Live at Arundel - The concert in May 2009

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Song you'd like most to hear at Arundel?

Locus iste
5%
Adoramus
No votes
Love and Mercy
No votes
Always With You
14%
Libera
No votes
Salva Me
No votes
You Were There
19%
How Can I Keep From Singing?
33%
...something else (indicate in reply)
29%

Total votes: 21

kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

dani wrote:I am on the train home and doing this on my iphone so grammer amd spelling wil be rubbish.

Great concert , so amazing i am so glad i made the jouney . Tom Cully was there but didnt get any solos and by all accounts his voice has broken so we was right about that .

We got the exact same concert as LA and japan with an encore of how can i keep from singing , which was a wonderful finish. Liam on Sancte blew me away as it was just like the cd and he did it perfectly and probabley my fav song of the night. Flynn was great on may the road rise up and Alax and kavana pulled off always with you , Alex had a really good voice . Mini ben was ok on far away but did not blow me away , all tho he had two talking bits and he was soooo funny
Thanks for sharing so quickly--and at such effort.

That's both happy and sad about Tom--happy because he's got a world of new things ahead and the group will soon renew itself and spotlight some new talent (and hopefully he won't disappear, either)...but sad too, since most of us have listened to him grow up in Libera...good to know something more or less definitive, though.

How Can I Keep From Singing? A special treat for the home crowd, huh? ;) Was it any longer/different from the Eternal version?

Sounds like it was awesome--thanks for sharing so quickly :!:
libera36

Post by libera36 »

How was Daniel on "Stay With Me"?? And did Tom sing in the backrow, or did he just not get any solos... Was Michael Horncastle there?
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

libera36 wrote:How was Daniel on "Stay With Me"?? And did Tom sing in the backrow, or did he just not get any solos... Was Michael Horncastle there?

Stay with me is my fav song from the Holland dvd so i love that version so i am biased , Daniel did his best but personally didnt think he was that good, when you at how well flyan did or freddie them daniel waa not that great but he is young so will grow into his role. No michael there and too be fair there didnt seem to be much of a backrow just he didnt get any solos. There overall didnt seem to be many low parts .

I am afraid i dont know how can i keep singing song is different as not downloaded it off Itunes. But after hearing it tonight i will be buying it tomorrow.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

dani wrote:Liam on Sancte blew me away as it was just like the cd and he did it perfectly and probabley my fav song of the night.
Wow thanks dani - good to know Liam's voice is just has good live as what we hear on the CD. Shame about there being no meet and greet - it's not a divine right, but I expect a lot of fans went with items for them too sign. Oh well, maybe next time. I had a feeling Tom's voice had changed, but it shows how committed he his, now he's singing with the lower voices and I expect many people were just happy he was there after the rumour mill cranked into overdrive with his absence during the Japan/US tour. Yes, Ed should get more solo's, but they took 'When a Knight won his spurs' and 'Ave Maria' off the list, to make way for the new songs, so that's probably why his solo work decreased. Great to hear the new boys progressing well too.

What was the turnout like?
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Concert was a sell out i think , which would of been nice for the boys . Peopel started to que at about 4pm to get in as if you wanted to be at the front then you had to wait it out . Fans are really friendly tho so time passed quickly , also a fan had made a crossword puzZle so that also passes the time. Also some fans that jad been to japan had them
Progammea they got out there so it was nice to look though them. lol at expected we got th A4 pieces of paper
Lady Lolly

Post by Lady Lolly »

Deleted my post lol.. i missed a post that answered my question lol
jennaluvspbr
Gold Member

Post by jennaluvspbr »

dani wrote:Concert was a sell out i think , which would of been nice for the boys . Peopel started to que at about 4pm to get in as if you wanted to be at the front then you had to wait it out . Fans are really friendly tho so time passed quickly , also a fan had made a crossword puzZle so that also passes the time. Also some fans that jad been to japan had them
Progammea they got out there so it was nice to look though them. lol at expected we got th A4 pieces of paper
did you get any picuters of the boys i am glad that tom was there and i amhappy the show was good i am sorry that you did not meet them in person for meeet and gret i hope they do that some day with more consrt to come for them as will what was it like being there snes it was good fro you ????? from jenna
RiseInGlory

Post by RiseInGlory »

Some photos have been posted on the French forum by Fan_de_LoK

http://libera-dream.exprimetoi.net/disc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 9-t289.htm
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

RiseInGlory wrote:Some photos have been posted on the French forum by Fan_de_LoK

http://libera-dream.exprimetoi.net/disc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 9-t289.htm
:D they look like a pack of trick-or-treaters on Hallowe'en dressed up as little ghosts...

TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

Sorry to hear there was no Meet & Greet but do understand the need to be home for worship Sunday.
One of my friends flew over from Pennsylvania just for the concert. He has seen the boys many times and already has several sets of autographs. He was going to get a program signed for me as, unless they come back to PA, I will probably never get to see them. :cry: :( Oh well. :( I do have copies of some scanned programs but they just don't quite cut it. They are only copies and not originals.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

Thanks for the quick report, Dani.

My question....how many boys were there performing?
Was it the same 23 who were in Japan and California plus Tom Cully or was there a different altogether?
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Thanks for sharing, Dani! So great you got to be there!
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

tom413 wrote:Thanks for the quick report, Dani.

My question....how many boys were there performing?
Was it the same 23 who were in Japan and California plus Tom Cully or was there a different altogether?
There was 23 boys i think as Tom was there but Zac Lockett was missing. I took a few photoa on my iphone as i had forgotten my camera.
kthomp
Silver Member

Post by kthomp »

Libera at Arundel
Play list

Adoramus
Gloria
Far away -Ben Philip
Love and mercy – Josh Madine
Sancte – Liam Connory
Secret – Josh Madine
Salva me – Stefan leadbeater
Sanctus
Always with you – Alex Leggett and Kavana Crossley
I am the day – Josh Madine and Sam Leggett

Sakura
May the road rise up – Flynn Marks
Hymn to beauty
Prayer – James Mordaunt and Freddie Ingles
You were there – Josh Madine
Orinoco Flow – Josh Madine and Ed Day
Mysterium – Ed Day
Sacris Solemnis – Daniel Fontannaz (high)
Stay with me – Daniel Fontannaz
Going home – Ben P, Josh M and Ed
Libera – Liam Connery

When we got to the cathedral the queue was enormous it started at the front door and curled all the way round to the back door, it was rather nice to see some of the younger generation their too J, when me and my mother finally got to the front door which took about 10 minutes after opening the cathedral was all ready packed full (Arundel holds 400) and me an my mother had to sit on the back row but I was lucky enough to have a line of small people in front of me so I could see the stage and the boys clearly.

It was so packed in the cathedral so they had to put seats down the isle to accommodate the masses. The concert didn’t start till around about 7:50pm so my mother and me were admiring the lights and interior of the cathedral.

Then the lights went down and the boys came on and started our wonderful evening with Adoramus which lead into Gloria perfectly the boys did really well on these songs and Gloria was in my opinion better than the CD version. Josh then started of the concert by greeting as all and telling us a little about themselves (< same as on the DVD) he then handed over the centre stage for Ben to have his solo on far away. Ben did an ok job at Far Away but seemed to struggle abit and actually started to pre sing the second versus but managed to get back on track, I wouldn’t say that this was the best performance I have heard from Ben. The lights went down and Josh casually walked to the centre to sing the whole of love and mercy, I don’t no how to describe this but to me throughout the whole concert Josh’s voice seemed to have that little magical thing about it like he was struggling but yet looked so at ease. Then we had a nice little speech from Ben who was talking about having to practise the movements on stage so that the boys did not bump into each other he said that sometimes they have to hide on stage which lead onto Salva me with Stefan being out of sight, I must say this song was one of the highlights of the night Stefan’s voice rang out clear and pure and rather resembled Joe Snelling’s version. The lights dimmed once more and the boys moved into their places and the piercing high notes of Sanctus rang through the cathedral and from what I could see it was Kavana doing the high notes it is truly amazing how someone so young can be soooooo goodJ. Another boy took centre stage and gave a little speech but at this moment in time I have forgot who and what was said but they introduced Alex to start singing always with you, now to me this will always be Toms song but I must admit Alex did a great job on this with the help of Kavana on the high note, Alex’s voice isn’t as high as some of the other lads and he seemed to have less control but over all he does sound similar to a young Tom Cully. I am the day was the last song of the first half of the show and as usual Josh and Sam did a wonderful version of the song, I especially liked the lighting affects on I am the day at the end when the high note is hit the lights went towards the back of the audience like the boys where pushing them with their voice.

So then came the interval and the boys left stage, I had to take a bathroom break so didn’t get to mingle with the fans as per usual their was a queue for the ladies. Refreshments and snacks where available to the audience which many took as a chance to mingle and chat. Not my mother though she preferred to be a loner J.

