Perfect Pitch

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

Prototype

Perfect Pitch

Post by Prototype »

I was reading an old post discussing the vocal range of Libera's songs and one post got me thinking about perfect pitch. For those not musically trained, perfect pitch is the ability to identify any note, chord (group of notes) or interval (difference between two notes) without any reference. I have what a friend said was relative pitch, meaning I can identify an interval, but not identify indiviual notes themselves.

I am not sure whether having perfect pitch would be a blessing or a curse, because one would be able to hear all the imperfections in every piece of music ever played, and I think that would begin to bug me. So, I'm not sure weather I should be jealous of people with perfect pitch or not lol

You don't need perfect pitch to play an instrument or to sing, but I expect it to be advantageous. Does anyone here have perfect pitch, does anyone know if any of the boys in Libera have perfect pitch?
hiskeys
Silver Member

Re: Perfect Pitch

Post by hiskeys »

And then there's this guy, who you might have seen already - exceptional ability. Of course, he's been trained, and around music even in the womb.

Prototype

Post by Prototype »

Yes I saw that video a while ago, very impressive. Makes me wonder if there are cases where perfect pitch just comes naturally, or if it can only be learned by exposure to music from an early age.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Prototype wrote: <span title="Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:42 pm">4 years ago</span> I am not sure whether having perfect pitch would be a blessing or a curse, because one would be able to hear all the imperfections in every piece of music ever played, and I think that would begin to bug me. So, I'm not sure weather I should be jealous of people with perfect pitch or not lol
I have a relative pitch like you, but one of my sons has a perfect one. It can be advantageous in ways such as control of the own pitch while singing or playing an instrument, easier spontaneous accompanying of musical groups, producing music etc. But it can also be annoying, not only when another musician is not in pitch, but also when listening to music while reading the sheet music and it shows another key.

Prototype wrote: <span title="Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:15 pm">4 years ago</span>Does anyone here have perfect pitch, does anyone know if any of the boys in Libera have perfect pitch?
I don't know for sure, but I suspect Dominik of having it.

Prototype wrote: <span title="Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:15 pm">4 years ago</span> Makes me wonder if there are cases where perfect pitch just comes naturally, or if it can only be learned by exposure to music from an early age.
There are several ways. For a long time it was assumed that perfect pitch is only innate, but this is obviously not the whole truth, and it does not depend on musicality. See here for more:
https://translate.google.de/translate?h ... n-possible

The anecdote at the end ... :lol:
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"