The "I Love the UK" topic

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

kjackson83 wrote:Unrelated:

Looks like it's endgamefor the PM and Co. over there...
They were dead in the water when Blair did a runner, Brown has been like a rabbit caught in the headlights. Unfortunately, the next election could be as far away as May '10.

Not sure what good it would do though because as far as I can tell all the politicians over here are either stupid, liars or thieves and usually all three :(
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

^not much better in the U.S. unfortunately.

Can you believe it, not only are they going to get rid of the state scholarship fund (my college life-line) but they are also raising tuition fees :evil:

DON'T STUDY IN FLORIDA!!!

Oh... and for those in regular Elementary, Middle, or High Schools... our state mandated exam is set for Good Friday next year.
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kthomp
Silver Member

Post by kthomp »

i get lost with he government kinda makes me not wantto vote when i turn 18, my dad keeps me in the loot when he understands what is going on.

and on the subject of veterans

my dad got a badge through the post about 3 weeks ago saying veteran he nows uses that as an excuss for everything such as he gets first shower as he is a veteran :(

haha my dad is a veteran at 46 <<< he thinks thats a good thing
When you miss me just look up to the night sky and remember, I'm like a star; sometimes you can't see me, but I'm always there.
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

Yorkie wrote: Not sure what good it would do though because as far as I can tell all the politicians over here are either stupid, liars or thieves and usually all three :(
Not any better here either. Do some research on Washington, DC politics and you will end up disgusted. And this includes the current administration as well as past ones.

Arthur C. Clarke, my favorite science fiction writer once said that anyone who willingly desires the highest office of any country is insane and should never be allowed to hold that office. I am inclined to agree with him.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

TEB wrote:
Yorkie wrote: Not sure what good it would do though because as far as I can tell all the politicians over here are either stupid, liars or thieves and usually all three :(
Not any better here either. Do some research on Washington, DC politics and you will end up disgusted. And this includes the current administration as well as past ones.

Arthur C. Clarke, my favorite science fiction writer once said that anyone who willingly desires the highest office of any country is insane and should never be allowed to hold that office. I am inclined to agree with him.
US government is a bit like Yes, Minister--more than a bit, actually, sans the refinement (or humour), with triple and quadruple the corruption, inefficiency, and rhetoric--oh, as a historian/political science scholar, I am utterly baffled at why anyone--except perhaps poor unfortunates caught in the latest bloodbath in the Sudan--would find the 'American system' of governance admirable... :?:
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Remember to vote in your local council and EU elections!
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

kjackson83 wrote:Remember to vote in your local council and EU elections!
Just EU for me but I'm not sure I'll bother. I hate the EU - worse than our own lot and only exist to give the French an easy ride.

Mercy & Love
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Yorkie wrote:
Just EU for me but I'm not sure I'll bother. I hate the EU - worse than our own lot and only exist to give the French an easy ride.
BNP now have an MEP off 10% of the vote in Yorkshire & the Humber.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

kjackson83 wrote:
Yorkie wrote:
I know - that is the problem with the EU electoral system - a number of seats are given over to proportional representation. When the main stream parties crumble it provides an opportunity to these extreme organisations.

I did eventually vote and I went for UKIP (not that I have any great feeling for them but there wasn't much else that I fancied.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ence_Party

Mercy & Love
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Yorkie wrote:
kjackson83 wrote:
Yorkie wrote:
I know - that is the problem with the EU electoral system - a number of seats are given over to proportional representation. When the main stream parties crumble it provides an opportunity to these extreme organisations.

I did eventually vote and I went for UKIP (not that I have any great feeling for them but there wasn't much else that I fancied.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ence_Party
Plastered UKIP stuff all over my Facebook pages...it's a one-issue party, really: they'd never make a stable national government. But I think getting the UK out of the EU as quickly as possible is a sensible platform--especially after the catastrophe the Labour and Conservative parties have become lately...
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Yep, I agree totally they - are a one trick pony. The leader is quite a good speaker though and they have upset a few of our worthy EU politicians by outing their corruption!

Not UK related but I just read about a shooting in the Holocaust museum in Washington D.C. Very sad. I remember being very moved by the museum when I visited there many years ago.

Mercy & Love
kthomp
Silver Member

Post by kthomp »

im still lost in the whole government stuff... and i turn 18 this year :S

oh well atleast its not law to vote... i just wont complain when the tax gets to high
When you miss me just look up to the night sky and remember, I'm like a star; sometimes you can't see me, but I'm always there.
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

kthomp wrote:im still lost in the whole government stuff... and i turn 18 this year :S

oh well atleast its not law to vote... i just wont complain when the tax gets to high
:D you don't have to take a political science course over there? BTW I got an undergrad prospectus from U. Surrey (they were supposed to send me a postgrad prospectus grr :s )--interesting, the complicated process of getting into college over there...pretty complicated over here, too, I guess.

Oh, I think your politics are fascinating, especially because they're so much more involved than ours--ours are a colossal *yawn, and don't be fooled: there is very little 'democratic' (with the small 'd') about the US system of government.

British politics are rough-and-tumble! American politics are two pompous people--usually men--reading speeches at each other in a language few comprehend and even fewer care about :D 8)
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

kjackson83 wrote: American politics are two pompous people--usually men--reading speeches at each other in a language few comprehend and even fewer care about :D 8)

8) :D :lol: :wink:

And don't forget, neither of the 2 pompous people know anything about the job they are running for.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

TEB wrote:
kjackson83 wrote: American politics are two pompous people--usually men--reading speeches at each other in a language few comprehend and even fewer care about :D 8)

8) :D :lol: :wink:

And don't forget, neither of the 2 pompous people know anything about the job they are running for.
'course not...being qualified automatically disqualifies one for the job!