Vienna Boys Choir: From Austria with Love

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

Luckdragon
Gold Member

Vienna Boys Choir: From Austria with Love

Post by Luckdragon »

Filmed during the recent Austrian lockdown, this is a rare opportunity to see and hear the boys from all 4 touring groups in one concert. Each group performs for about 10 minutes, and then they all sing the final song together. The video is about 43 minutes long and you can pay whatever you want, from $5 to $250.

https://app.idagio.com/live/event/vienn ... -with-love

Repertoire

Manolo Cagnin, Conductor:

1. Ludwig van Beethoven (1770 – 1827): An die Freude (Ode to Joy) aus / from: Symphonie Nr. 9, opus 125 (1824). Text: Friedrich von Schiller (1759 – 1805)

2. Franz Schubert (1797 - 1828): Der Gondelfahrer (The gondolier), D 809 (1824). Text: Johann Baptist Mayrhofer (1787 – 1836)

3. Singa is ins’re Freud (Singing is our joy). Scherzlied aus Tirol und Salzburg / Jocular song from the Tyrol and Salzburg. Arr.: Gerald Wirth

Manuel Huber, Conductor:

4. Hiatamadl (Shepherdess). Tanzlied aus Oberösterreich / Dancing song from Upper Austria. Arr.: Gerald Wirth

5. Wann du durchgehst durchs Tal (When you walk through the valley). Liebeslied aus Kärnten / Love song from Carinthia. Arr.: Gerald Wirth

6. Juchhe, Tirolerbua (Hey, Tyrolean lad). Lied zum Almauftrieb aus Tirol / Cattle-driving song from the Tyrol. Arr.: Gerald Wirth

Jimmy Chiang, Conductor:

7. Franz Schubert (1797 - 1828): Widerspruch (Contradiction) D. 865. Text: Johann Gabriel Seidl (1804 - 1875)

8. Es steht ein Baum im tiefen Tal (There is a tree down in the valley). Volkslied aus dem Burgenland / Folk song from Burgenland. Arr.: Gerald Wirth

9. Waldhansl (John of the Forest). Pascher aus dem Ausseerland / Clapping song from the Ausseerland (Styria). Arr.: Gerald Wirth

10. Gerald Wirth (*1965): Tradigister. Jodler aus Niederösterreich / Yodel from Lower Austria

Oliver Stech, Conductor:

11. Franz Bertolini (1875 – 1962): Müsle gang ga schlofa (Little mouse goes to sleep). Text: Walter Weinzierl (1902 – 1972)

12. Ferry Wunsch (1901 - 1963): Heut kommen d’Engerln auf Urlaub nach Wean (Today the angels come to Vienna for a holiday). Text: Franz Josef Hub (1904 – 1955)

13. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756 – 1791) Godiam la pace (Let us rejoice over peace) aus der Oper Idomeneo, rè di Creta KV 366 / from the opera Idomeneo K. 366. Text: Giambattista Varesco (1735 – 1805). Arr.: Gerald Wirth

14. Johann Strauss Sohn / Johann Strauss II (1825 – 1899), Nach Ansage – To Be Announced. Voting on Facebook: Donauwalzer / Kaiserwalzer / Wiener Blut. Arr. Gerald Wirth

15. Johann Strauss Vater (1804 – 1849): Radetzky-Marsch (Radetzky March) opus 228 (1848). Arr.: Gerald Wirth

Gerald Wirth, conductor:

16. Ludwig van Beethoven (1770 – 1827): An die Freude (Ode to Joy) aus / from: Symphonie Nr. 9, opus 125 (1824). Text: Friedrich von Schiller (1759 – 1805)

The concert was filmed at the Salon of the Augartenpalais (Austria).
Celt

Re: Vienna Boys Choir: From Austria with Love

Post by Celt »

I watched this when it was first made available, and thought it was fantastic, especially seeing all the different choirs for the first time! There was a second video released that Christmas, 2020, but that one isn't as good. I was also a bit disappointed that they did nothing new (that I am aware of) for Xmas 2021 other than re-release these two videos.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Celt wrote: <span title="Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:12 am">2 years ago</span> I watched this when it was first made available, and thought it was fantastic, especially seeing all the different choirs for the first time! There was a second video released that Christmas, 2020, but that one isn't as good. I was also a bit disappointed that they did nothing new (that I am aware of) for Xmas 2021 other than re-release these two videos.
Interesting. I really enjoyed the Christmas one because it appeared to be a "best of the best" ensemble. The sound was also better. Sure, they could have packed in a few more Christmas songs by dispensing with the Christmas tree story and readings, but the nearly iconic image of the boy with the lamb almost made it seem worth it to me.

