Are you ready to go to the Ireland? (July 2009)

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

carina_gino20 wrote:Now you can say, You Were There... :lol:

I really hope they record Ed's Mysterium on a CD. I've only heard it once in a fan recording and it blew me away. I can only imagine how much more awesome it would be with a proper recording.
....In everything I do 8)

Ed's Mysterium. The singing was brilliant, no doubt about it. But it was the whole affect; the dark Cathedral, the cold blue lighting, the slow deliberate raising of hoods in blocks of four or five from left to right, the intricate movement as they placed themselves around the stage and then gently parting to let Ed swoop down with his beautiful, crystal clear notes......

Sorry, I'm gushing like a sentimental old aunt, but the sound was only part of it - it was truly an audio/visual spectacle. I really hope they do perform this again when they tour Philippines coz it will blow everybody away. It REALLY was that good.

Anybody else who was there want to comment on Mysterium?
Last edited by Yorkie on Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
kthomp
Silver Member

Post by kthomp »

well i wasnt at Dublin or Edinburgh but i was at Arundel when Ed sung Mysterium and like you yorkie it blew me away... i always kinda doubted the song being any better than when Adam Harris sung it but Ed's version is now my favourite and wish it was on CD. my mum isnt a Libera fan but came with me to Arundel and she said along with Prayer, Mysterium was her favourite :) (thats saying something she was a right old grouch on the way there and for her to compliment must me its something special)
When you miss me just look up to the night sky and remember, I'm like a star; sometimes you can't see me, but I'm always there.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Just haD to delete my last post as my iphone does not do well with me quoting posts...

Just to say i agree with yorkie, Ed totally blew
me away at arundel and it was one of the songs that gave me
goose bumps. He has got so much better and should get more solo's.

Also i didnt know some people didnt like sakure as i love it and hope it makes the next album as its a great little tune , really sets the mood i find.
kthomp
Silver Member

Post by kthomp »

i liked sakura to, i think it was a great introduction into the second half of the concert in Arundel :)
When you miss me just look up to the night sky and remember, I'm like a star; sometimes you can't see me, but I'm always there.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

I was in Arundel in may, it was my first Libera concert, and I was so amazed by this song and the spectacle on the stage :shock: !

I can assure anyone that the yesterday Mysterium in Edinburgh was at least as great that in Arundel, even more intense if it's possible. Ed's voice was so clear, powerful, emotional.... the lights effects so perfect... incredible !

Mysterium was not played in Dublin (to let place to the boring orchestra, grrrr) and in Belfast it was really good, but not as good as yesterday .
What a chance to have been here !! :D
worshipper28
Silver Member

Post by worshipper28 »

I wish they make a new DVD so everybody could see"Mysterium"
Thank you Fan_de_Lok for the nice report
tcenrt
Silver Member

Post by tcenrt »

Thanks Andy and Patrick for providing the wonderful reports. Even though Josh and Liam may be at the stage that they may not be a treble for too much longer, the young one is improving fast and Ed is at his peak. Now the boys can have a little rest and all you 'die hard' fans can take a breathe before the next concert.

Ann
'Let me go where'er I will,
I hear a sky-born music still:
It sounds from all things old,
It sounds from all things young,
From all that's fair, from all that's foul,
Peals out a cheerful song.'
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

dani wrote:Also i didnt know some people didnt like sakure as i love it and hope it makes the next album as its a great little tune , really sets the mood i find.
It's a little different from their usual repertoire, probably a bit like the Lamb. But I like it. :D
"I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!" - Melvin Udall

Steffi_89

Post by Steffi_89 »

Hey Yorkie,

thank you very much for this informations. I'm a big fan of libera and I hope I can go to a concert in the future.
I have a question: Who did sing the solo in Sancte?

steffi
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Steffi_89 wrote:Hey Yorkie,

thank you very much for this informations. I'm a big fan of libera and I hope I can go to a concert in the future.
I have a question: Who did sing the solo in Sancte?

steffi

Would of been Liam!!!!!
Urs

Post by Urs »

Thanks to all reports - also in the french forum!

