Schola Cantorum - Hodie!

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

Padmachou
Silver Member

Re: Schola Cantorum - Hodie!

Post by Padmachou »

Oh yeah this director is good, the way the soloists smile with pride when they get back to their post after singing is quite something :D
It was a great concert, well done to the choristers they are really good.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Celt wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:02 pm">2 years ago</span> Stunning concert this lunchtime at the Royal Opera House!!
► Show Spoiler
I love the combination of harp and treble voices. Sounds like a little slice of heaven.
Celt

Post by Celt »

So, I finally managed, after several years of saying I was going to, to attend the Ceremony of Carol's at St Paul's Cathedral. I queued up super early in the rain and due to Omikron scaring away some of the premium ticket-holders I got bumped up to front row. :D
► Show Spoiler
But you know the thing is, it was very nice... but CVMS were better. :shock:
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Celt wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:27 pm">2 years ago</span> But you know the thing is, it was very nice... but CVMS were better. :shock:
I'm not surprised :D CVMS was very good last week, it can't be easy to do better !
Were the soloists good at St Paul ? That's one thing that can be improved by CVMS I think, they were mostly good, or very very good, but not always perfect.
Celt

Post by Celt »

The soloists were good but not exceptional. The same two came forward for every solo section, I've seen them before at evensong and in online streams and they look like they are the oldest in the group, I suspect one is the head chorister but certainly senior choristers anyway. As for getting perfect soloists, that is difficult for any choir to do when they have a limited catchment area, especially if they are not a boarding school. CVMS has the advantage that despite not being a boarding school they have a group of singers that benefit from essentially double training and performance opportunities.
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Yes and one might not be as good one day and an other random day, if you catch a cold or you are tired... I guess it is even more difficult for a young boy than it is for a professional adult singer.
j8000

Post by j8000 »

It's certainly a work which contains lots of opportunities to deliver a less than stellar performance!

I'm looking forward to be able to attend concerts in London again, alas I'm having to miss this Christmas season for family reasons.
Celt

Post by Celt »

I may give Westminster Abbey's Ceremony of Carols a try on Sunday, I expect that one to be quite good. :)
Celt

Post by Celt »

After a few days of frustration, finally a decent recital. The Choir of Westminster Abbey in a fantastic performance of the Ceremony of Carols. Their Recession lingered until the very last whispering decibel, which I suspect was sung from the cloisters. It was absolutely great! Benchmark for tomorrow's rerun by CVMS. :D
► Show Spoiler
Celt

Post by Celt »

Marvelous! Super sound again and ending with an encore of Tomorrow Will Be My Dancing Day!

A couple of the soloists sounding a bit hoarse due to colds and sore throats, so W. Abbey edges it on the solos, but otherwise easily on par.
► Show Spoiler
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Thanks for sharing :)
How did they managed the procession and recession for the Ceremony of Carols ?
Did they walked the centrail aisle ?
Celt

Post by Celt »

Started at the back of the hall and walked on down the right hand side. They also walked off the same side. Not as effective as leaving the room like in the ROH but at least the sound was dynamic.