Lamb Boy didn't look too happy in this video. I hope it wasn't because somebody turned his little friend into lambchops.

The fact that these videos will be available until the end of 2023 makes me doubt that they plan to make more any time soon.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Agreed! I too saw it originally in 2020 and am surprised nothing new was done since. My understanding is that the financial situation (isn't it always about money to come extent? :( ) for WSK has changed as a result of the pandemic when they could no longer use tours to finance their operations. Maybe that has affected how they are managing things but who knows.

Nevertheless, extending access to a Christmas 2020 concert into 2023 doesn't bode well for an organization - nor does charging money so long after the fact.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Mine will not be a popular take but...

I can't take them seriously since they did the 'Goes Pop' album. Basically a circus act masquerading as a choir. The whole four touring choirs thing reeks of a money making business rather than a musical enterprise. There is a reason the Vienna State Opera stopped using them in their performances.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Celt

Post by Celt »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:56 pm">2 years ago</span> Mine will not be a popular take but...

I can't take them seriously since they did the 'Goes Pop' album. Basically a circus act masquerading as a choir. The whole four touring choirs thing reeks of a money making business rather than a musical enterprise. There is a reason the Vienna State Opera stopped using them in their performances.
I have to say, I agree with you! The Austria with Love video is maybe the best thing they've done recently.

I saw them in Austria over one weekend six years ago. Heard them in their Friday recital at their MuTh concert hall and for the Sunday service in the Hofmusikkapelle. I'm happy I went and ticked it off my list, but I was not impressed enough to have wanted to rush back since. One soloist on Sunday was good, but the concert on the Friday was a bit underwhelming. In that one, the soloist for Ave Maria (Caccini/Vavilov) got cheered by someone in the crowd shouting "Bravo!" and I honestly couldn't work out why (unless it was a parent), he was fine but not exceptional. I had literally heard a much better version from a French soloist singing the exact same song the weekend before in Paris! The impression I get is, it is far too commercially orientated and that the music quality has suffered as a result.

If you want a good Austrian Choir, I would always suggest the St. Florianer Sängerknaben before the WSK.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

I have seen them a few times when they came on tour to the US and the quality has varied quite a bit; mainly in terms of the repertoire they chose. A lot of the songs and performance things they do are meant to be cutsie and kitsch; rather than musically rich :? With that said, they have had a few good soloists and are obviously well trained; so I'm not ready to relegate them to the trash heap quite yet.

Why they did abysmal things like the "Goes Pop" album I will never understand. Though given that they made that album twenty years ago and haven't repeated this grave error hopefully shows they learned from their mistakes.

One of the four choirs remains in Austria doing the religious services at their church as part of a choir of men and boys; in addition to local performances. So even if they mostly practice the less serious music when on tour at least occasionally they do something more serious. Albeit that might not be enough in the career of a chorister/touring group to raise the standard. Though they did record the Mozart Coronation Mass back in 2009 and it sounds perfectly fine to my ear.
Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:56 pm">2 years ago</span> There is a reason the Vienna State Opera stopped using them in their performances.
Wasn't aware of that.
Celt wrote: <span title="Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:08 pm">2 years ago</span> If you want a good Austrian Choir, I would always suggest the St. Florianer Sängerknaben before the WSK.
An excellent choir!
j8000

Post by j8000 »

There's nothing new in these complaints. :(

Benjamin Britten wrote the opera The Golden Vanity for them in 1966, which they took on a two month tour of Europe. He was impressed by their first performance of it, but was horrified by the performance at the end of the tour as the boys were obviously overworked and tired. He accused the director at the time, Anton Neyder, of exploiting them, and said he would never have composed the work for them if he knew how badly they would be treated. Neyder refused to ever perform it again.
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

We have been discussing the Vienna Boys Choir lately...

I have to say, I just don't understand why they produce such bad "pop" albums, when they are actually able to sing decently. Maybe you will think differently, but I think these two pieces are nice :

I would honestly be interested in hearing them live. It just sounds like different choirs (from the pop album one), and yes, people have pointed the fact that there are various groups touring. Maybe some are good and others... just not ?