It's in fact a little bit a pitty that in Dublin some very impressing songs have been missed.
But to be honest: The supporting sound of the live orchestra is also very impressiv.
carpe diem
JayEm

Post by JayEm »

Hi Andy/Yorkie (et al) - Delighted you made the decision to go to Edinburgh, despite your misgivings and you really enjoyed the experience. There is no doubt in my mind that seeing Libera perform live gives you a different/new/better appreciation of their songs. I was lucky enough to attend both concerts in Dublin and Edinburgh and found great differences between the two. I thought the sound in Dublin was far better than last night, I also felt that Fiona's violin overpowered certain sections of certain songs which I found irritating but more on the differneces later. I also thought that there was more like 350-400 in the church rather than 500. I would like to go through some of the songs if you will allow me to indulge?

Far Away - Solo by Ben. He has really grown into that song and I thought last nights rendition was far more assured than in Dublin.

Stay with me - The 'solo' was performed by a trio of Daniel, Ben and Ed with Stephan Leadbetter doing the highnotes. This was unexpected for me as Daniel had done the 'solo' solo :) in Dublin but it worked wonderfully as a trio and I thought it was one of the best versions I have heard.

Secret - I had not expected Ben to do the solo on this but I was very pleasantly surprised. I am not a big fan of this song but I enjoyed last nights performance of it.

When a knight - was simply perfect ! and Ed did an amazing job. He really is, at present, the best singer in Libera. I always liked this song and it was one of the high lights for me.

Prayer - Has always been one of my favourites too and I was a little concerned that it was being performed by 2 of the younger members. I had no reason for concern thankfully :) the 2 young guy's added a different dimension to the start then were back up very well be more senior members. I enjoyed the different approach.

Mysterium - As has already been pointed out was simply breathtaking, magnificient, moody, theathrical, dark and very well staged. but WOW ... what a performance by Ed !!! incredible, no other words do it justice. This songs is something that has to be experienced live, listening to it any otherway does no do it justice. THE highlight of the night. Why oh why does Ed not get more solo's ??

Sacris Solemnis - Wasn't a patch on the Dublin performance. I was disapponited with this which is a real shame as I really like that song but credit to the boy's they gave there best.

How can I keep from singing - I was really looking forward to this, I have never seen/heard it performed live and to begin with I was a little disappointed that Josh didn't open it up with a solo. Instead it was sung as a group but I got over the disappointment quickly as the boy;s delivered a wonderful rendition and for me it also one of the high lights of the night.

I enjoyed the whole night and the time really flew, it seemed like it was all over in minutes. I would also concur with other comments on Josh and Liam's voices. IMHO this was the last time they will be seen live in the front line. The end of an era. but as one door closes another one opens and with it the opportunity for some of the other members to stake a claim. One immediatly springs to mind; Stephan Leadbetter. Wow he has a super voice and he will replace Liam on Libera (in my opinion) and will join Ed and Ben as a lead soloist for the Autumn tour. Also, with regards to the autumn tour; don't expect to see Tom Cully there and I think we have seen his last performance live in a white robe. He deserved a stand ovation on his own for all he has given to us over the past 5 years and he has my unerring respect and admiration.

Gemma
Last edited by JayEm on Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JayEm

Post by JayEm »

uhh, forgot to mention; I thought the audience in Dublin was warmer and more appreciative than the crowd in Edinburgh again just my opinion !!

I too had a long journey home, I decided not to stay overnight but took the Edinburgh sleeper back to London; 7 hours during the night !! yikes... not sure why they call it the sleeper though.... sleeping is pratically impossible :lol:
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

What makes you say Tom is leaving Libera ?> Was something said ?
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

JayEm wrote:One immediatly springs to mind; Stephan Leadbetter. Wow he has a super voice and he will replace Liam on Libera (in my opinion) and will join Ed and Ben as a lead soloist for the Autumn tour.
I agree with you as I had exactly the same opinion as you, listening Liam on Libera during the Encore, and having listen Stephan doing the high notes on so numerous songs.

Stephan seems to fit perfectly, but we have to wait.
Because doing incredibles and perfects and lovebales "aha" is a thing, conduct a full solo is another thing...

I'm sure the firsts 2010 concerts will give us a lot of changes, many departs, new soloists, some alternative songs.... RP and the boys will surely work hard this winter and spring ! :wink: