GlennJalmas

Re: New Album "If" (Oct 2021 release)

Post by GlennJalmas »

Another Tweet from Libera Moose🙂🦌..

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thanks! "Once an Angel" is clearly a new song. Can someone who can read music glean any further information from that sheet about the piece?
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Oh nice of them! Well, very obviously it's not the Neil Young. :wink: As no-one doubted about. Minor key song, nice tune from what's visible, and I can't find the lyrics online. So this is one of the "brandnew" songs I guess and hopefully composed by Robert.

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:53 am">2 years ago</span> It seems we were correct about the Vivaldi, the Ave Maria, and the Nunc Dimittis. I'm honestly surprised that the reference there is to a TV series which ran from 1979 until 1980; rather than to simply refer to it as the Geoffrey Burgon version.
As for the Nunc Dimittis, I wasn't aware that it belongs to a TV series. As it apparently was composed for it and not taken over as an existing piece, I find it very correct to refer to it like this. Anyway, the description fits to the fact that with If there 's another film piece on the album.

Regarding Cum dederit, well, I'm not good at guessing soloists, but in this case my guess strongly relies on Dominik having the solo, because, as we know, he likes and was busy with recording this kind of music during the lockdown. And one of those pieces was a Vivaldi (Laudamus te) already. Not completely sure, but I just think that this is his music and he is predestinated for having the solo here. :D

I'm glad to see that it follows If. As If is the pivot point (?) of this album for me and I find it impressive and fabulous that it is the title song, expressing so much with lyrics so timelessly essential, I put some weight on what music should be chosen to follow such a song. I think that Cum dederit is well able to gently lead over from If: not continuing the deep, deep emotion and yet not leave it too carelessly by for example a fun song like Sing. Still serious, but neutral in a way, I consider a baroque piece a perfect choice there.

What I don't like is how inconsistently they present the composers or origins of the songs or not. Why?!
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

I was unaware of the "Nunc Dimittis" having been composed specifically for the show because the composer has written other liturgical music. If that is the case, then, yes,it makes some sense to do that. But the show being from over 40 years ago, and mostly unknown today, makes it a bit strange for me; but this is not so much a complaint but confusion on my part. Especially because this was not noted on the Angel Voices 2 album. I no longer have the physical disc but Google images of the back of the CD case note only the title. While the Best of Angel Voices album notes the composer. Nevertheless, this is not an important detail and may be something they are using as a marketing tool/ploy :wink: and I hope it works!
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:50 pm">2 years ago</span> What I don't like is how inconsistently they present the composers or origins of the songs or not. Why?!
Marketing! :lol:
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:50 pm">2 years ago</span> Regarding Cum dederit, well, I'm not good at guessing soloists, but in this case my guess strongly relies on Dominik having the solo, because, as we know, he likes and was busy with recording this kind of music during the lockdown. And one of those pieces was a Vivaldi (Laudamus te) already. Not completely sure, but I just think that this is his music and he is predestinated for having the solo here. :D
This guess makes perfect sense and he has the voice range for it. It remains to be seen who will sing it. I am equally curious as to who sings the Schubert! Tadhg or a newcomer to the piece like Luca. Tadhg did a very nice job and it is no simple piece to master.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:26 pm">2 years ago</span> Nevertheless, this is not an important detail and may be something they are using as a marketing tool/ploy :wink: and I hope it works!
This was my guess too: Boosting the sales. This would make more sense if the TV series was quite known, which I don't know. I had based my guess among others on this introduction, while I'm not sure about them calling it the "1979 version" which implies that there exists another one.

Libera is always, um, economical with such information on their album covers. The Japanese versions not so, they always tell more. Wasn't Benedictus Deus at least based on film music too as an extended version? No mention of that as well.

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:26 pm">2 years ago</span>
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:50 pm">2 years ago</span> What I don't like is how inconsistently they present the composers or origins of the songs or not. Why?!
Marketing! :lol:
Still no reason! :lol: If they use the film titles and composer names like Vivaldi, Schubert, Beethoven to announce the the album in order to promote it, okay, but having an album cover remain with such holey information about the sources never makes sense for me; I always miss it indeed.

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:26 pm">2 years ago</span> This guess makes perfect sense and he has the voice range for it. It remains to be seen who will sing it. I am equally curious as to who sings the Schubert! Tadhg or a newcomer to the piece like Luca. Tadhg did a very nice job and it is no simple piece to master.
Maybe Dominik's activities gave Robert the idea ...
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I think "Once an Angel" might turn out to be a memorable piece, but that's just a hunch. The sheet music shown on the "Libera Moose" twitter page shows that it's either E-flat major or C minor. It seems like a sad piece, but E-flat major is a more common key than C minor if I'm not mistaken. If anybody on this forum has more knowledge of music theory, I'm curious as to what you think. Anyways, I feel that this one could pack quite an emotional punch. I'm hesitant to use the term "tearjerker", but this one could definitely stimulate production of tears in Libera fans. I was curious about that photo with Alexandre, Dominik, and Victor standing in front of Luca who's in the recording box with headphones. Maybe it's just a nice picture but I couldn't help wondering if that was a clue to one of the songs.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:36 pm">2 years ago</span> The sheet music shown on the "Libera Moose" twitter page shows that it's either E-flat major or C minor. It seems like a sad piece, but E-flat major is a more common key than C minor if I'm not mistaken.
Of course this is only an extract and we don't know how the music progresses, but what can be seen of the verse is a C minor tune and so is the beginning of the refrain. For me this suits the bit of the lyrics we can also see.

