New CD "Christmas with LIBERA" in 2019

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Re: New CD "Christmas with LIBERA" in 2019

Post by fan_de_LoK »

The full album can be bought and downloaded as digital files from some Japanese sites.
Some sites propose standard versions as well as high-res audio versions.

I found it available at Ototoy.jp, which is very convenient even for us foreigners.
The site automatically adapts its menus to your language. The purchase can be paid with Paypal as well as with a credit card. Files are DRM free.
Coming from a Japanese selling site, the files names are not correctly encoded for us at first, and have to be renamed manually.
The files are numbered so it is easy to do :)

I see the digital album is aslo proposed on Amazon Japan, in standard version only.

(The Ototoy site proposes the largest version of the Japanese version cover that I found so far, size 1600*1600, see here ;) )
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:33 pm">4 years ago</span>
Padmachou wrote: <span title="Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:32 pm">4 years ago</span>
dani wrote: <span title="Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:14 pm">4 years ago</span> So the cd has now been officially released in Japan.

If I get too impatient I may try and download it from Japan iTunes.
Exactly how I feel right now :lol: But I plan on waiting the international album. Every minute is going to be torture, and I might be off this site at some point when I suffer too much from reading people's reviews :roll:
I join you in that. Close eyes and stay strong. I will not read any reviews before I have been able to listen to everything myself. And I'm planning to wait for the international release as well ... planning! :mrgreen:
Let's call it the "Christmas Torture Club" :lol:
And already is fan_de_LoK tempting us but we are strong with our believes :evil:
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Amie_Hill wrote: <span title="Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:53 pm">4 years ago</span> I don't, however, know of any COTB recording that begins with a single voice (as this one does on the Japanese sampler) instead of a small ensemble. I've checked the 2011 Christmas Album, the music video, and the Christmas in Ireland version.
The 2016 version of the "Libera at Christmas" album begins with Isaac alone.

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:16 pm">4 years ago</span> Let's call it the "Christmas Torture Club" :lol:
And already is fan_de_LoK tempting us but we are strong with our believes :evil:
Agree to all. :wink:
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

For the buyers of the 1st edition of the physical CD in Japan, there is a 'benefit' gift in the form of a Christmas card.

There are 6 different models of original Christmas cards, coming from these sellers :

1) TOWER RECORDS
2) HMV
3) TSUTAYA RECORDS
4) YAMANO Musical Inst.
5) RAKUTEN Books Online Shop
6) Other stores (including Amazon, Neowing, SonyMusicShop and many others)

So far only one model is known, the n°6, revealed by Yumiko-san on her Twitter :)

For sure the others will be known soon.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Thanks to Yumiko-san, the list of the boys credited on the CD is also known :)

They are the same 27 from the recent US tour + Luke, Joseph, Felipe, Nicholas and Romeo, giving a total of 32 :

Ethan Barron
Leo Barron
Nathaniel Bates-Fisher
Luke Batteson Dalpiaz
Luca Brugnoli
Ben Bywater
Dominik Clarke
Cassius Collard
Samuel-Francis Collins
Joseph Cranitch
Laurence Davey
Tadhg Fitzgerald
John Gardner
Alex Gula
Felipe Jackson
Peter Kielty
Alexandre Menuet
Mathias Montoro
Frederick Mushrafi
Oliver Mycka
Neo Parson
Koji Shinokubo
Taichi Shinokubo
Jack Spicha
Laurence Taylor
Nicholas Taylor
Rocco Tesei
Romeo Tesei
Calam Virk Tamana
Oliver Watt-Rodriguez
Daniel White
Victor Wiggin
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Good surprise! Bonne nouvelle!
The introduction first verse of 'Noël Nouvelet' is sung in French :)
Thank you Victor :wink:

"Noël nouvelet, Noël chantons ici.
Dévotes gens, crions à Dieu merci.
Chantons Noël, pour le Roi nouvelet
Noël nouvelet, Noël chantons ici
."

Then verses 1, 2, 3 and 6 are performed in the English version (which is nice too :mrgreen: )
As reminder, lyrics in both French and English can be seen here.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:08 pm">4 years ago</span> Good surprise! Bonne nouvelle!
The introduction first verse of 'Noël Nouvelet' is sung in French :)
Thank you Victor :wink:

"Noël nouvelet, Noël chantons ici.
Dévotes gens, crions à Dieu merci.
Chantons Noël, pour le Roi nouvelet
Noël nouvelet, Noël chantons ici
."

