Secret Garden

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

bachmahlerfan

Secret Garden

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I thought I would mention this group since I've been listening to their music a lot the last few weeks. I'm sure that some of you are familiar with their music. While I like to do plenty of 'serious' classical music listening, I need to take a break sometimes and listen to something less demanding. There are only two permanent members of Secret Garden: Rolf Lovland (Norwegian), and Fionnuala Sherry (Irish).

Three of their albums seem to stand out from the rest, although there are some good tracks in the other albums. Those albums are "Songs from a Secret Garden" (debut album), "White Stones", and "Once in a Red Moon". There is one track in their debut album that kind of reminds me of a specific Libera song. I'm sure most of you could figure out which track I'm talking about. Also, for those who don't know, the Josh Groban version of "You Raise me up" is not the original version. The original version is contained in the "Once in a Red Moon" album, and was composed by Rolf Lovland (somebody else wrote the lyrics).
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Re: Secret Garden

Post by fan_de_LoK »

I know that group because they shared a track on a compilation CD where Libera was also present.

Here a sample of their music. That song won the 1995 Eurovision song contest.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:54 am">3 years ago</span> I thought I would mention this group since I've been listening to their music a lot the last few weeks. I'm sure that some of you are familiar with their music. While I like to do plenty of 'serious' classical music listening, I need to take a break sometimes and listen to something less demanding. [...]
Three of their albums seem to stand out from the rest, although there are some good tracks in the other albums. Those albums are "Songs from a Secret Garden" (debut album), "White Stones", and "Once in a Red Moon".
Not being familiar with them and following your suggestion, I've listened to their debut album and the music sounds certainly pleasant, but it doesn't catch my interest enough for listening more than once or twice. "Song from a Secret Garden" reminds me of Fauré's Pavane.

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:54 am">3 years ago</span> There is one track in their debut album that kind of reminds me of a specific Libera song. I'm sure most of you could figure out which track I'm talking about.
I found something. :wink: And was intending to pack it into a spoiler to not take away the fun from others, but the spoiler function is apparently not activated (?).

So ... attention, I'm spoiling: 8)

Secret Garden: Sigma
Libera: In paradisum

End of spoiler.

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:10 am">3 years ago</span> I know that group because they shared a track on a compilation CD where Libera was also present.
Which CD?
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

filiarheni wrote:Which CD?
It is named "Best Of World Music", a five CD compilation that gathers many well known artists.

http://mixpixardomusic.blogspot.com/201 ... c.html?m=1
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:49 pm">3 years ago</span>
bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:54 am">3 years ago</span> I thought I would mention this group since I've been listening to their music a lot the last few weeks. I'm sure that some of you are familiar with their music. While I like to do plenty of 'serious' classical music listening, I need to take a break sometimes and listen to something less demanding. [...]
Three of their albums seem to stand out from the rest, although there are some good tracks in the other albums. Those albums are "Songs from a Secret Garden" (debut album), "White Stones", and "Once in a Red Moon".
Not being familiar with them and following your suggestion, I've listened to their debut album and the music sounds certainly pleasant, but it doesn't catch my interest enough for listening more than once or twice. "Song from a Secret Garden" reminds me of Fauré's Pavane.

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:54 am">3 years ago</span> There is one track in their debut album that kind of reminds me of a specific Libera song. I'm sure most of you could figure out which track I'm talking about.
I found something. :wink: And was intending to pack it into a spoiler to not take away the fun from others, but the spoiler function is apparently not activated (?).

So ... attention, I'm spoiling: 8)

Secret Garden: Sigma
Libera: In paradisum

End of spoiler.
Well, you definitely guessed correctly about the track that resembles a Libera song. As I mentioned this is an example of music I enjoy outside of my "serious" music listening. I don't listen to it for any intellectual satisfaction, but it does satisfy me on an emotional level. It's worth checking out the other two recordings I mentioned as well. While some tracks may be in the general style of their debut album, other tracks are quite different, exploring different musical styles or combinations of instruments. While they do seem to excel at minor-keyed music, a couple of their happiest songs are quite good too, such as "Invitation" and "Celebration".
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:03 pm">3 years ago</span>
filiarheni wrote:Which CD?
It is named "Best Of World Music", a five CD compilation that gathers many well known artists.

http://mixpixardomusic.blogspot.com/201 ... c.html?m=1
Thank you, Patrick!

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:25 am">3 years ago</span> As I mentioned this is an example of music I enjoy outside of my "serious" music listening. I don't listen to it for any intellectual satisfaction, but it does satisfy me on an emotional level. It's worth checking out the other two recordings I mentioned as well. While some tracks may be in the general style of their debut album, other tracks are quite different, exploring different musical styles or combinations of instruments. While they do seem to excel at minor-keyed music, a couple of their happiest songs are quite good too, such as "Invitation" and "Celebration".
Yeah, I know what you mean. We all have our individual preferences, dependent on so many variables.In fact, I normally do prefer music in minor key (or even more: a mix of major and minor with emphasis on minor key); it's just that it didn't call my attention too much. But I will definitely check out the other two albums you mentioned, like I always check the suggestions by other Libera fans to find the one or the other gem. :)

I have just listened to "Invitations" and this piece is much more to my taste! 
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"