I notice an accumulation of these very "embracing" songs and/or referring to music, singing, memories, a little wistful. I don't hope that this will be something like taking stock by Robert, but simply owed to the hard times of the pandemic. Perhaps it's only me, too sensitive at the moment for some obvious reasons.
Last edited by filiarheni on Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lux Aeterna

Post by Lux Aeterna »

The samples are available on itunes now. There are lots of new soloist so, I'll give you my opinion :lol: Once an Angel A very soothing Libera-like song, Victor is the soloist Cum Dederit I'm quite sure Dominik is the soloist here. A Viivaldi piece sung by Libera was unexpected, but it sounds great, I can't wait to hear the whole song. Ave Maria Finally a long rendition sung by Tadgh, I'm glad he had the opportunity to have a solo one last time. Nearer my God I like this voice, but I cant's say who he is. Vespera There is a beautiful plainchant intro slightly different from the original and with a strong lower voices presence. The soloist sounds like Luca. O Lord Supports us Beautuful descant at the beginning, again, I don't recognize the soloist. Sacris Solemnis A well known piece, the soloist is new but I think he could be Frederick. Nunc Dimittis This is strange, the soloist gives me a strong Alex Montoro vibe. Home A new solist with a young voice. Lux Aeterna I LOVE the "in paradisum" plainchant intro! The soloist is Oliver WR. Well, tell me what you think.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

So just my take on the new songs and soloists

Vespera it sounds like Luca does both parts to my ear

Nearer my god - Luca

Nunc - Victor I think but could be wrong

Home - Luca but not 100% - could be a new voice

Cum Dederit - Dom

Lux - no idea but love the opening of it
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Wow, if you can get through "Once an Angel" and "If" without watery eyes that would be quite an accomplishment. "Once an Angel" isn't just a new composition by RP, but it's quite distinct from any other original composition I've heard from him. Victor is definitely the soloist. I'll admit, the sample of "Cum dederit" was pretty good. They tweaked it just enough into something I should enjoy. I'm quite sure that Dominik is the soloist. I'm happy that they re-recorded the "Ave Maria" with Tadgh. He was decent but not quite his best on the "Apart but Together" version, while he sounds really solid on this album sample. "Nearer my God" has Luca on the melody line I believe. I wonder if that recent photo from Libera was showing the four singers on this piece. I'm happy that "O Lord Support Us" is another original composition, since none of the existing music by that name excited me much. Once again, it has some distinct elements when compared to other RP compositions, although maybe not quite as different as "Once an Angel".
We get to hear "Sacris Solemnis" with real instruments! I think the short solo may be a new soloist. I believe "Nunc Dimittis" features Tadgh as the primary soloist, although initially the voice reminded me of Michael Horncastle. I have no idea who the secondary soloist is. I think the soloist in "Home" may be Frederic Mushrafi. It reminds me of his speaking voice. I like the new introduction on "Lux Aeterna". I'm glad they didn't just jump to the verse right away like in the "New Dawn" version. Someone suggested that the soloist is Oliver W-R, which may be correct, or it could be another new soloist.
Last edited by bachmahlerfan on Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

I tell you what, this album is stunning! What a fantastic sound. I can't believe how good this is from start to finish.

Congratulations to RP and the boys. A really top drawer album and I can't wait for the full release, the videos & the concert.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Jay_S
Silver Member

Post by Jay_S »

SO good to hear what the tracks sound like. This will help to fill the void until the CD is released! Once an Angel, Daniel soloist? Cum Dederit, Dominik? It's gotta be Luca on the Ave Maria. The first soloist in Nearer my God to thee might be a new soloist. I'm not sure I recognize his voice. Freddy? It doesn't sound like Luca on Vespera but I love his voice who ever it is! O Lord Support us sounds great! I have no idea who it was that sang the opening. Sacris Solemnis is sooo good!! Deep Peace, sounds like Dom. Nunc Dimittis, Could that possibly be Tadhg? I cannot remember who sang the Solo on Home in the past. I think it is a different boy on this track. Vespera with back row boys! I think there is a handful of new soloists on the CD. A new era! :)
"with a down derry, derry down down"
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I don't know if this was mentioned before, but I feel that the song "If" takes on a greater significance in this version because a child is singing it. Of course, Anne Frank was around 13-14 years old when she wrote those words. The original version is very nice, but the solo is sung by an adult with a thick voice. If you were to rank the saddest songs ever performed by Libera, "If" and "Once an Angel" would have to rank near the top along with "Do not Stand" and a couple other songs.
enjaysea

Post by enjaysea »

I'm quite impressed. And I'm not easily impressed.