2020 Album Speculation

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

Surpinto
Platinum Member

2020 Album Speculation

Post by Surpinto »

As has been discussed on a number of occasions, there are credible indications that Libera is contractually obligated to release an album annually to coincide with their tour to Japan. For those who are unfamiliar with this, Libera has a business relationship with Libera Records which is a front name for Wisteria Project. These are the people who bring Libera to Japan, run the Japanese fan club, and release a special Japanese version album ahead of the international release of the same. All of this is great and allows Libera to travel to Japan annually in an economically viable fashion; unlike touring the US which requires boatloads of donations.

However, their tours to Japan have, more or less, been in the Fall (autumn for those outside North America :wink:) and an album release coincided with their tour the last few years. This has all happened ever since they ended their relationship with Warner and have gone to an independent label retaining the rights to their music in a far greater way.

With all of that said, and going by Libera's past practices, I suspect that we may have an album again. That is great, but coming right on the heals of several highly successful album releases (Hope, Beyond, and Christmas Carols with Libera) is another new album warranted at this time? Has enough new music been composed/arranged to justify a new recording? I hope that the answer is yes but I would in no way fault Libera for deferring a major album release in favor of an EP or a single. Of course, such a release is premised on the theory that Libera are obligated by contract to provide an album annually to Libera-Records. If not, then that changes the calculus.

If there were to be a new album then it is likely that it is being recorded right now or within the next few months. As in the past there may even emerge social media photos of the boys doing these recordings. We know that some new songs tend to be debuted at the UK concert in Spring; so anyone attending in Ely will know if indeed anything new has emerged. We also know that not all recorded songs are destined to be performed live. Take "Salve Regina" which was only performed live a few years after its inception on Hope or "Three Ravens" on the same album which has never been performed live; just to name a few.

So what do you all think? Is Libera obligated to release a new album in time for the Japanese tour? If so, do you think it will be full of new great stuff or re-recordings of the more recent songs? A full album or an EP or a single?
bachmahlerfan

Re: 2020 Album Speculation

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I don't know anymore than you do about whether they are contractually obligated to do that or not. I do recall that someone spoke to one of the Libera staff at a concert in the past couple years, and apparently they expressed their intentions to release an album every year. I don't think that they mentioned any contractual obligation, but that doesn't necessarily mean there isn't one. I don't recall if the person mentioned this on this website or Twitter or Facebook. I would hope that with the apparent lack of touring the first half of this year they would have ample time to produce another album.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Based on some tweets and mentions on blogs from recent years, it seems they use a couple of days from the April vacations to go camp somewhere in South England and to do recordings. I remember a post on a social media last year about Ben C attending the place and training the boys. You remember it ?

Such private week occurs since three years in a row now. The last tour perfomed during the April vacations was South Korea 2016.
It is very likely to be the same for this year 2020, as it is now quite late to have an announce for a public event in April.
So yes, they will have probably large enough time until the Summer to do recordings for a new album.

Although I have no idea about how much it costs to produce and promote an album, likely a new album creates more incomes than the spending, don't you think ?
I am not sure Surpinto about a 'contractual obligation' to release a CD per year, but I guess that each release is profitable :)

BTW, us fans are delighted if libera can continue to bring us new songs and recordings each year, whatever the reason. Right ? :wink:

I do hope a new album will be available this October in Japan :)
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:44 pm">4 years ago</span> I don't know anymore than you do about whether they are contractually obligated to do that or not. I do recall that someone spoke to one of the Libera staff at a concert in the past couple years, and apparently they expressed their intentions to release an album every year. I don't think that they mentioned any contractual obligation, but that doesn't necessarily mean there isn't one. I don't recall if the person mentioned this on this website or Twitter or Facebook. I would hope that with the apparent lack of touring the first half of this year they would have ample time to produce another album.
hmmmm....that is interesting. I wonder if the staff member in question is someone who has a say in the music production side of things or was just expressing a hope that it would happen. Optimistic information in either case. :D
fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:15 pm">4 years ago</span> Based on some tweets and mentions on blogs from recent years, it seems they use a couple of days from the April vacations to go camp somewhere in South England and to do recordings. I remember a post on a social media last year about Ben C attending the place and training the boys. You remember it ?

Such private week occurs since three years in a row now. The last tour perfomed during the April vacations was South Korea 2016.
It is very likely to be the same for this year 2020, as it is now quite late to have an announce for a public event in April.
So yes, they will have probably large enough time until the Summer to do recordings for a new album.
Good point and, yes, I remember that quite well (Ben C and all). I think that if they want to record an album they seem to have enough time to do that as you say; especially if they do this camp again.
fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:15 pm">4 years ago</span>Although I have no idea about how much it costs to produce and promote an album, likely a new album creates more incomes than the spending, don't you think ?
I am not sure Surpinto about a 'contractual obligation' to release a CD per year, but I guess that each release is profitable :)

BTW, us fans are delighted if libera can continue to bring us new songs and recordings each year, whatever the reason. Right ? :wink:

I do hope a new album will be available this October in Japan :)
:D Certainly! It is clear to me that this new and more aggressive pattern of album releases did not exist prior to forming the relationship with Libera Records; and the coincidence with the Japanese tours, as well as exclusive Japanese versions of the albums, cannot be denied. Do not misunderstand me though; I am totally hoping that this contractual obligation does indeed exist so that we can look forward to an annual CD. A new album every year is a wonderful gift for us fans. :D The album release schedule prior was a bit less predictable and became downright chaotic for a while with various EPs and singles being issued almost concurrently. This more predictable schedule with a full album every year is far more preferable.

The only question is how much new music it will contain. Sam Coates has been doing a lot more arrangements for them lately so it is highly possible that cool, new pieces will be introduced on any forthcoming album. Obviously that is not said to take anything away from Robert Prizeman whose arrangements and original compositions are the stuff of Libera legend :wink: and will likely also make an appearance.