100 people!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

Libera_me

Post by Libera_me »

3000 people! Wow! Thats really cool that you can do that! I don't mind speaking infront of say 30 or 40 people, but 3000!!! Wow!
libera36

Post by libera36 »

Very brave of you tcliffy :D I wouldn't be able to do that... I don't even like people watching me or looking at me at all!
Mathmaniac
Silver Member

Post by Mathmaniac »

Sometimes the best way to get over a fear is to confront it head on. If you ever "have to" speak in front of hundreds or thousands of people (or even 10 or 20), just assume it has to be done by you, and focus on what to say, not on the fact you will be speaking.
"The true joy of life is the journey. Don't become obsessed with calculating the steps to achieve goals. Instead, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more, cry less, and enjoy the presence of the people around you."
- Dr. John Grieco, 1941-2004
DrewE
Silver Member

Post by DrewE »

One tip I read about confronting/avoiding nervousness about public speaking or performing or whatever is to figure out what you do when you're nervous--twitch your knee, bite your fingernails, breathe rapidly, tense up, or whatever--and consciously force your body to not do those things. Strange as it may seem, this not only reduces the symptoms of being nervous but somehow also makes you feel a bit less so, too.

I've never spoken to thousands of people, but I have at times made presentations of various sorts to dozens people and been in music groups performing for reasonably sized audiences. It's never been a big fear of mine, but that doesn't mean I always feel calm and collected, either!

Only a couple of weeks ago I gave a presentation/lecture at in a telephone conference at work, a slightly surreal experience. It's precisely like talking to an empty room; there's no feedback at all during the presentation from the people listening. It's really strange not having any sense of whether a bit of humor fell flat or not, or whether what you said made sense or completely confused people. (The call did go very well for me, thankfully.)
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

In school, we always have to do impromptu presentations and it always scared the wits out of me! And I'm not very confident, and my public speaking skills isn't too good. Well, I have problems engaging the audience too. Argh. What should I do to improve?
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

I completely agree with Drew. However, when I get really nervous my hands start to shake and I can't consciously prevent/stop it.
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Libera_me

Post by Libera_me »

We now have over 5000 topics posted! Yeah! More reason to celebrate!!
"There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that reflets it." -Edith Wharton
Elendil

Post by Elendil »

Libera_me wrote:We now have over 5000 topics posted! Yeah! More reason to celebrate!!
haha u mean 5000 posts! we're nowhere close to 5000 topics, but we'll get there.
Attende Domini et miserere
Quia peccavimus tibi
Attendite et miserere Domine
Libera_me

Post by Libera_me »

Woops! Your right Endil. Sorry!
"There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that reflets it." -Edith Wharton
Mathmaniac
Silver Member

Post by Mathmaniac »

Quick update: a little more than a month after we hit the 100 mark, we're at 127 now!
"The true joy of life is the journey. Don't become obsessed with calculating the steps to achieve goals. Instead, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more, cry less, and enjoy the presence of the people around you."
- Dr. John Grieco, 1941-2004