Then verses 1, 2, 3 and 6 are performed in the English version (which is nice too :mrgreen: )
As reminder, lyrics in both French and English can be seen here.
Does Victor not close the song in French as well?
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Yes, he does ;)
chris17

Post by chris17 »

Amie_Hill wrote: <span title="Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:53 pm">4 years ago</span> Not sure whether this has been covered here or not. It's been suggested that "Carol of the Bells" is an older recording from an earlier release. I don't, however, know of any COTB recording that begins with a single voice (as this one does on the Japanese sampler) instead of a small ensemble. I've checked the 2011 Christmas Album, the music video, and the Christmas in Ireland version. Is there another I don't know about, or is this a new recording of the song?
I'm 100% sure it's the 2015 recording from The Holiday EP, which is the EP that also had Santa Will Find You. It does start with a single voice (Isaac) and sounds exactly like the new sample on the Japanese iTunes. The sample on Libera's website also matches up with that recording. :) However, since it's from the EP, it is still a different recording than they had on either of their full Christmas albums. :)
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

chris17 wrote:I'm 100% sure it's the 2015 recording from The Holiday EP, which is the EP that also had Santa Will Find You.
Confirmed !! :)
bamboo
Silver Member

Post by bamboo »

chris17 wrote: <span title="Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:55 am">4 years ago</span> I'm 100% sure it's the 2015 recording from The Holiday EP, which is the EP that also had Santa Will Find You. It does start with a single voice (Isaac) and sounds exactly like the new sample on the Japanese iTunes. The sample on Libera's website also matches up with that recording. :) However, since it's from the EP, it is still a different recording than they had on either of their full Christmas albums. :)
If it is the same recording, then the soloists besides Isaac London, will include Alex Montoro & Lucas Wood as well?
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Listening to Carol of the Bells it does sound exactly like Isaac now.

It’s intriguing because why have the boys in question not been credited on the album?

Also let’s be honest this song is a shoe in to be sung like next week so why wouldn’t they record it fresh?
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

dani wrote: <span title="Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:25 am">4 years ago</span> It’s intriguing because why have the boys in question not been credited on the album?

Also let’s be honest this song is a shoe in to be sung like next week so why wouldn’t they record it fresh?
In my opinion, that's understandable. With the mass of songs which had to be recorded, they will have been quite glad to save some time and money by just taking a good existing recording of this one to fill up the possibly required number of songs (or time) of the album.

You are right, though, about crediting those who participated. There should at least be a hint to the recording year in the booklet.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

My Reviews

Short TL:DR Review
This album is extremely well done. There isn’t a single song on it which I dislike. Almost all of the new songs are fantastic and if I had to pick the absolute top of the top they would be:
  • "Sing Lullaby (The Infant King)" and "Poor Little Jesus" because they are strikingly beautiful.
  • "Noël Nouvelet" and "O Little Town of Bethlehem" which are great new songs that I could listen to over and over again.
  • "I Saw Three Ships" and "Ding Dong Merrily on High" because they are great, catchy, and fun new arrangements
But there are many other gems on this album! :D

Full review
The Angel Gabriel
A beautiful song and a good choice as the first track on this new album. It has many of the quintessential elements of the “Libera sound”; including the high soaring descants and harmonies. Victor does a good job on his solos contrasting nicely with the higher parts.

In Dulci Jubilo
While this song is arranged almost identically as the previous versions Libera has recorded there are subtle nuanced differences with the instruments and the tempo seems a bit increased to me. At about 1:58 a new part of the song begins which is without words until about 2:10 with the melody being sung with “aah’s”. But the part that always sends shivers down my spine is the part where the choir sings “…there are angels singing...” followed by a high descant which seems to be the very angel being portended by the verse. Not sure why but that verse is just so cool. Anyway, the song is great and the slight modifications are most welcome.

Do You Hear What I Hear
The song starts with multiple single voices echoing the song title. The production is obviously more sophisticated than the last time they recorded this on Angel Voices 3 back in the 1990’s. It’s a pretty song and well done with lots of instrumental ornamentation. I could see this one getting radio play.

In the Bleak Mid-Winter
The song started off as expected (with the added benefit of the Libera-style instrumental and vocal flourishes) but with every verse I was drawn in more and more. There is something special about Libera’s take on this song and when the choir starts singing acapella the climax of the song seems to be nearing, and then enter Dominik’s solo. His voice is very pure and well suited to the song. Then suddenly the piece is over much too abruptly and I am left wanting more. WOW. I love this song.

