower voices more, as part of me feels that they sound a bit more 'authentic', and they do that to stunning effect in this version.
Nikki178
Silver Member

Post by Nikki178 »

"We Are the Lost" is the one song I usually skipped in favor of my favorite Libera songs. Until that one day I was at the office and listening to my iPod and concentrating on work that when "We Are the Lost" played I wasn't able to press the next button... and I totally fell in love with the melody and the lyrics! ;) though it made me sad when I realized it was about war and death and that somewhere and right at that moment someone may be dying in battle. :(
BrightEyes
Silver Member

Post by BrightEyes »

Nikki178 wrote:"We Are the Lost" is the one song I usually skipped in favor of my favorite Libera songs. Until that one day I was at the office and listening to my iPod and concentrating on work that when "We Are the Lost" played I wasn't able to press the next button... and I totally fell in love with the melody and the lyrics! ;) though it made me sad when I realized it was about war and death and that somewhere and right at that moment someone may be dying in battle. :(
Glad to hear you got converted, Nikki :) It was about my favorite track from "Visions" from the beginning. Haunting lyrics and a wonderful melody. Tragically beautiful remembrance of the thousands that died on the bloody battlefields of WW I.

I saw a National Geographic special recently about the Battle of the Somme, and I couldn't help thinking about this song.
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

BrightEyes wrote:
maartendas wrote: When I was about 9 years old we actually watched the film in class, which made a huge impact on me, some parts of it were so heavy I am still surprised they showed it to us. So for me, Watership Down is a visual experience not a literary one :wink:
The film was... okay I guess, but the book by Richard Adams was so much better than the movie. I read it when I was a teenager and no book I've ever read before or since has been as enjoyable. It really is a great adventure story with wonderful characters. :)

But anyway, I'm glad that "Bright Eyes" is such a wonderful song. Even if you don't care about Watership Down or the movie, it is one of my favorite tracks from the Angel Voices 2 album. They did an earlier version on New Day (1990), but IMHO, the newer track on AV2 (1996) is better. Here are both versions...

[youtube][/youtube]
I love the New day version, but the Angel voices version comes a very close second, as I am a big fan of the St Philip's Angel voices series.

We are the lost is a wonderfull piece that carries so much meaning.
Love it also.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
symphonica7
Gold Member

Post by symphonica7 »

Just heard this for the first time...............I like it....not quite sure if it's on the same playing field when compared harmonically to "Love and Mercy" but I think its playing the same game at least......(wink at BrightEyes)
BrightEyes
Silver Member

Post by BrightEyes »

symphonica7 wrote:Just heard this for the first time...............I like it....not quite sure if it's on the same playing field when compared harmonically to "Love and Mercy" but I think its playing the same game at least......(wink at BrightEyes)
Hey Symphonica :)

Glad to hear you expanded your musical horizons and experienced one of the golden oldies! This is just one of many songs on the old albums that I hope you will like.