The lights dimmed to signify the boys return and everyone found their seats in anticipation of what is to come

The boys came on stage in groups, with the first group facing away from the audience with their hoods up, then another group came in facing the audience with their hoods up followed by one finally group facing the audience with no hoods up, sakura is a small song and didn’t last for long, in the background a candle was shown burning on a projection screen, sakura was followed by May the road rise up to meet you and I must say Flynn did and amazing job at this song he sounded confident and has a soft soothing voice that is ideal for the song. Poor Kavana had a little speech in which he had the sneezes and sounded as if he still hadn’t got rid of his cold (shows his ability to sing as he sounds amazing with a cold) this lead to the song hymn to beauty, to me this song just seems or mixed up and had to follow the words as there are a lot of different cannons going on even though the boys did a very good job at singing I did not enjoy this song much, Freddie and James then got into their positions for prayer (the stage set up was the same as on the DVD) I think the boys did well on this song even though I think it sounded like Freddie needed to cough as he sounded a bit husky but they both managed to get the high notes just right and as usual the whole choir did astounding with their harmonies ( my mum LIKED this song). Liam once again took centre stage and talked about the previous songs (getting a bit mixed up on the order)
You were there was next to follow Liam’speech and as I stated earlier I think Josh as the soloist just didn’t cut it he has lost that heart warming charm to his voice but that is inevitable as he is getting older, the chorus and harmony bit in the middle was excellent and was performed like they had done it 100’s of times .Orinoco flow followed you were there and sounded truly like the one on the CD showing that the boys are just naturals, even though we knew that J Josh and Ed had the solo parts and coped very well with this, another speech from a boy in the choir but yet again I forgot what it was and who It was for now. Now for my Favourite song (mysterium) of the evening due to the incredible talents of Mr Day he managed to hit all the notes and sounded like he could go higher, the whole choir got the harmonies right and the lighting and hooded robes made you feel a sense of mystery, it makes me wonder why Ed does not get more solo’s. Sacris soleminis also one of the highlights of the night, as far as I could tell Daniel was doing the high notes and boy that lad is good, the harmonies where amazing and complemented Daniel’s voice very well, the music did seem a bit loud and would have been better if it was quieter as in the quite harmony bits it was hard to hear the boys. Liam took centre stage and talked about Fiona, Robert and Steven, Stay with me was the next song and I must add I think Daniel Fontannaz will be a close runner for the title of one of the key soloist as he sang this song with ease and with his gentle yet powerful voice he seemed to have complete control of the song, Liam did the high notes and with his usual unbelievable ability to sing high notes he complemented Daniels voice and made this version of stay with me my favourite. Going home was to follow and with Ed Day doing the bits Tom Cully did in the DVD, now this was my favourite song that Josh soloed in and as we all have witnessed his and Bens voice suit together, once again I think the music mainly Fiona was a bit loud but that did not take away from another good performance from Libera. Now James Morduant or Freddie Ingles (they are so small it was hard to distinguish who was who) took the stage and said that they will be singing one more song there theme tune Libera and with a cute high pitched good night ran back to their position on the stage. Now as you can imagine the stops weren’t pulled on this song the lighten was bright making patterns on the back wall and ceiling and as you can imagine this song was performed to a very high standard even though I found it hard to understand Liam as he seemed to have difficulty projecting his voice other than on those beautiful top notes, and with the last high note the lights shot across the ceiling like on I am the day and once again gave you the feel that the boys had powered the lights. With a standing ovation the boys got into a line and had photos

Unfortunately my mother and me had to come home to the puppy so I couldn’t stay for the encore even though I really wanted to and thus I couldn’t get photos either and also my phone died in the interval L but I saw lots of photos were taken so hopefully they will get posted soon.

F.Y.I

Tom Cully was at the concert he seemed to be following Jonathan around on stage and took the back row, even though in certain songs such as Salva me he did sing in the group before the chorus, I don’t know weather his voice has broken even though it seems like that but he still looked like he thoroughly enjoyed the concert.

And Tom Cole was not there againL
Also do we know anything about Henry Barrington as he did not appear.

Libera at Arundel performed by

Jonathan Barrington, Tiarnan Branson, Oliver Cole, Liam Connery, Kavana Crossley, Tom Cully, Ed Day, Jakob De Menezes Wood, Daniel Fontannaz, Freddie Ingles, Stefan Leadbeater, Alex Leggett, Sam Leggett, Josh Madine, Flynn Marks, James Morduant, Sammy Moriarty, Ben Philipp, Carlos Rodriguez, Alfie Smart, Ralph Skan, James Threadgill, Michael Vereycken.
When you miss me just look up to the night sky and remember, I'm like a star; sometimes you can't see me, but I'm always there.
Liberation
Silver Member

Post by Liberation »

Reading all this I can't wait to see them again someday at a live concert.
It must have been a great and fine concert.
Thanks for all the stories / setlist ! (I wish I was there, but unfortunaly)