2023 - Two UK Concerts in December

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Re: 2023 - Two UK Concerts in December

Post by TullyBascombe »

If the seats were bought by Libera family, that's about 100 seats bought. Does that sound about right for a group of 20 to 30 boys? Anyway, perhaps it's right that the families of the Libera community get a concert that's mostly their own. The families make sacrifices for the group also.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:43 am">9 months ago</span> If the seats were bought by Libera family, that's about 100 seats bought. Does that sound about right for a group of 20 to 30 boys? Anyway, perhaps it's right that the families of the Libera community get a concert that's mostly their own. The families make sacrifices for the group also.
100 seats for 30 boys isn't unreasonable. If just both parents attend for each boy, that's 60 seats already. The number only increases once you factor in grandparents, siblings, and other family members. This averages to about 3 guests per boy, a low figure if you ask me.

In fact, we should be wondering why they didn't scoop up far more seats than that.
LordG

Post by LordG »

Even if one assumes that the first rows are filled by relatives, the question arises whether these
seats were acquired through regular channels (Patron or Friend of SJSS) or through Libera itself.
In any case, it is pointless to philosophize about it, the seats did not end up on general sale. :(
All Albums (CD+Vinyl) in my possession :oops: :D
SingForEver

Post by SingForEver »

I am wondering where the assumption that the seats have been taken by family members comes from. Is there someone with inside information on this forum?

To me it looks like the seats where regularly bought up by patron members of SJSS during the presale phase before the general sale commenced. Of course it sounds reasonable to assume that some of the parents could be patron members themselves, but I doubt that SJSS would give them any rebates. They probably had to pay the 150 GBP for the chance to buy two tickets or 300 GBP for the chance to buy four, if they could afford it. If anyone has information to the contrary, please correct me if I‘m wrong as I don‘t have any inside information myself and couldn’t find any statement by Libera on their website either that would imply anything in this regard.

I agree that the only thing that is certain right now is that the tickets didn‘t end up on general sale. Right now I am waiting if a time will be announced at which the tickets for the Arundel concert will go on sale.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Sad to say I’ve been out of the loop and missed this one. I would have had to choose anyway as I can’t afford to attend both SJSS and Arundel (money/timewise). Hopefully I’ll be able to attend the Arundel concert. How has everyone done on getting a (good) seat?
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

SingForEver wrote: <span title="Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:33 pm">9 months ago</span>
To me it looks like the seats where regularly bought up by patron members of SJSS during the presale phase before the general sale commenced. Of course it sounds reasonable to assume that some of the parents could be patron members themselves, but I doubt that SJSS would give them any rebates. They probably had to pay the 150 GBP for the chance to buy two tickets or 300 GBP for the chance to buy four, if they could afford it.
Patrons & friends of St John's don't have a limit on the number of tickets they can purchase. I think you are confusing the number of free tickets they get for lunchtime concerts.

The supposition that parents have bought many of the tickets is because for past concerts, Patrons didn't seem that interested in buying out the show. Logic says that for such numbers to sell so quickly that parents #may# have clubbed together to buy a patronship or two so they could preempt the public ticket sale bun fight and get decent seats.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
LordG

Post by LordG »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:44 pm">9 months ago</span>
SingForEver wrote: <span title="Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:33 pm">9 months ago</span>
To me it looks like the seats where regularly bought up by patron members of SJSS during the presale phase before the general sale commenced. Of course it sounds reasonable to assume that some of the parents could be patron members themselves, but I doubt that SJSS would give them any rebates. They probably had to pay the 150 GBP for the chance to buy two tickets or 300 GBP for the chance to buy four, if they could afford it.
Patrons & friends of St John's don't have a limit on the number of tickets they can purchase. I think you are confusing the number of free tickets they get for lunchtime concerts.

The supposition that parents have bought many of the tickets is because for past concerts, Patrons didn't seem that interested in buying out the show. Logic says that for such numbers to sell so quickly that parents #may# have clubbed together to buy a patronship or two so they could preempt the public ticket sale bun fight and get decent seats.
Your support makes a difference

As a St John’s Smith Square Friend or Patron, you are directly helping us to:

support world-class national and international artists
nurture and develop emerging musical talent
encourage music-making in the community
maintain and care for the heritage of a Grade I listed building

Be a Friend or Patron

All our supporters receive:

10% off standard tickets booked in advance through our Box Office (2 per event)
Season brochures
Other offers and promotions throughout the season

Levels of annual membership
Patron
£150, or £140 annual direct debit, or just £12.50 monthly direct debit

As a Patron, you will receive:

10% off standard tickets booked in advance (two per event)
• Regular advance information about our concerts and events
Admission for 2 people to every concert in our Lunchtime Concert Series
• Priority Booking 7 days in advance of the general public*
• No booking fee
• Credit of your generosity on our website
• Other offers throughout the year, including invitations to Southbank Sinfonia at St John’s Smith Square supporter events

*some events and festivals may be outside of our season release dates and therefore may not apply to priority booking.
Friend
£45, or £40 annual direct debit, or just £3.75 monthly direct debit.

As a Friend, you will receive:

10% off standard tickets booked in advance (two per event)
• Regular advance information about our concerts and events
Free admission for 2 people to concerts in our Lunchtime Concert Series
• Priority Booking 2 days in advance of the general public
• Other offers and opportunities throughout the year*

*some events and festivals may be outside of our season release dates and therefore may not apply to priority booking.

Source: https://www.sjss.org.uk/support-us
It is not explicitly listed, but I have my doubts that a friend or patron can purchase more than two tickets
when only two tickets mentioned at a time. :?
All Albums (CD+Vinyl) in my possession :oops: :D
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Post by theriverflowson »

Still no further information about tomorrow's ticket sale for Arundel? What is their "online box office", TicketSource?
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

LordG wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:56 pm">9 months ago</span>
It is not explicitly listed, but I have my doubts that a friend or patron can purchase more than two tickets
when only two tickets mentioned at a time. :?
Doubt away, the evidence says otherwise.

Mercy & Love
SingForEver

Post by SingForEver »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:44 pm">9 months ago</span> Patrons & friends of St John's don't have a limit on the number of tickets they can purchase. I think you are confusing the number of free tickets they get for lunchtime concerts.

Thanks for explaining the reasoning. If there really is no limit on the number of tickets, that could indeed be an explanation, as it sounds logical that the parents would organize a few patrons among them who would buy tickets for everyone interested. It‘s difficult to know for certain, but it might well be the case.

The patron system might work well for the parents in that scenario, unfortunately it doesn‘t work well if you are not close friends with a large circle of people interested in Libera and would just like to buy a ticket or two. But maybe the idea behind it really is that the London concert is mainly for the parents and patrons and the Arundel concert is mainly for the fans and the general public.

Another thought: Perhaps there will be more UK concerts next year which could also make it easier for their British and European fans to get tickets for nice seats.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

SingForEver wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:21 pm">9 months ago</span>
Thanks for explaining the reasoning. If there really is no limit on the number of tickets, that could indeed be an explanation, as it sounds logical that the parents would organize a few patrons among them who would buy tickets for everyone interested. It‘s difficult to know for certain, but it might well be the case.

The patron system might work well for the parents in that scenario, unfortunately it doesn‘t work well if you are not close friends with a large circle of people interested in Libera and would just like to buy a ticket or two. But maybe the idea behind it really is that the London concert is mainly for the parents and patrons and the Arundel concert is mainly for the fans and the general public.

Another thought: Perhaps there will be more UK concerts next year which could also make it easier for their British and European fans to get tickets for nice seats.
I know you can buy more than two tickets because I have previously bought 6 myself and there was no upper limit on tickets given to me when I phoned the box office to book them.

Libera are unusual in that they have a somewhat fanatical fan base which really isn't anything like that which you get with other choirs or classical music artists. As a general rule of thumb classical musical goers would prefer to sit further back to get the full sound blend. With Libera a premium is placed on being as near to the stage as possible (both in fan seating preference and the ticket pricing), which might be because they use amplification and so that is less necessary although I'm told the sound is best nearer the mixing board.

So, we have a situation where we have a very a large group of boys (30+) meaning that we have twice as many parents and family members wanting to attend than for a 'normal' UK choir + an enthusiastic fan base and they all want to be able to see the group as close up as possible. When they have given parents preferential booking there has been some grumbling among fans, when they don't the parents/family can get squeezed out by the fan base. It is near impossible to please both :(
St John's SS is relatively unique being that they their offer patrons and friends preferential booking. Normally that won't be an issue because people will be buying two tickets or maybe four for their other events but Libera isn't a normal event.

More than two UK concerts tends to only happen when they are not invited overseas to tour in the summer. The problem with more than two concerts is attendance figures can make it financially difficult. Last year at Brighton and Chichester they didn't manage to sell out which can put a strain on finances. The London concerts tend to do best although the venues (apart from Westminster Cathedral) tend to be smaller. So I don't ever expect more than two UK concerts and even if there were, the same scramble for the best seats would see the same issues play out (and yes, I'm as guilty of it as anybody else).

Mercy & Love
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Save the date!

dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

I have 1 Available ticket second row if anybody missed out in that scramble. PM if interested:)
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Anyone? :? :wink:
sjss_libera_20230717.jpg
sjss_libera_20230717.jpg (78.78 KiB) Viewed 3872 times
sjss_libera_20230717.jpg
sjss_libera_20230717.jpg (78.78 KiB) Viewed 3872 times
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Wow :shock: I am so glad Libera gets such full attendance. But also I am very surprised it went so fast ??? Have hundreds of fans got out of covid-hibernation ?

Where were they last summer ?