Ding Dong Merrily on High
Likely the most controversial song on the album (akin to “Exsultate”). First I want to say that regardless of what anyone thinks of the song personally, the arrangement is undeniably brilliant in the way that the song is constructed and the voices, beat, and instruments work together. I’m going to have to say that I like it :D. It’s catchy, unique, and fun. Clearly not meant to be a serious or heart-wrenching composition, I like the playfulness of the song and its design. My only critique is that it ends on 3 repeats of the same verse which would work wonderfully in a live concert but is less advantageous on a recording; but as far as critiques go that is a very mild one.

Sing Lullaby (The Infant King)
Achingly beautiful with Dominik’s flawless solo (with all parts backed by lower voices doing the “hmmmm” thing) elevating the song further. This is clearly one of my favorites on the entire album. The gentle ending to the song is a lullaby in and of itself to me. This is one of those songs which I find so beautiful that I fear over-listening to the piece lest the effect of it be somehow inextricably lost.

I Saw Three Ships
Upbeat and fun; this is also a brilliant arrangement combining the best of the choral nature of the song with a more modern arrangement. This one will get stuck in my head!

Walking in the Air
While I know that this is a classic song, it has never been a personal favorite. I like it but I don’t love it type of thing. The arrangement is fairly predictable in that there are no major deviations from previous versions done by others and the song is well recorded. Luca is absolutely stunning on this as the entire piece is basically him soloing. I would enjoy hearing this performed live but it’s not going to be a go-to song for me. Yet, Luca’s singing cannot be understated given that he was only 9 when he recorded that. That’s CRAZY!

Once in Royal David's City
The same arrangement as in this music video and very similar to previous recordings. A good, solid, and well-known song which Libera has always recorded well.

Carol of the Bells
Same arrangement as before with no marked changes so I will not comment further.

O Little Town of Bethlehem
I didn’t think that I would like this song too much, but enter Oliver WR starting off the song perfectly and suddenly it’s lifted up. The song has a very peaceful quality which I greatly enjoyed, and the string parts also elevate the piece nicely. The ending with Oliver’s voice closing the song just as he opened it rounds out song for me and makes it one to which I would return.

Poor Little Jesus
One of the best songs on the album. There is a solemnity and earnestness in this song which touches the heart in a unique way. Without any of the flourishes or the elaborate harmonies Libera often delivers, this song has a sort of raw quality to it which I am having difficulty categorizing; but which is very moving. Luca’s performance is incredible too.

Noël Nouvelet
With French and English being intermingled this song stands out just from that point of view. Also the explicit contrasting of the higher notes with the lower ones using both the voices and instruments is a cool feature. It’s an excellently done song and very catchy in it’s own way. A favorite!

Silent Night
Sung acapella with the classic arrangement I can find no fault with this song other than the fact that I may never hear it sung live. :roll:

What Child is This
This is the same arrangement as on the Ireland live album. I liked it a lot then and I like it a lot now. The soloists are solid on this but I’m afraid that I miss Isaac’s voice which was so well suited for this song. Although maybe I’m just so used to that version that it will take me time to acclimate.

Wexford Carol
As this is one of my top Libera favorites I’ve looked forward to this new recording for some time. There are no discernible differences between this version and the last studio version; although the instruments sound a bit clearer to me. Despite the fact that Tadhg has a great voice with a lovely gentle quality to it, I think I genuinely prefer Isaac’s voice on this piece. Tadhg’s voice is more breathy and less sweet than Isaac’s; and while that is no dig on Tadhg, Isaac set the bar so tremendously high on this song that I am doubtful that any soloist will come along anytime soon to better his recording of “Wexford Carol”.

Gaudete
Identical to what was recorded previously on no less than four prior albums. Good song but no further comment is needed.

How to Get The Album Early

Per fan_de_LoK’s post on twitter you can now purchase the full album (Japanese version) at Ototoy with payment via Paypal available and no geographic restrictions. :D Thank you fan_de_LoK!!

The files are only available in FLAC or ALAC formats rather than the traditional mp3 or m4a formats people are used to. If you have trouble playing these I recommend using VLC (Windows, iOS, MacOS, Linux) or if you prefer something a bit more high-end ;) Aimp (Windows and Android) and Vox (MacOS and iOS) will do the trick.
katyafan
Silver Member

Post by katyafan »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:50 pm">4 years ago</span> The full album can be bought and downloaded as digital files from some Japanese sites.
Thank you so much!! I usually wait for the physical CD (I will still buy it, of course!), but I really needed the songs. I was having a horrible day yesterday, on top of a very rough year, and your post has really helped me (along with the actual songs!).

Thank you so much for the news and instructions. Cheers!

Diane