no
No votes
somewhere else
11%

Total votes: 9

Sjh

Re: Christmas Concert

Post by Sjh »

Having attended all the above mentioned concerts apart for the concerts wear I was able to get front or first few rows, the view has been poor to say the least as you only need a tall person in front to remove 6\70% of the view anyway. We have to accept that to always be the case we are in a building that was not designed to allow good views but more to keep us on our knees for half the visit the rest looking at the pulpit while being lectured on our sinful ways.

The only concert I remember having good uninterrupted views was in a concert hall a place designed to view and enjoy the performance on the stage. The sound I feel was as not as well suited to the boys voices as a large church or cathedral, but like all things in life a compromise and while you can get the odd moment from the boys my mind seems to drift away from the view to the sound and it just becomes a blur of faces and white robes for the most part.

If I had a favourite venue it would be Ely followed by Westminster.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Here some facts, to have a base on which to speculate.

Christmas concerts in UK started in 2010 and have been performed non-stop since then, so there will most likely be a UK Christmas concert this year 2019 once again.

To simplify the facts, among the 4 concerts of the 2010 'Cathedral' tour, I consider only the St George concert .
Also, I consider 2017 as being performed in St George, even though it was at Westminster Cath, because the concert was indeed scheduled at St George.

- On 9 concerts, 7 were performed in St George.
- Of 9 concerts, 6 took place on a Friday, 1 on a Thursday (2013) and 2 on a Saturday (2014, 2018)
- The 4 oldest concerts took place in November, the last 5 in December.
- The concerts dates range from 16/11 to 20/12, which is an amplitude of 5 weeks.
- 5 concerts took place on the last week of November, beginning of December, which shows a tendency
- The concerts were announced in average 70 days ahead. Remove the two extremes, short (16 days) and large (154 days), and the average for the announce is 66 days ahead the concert.

With all this, by applying a global average on every criteria, my prediction is :
- Concert at St George Cathedral Southwark RC, London, on Friday November 29th, and it will be announced on Friday September 24th.

Of course, at least one thing here will be for sure totally wrong, and I hope it will be the venue.
(why not to go back to the large and very clear Guildford Cathedral ?)

What are your predictions ?
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

I would not be good at predictions :lol: But I have never been to Guildford and I would enjoy this majestic cathedral !
Also, I would prefer a saturday :( As I am not sure to be able to attend a concert a friday night...
Thank you for the stats, great work !
ste1701fan

XMAS 2019

Post by ste1701fan »

... Im waiting and waiting while my december agenda is filling up fast.
Any rumors to be heard yet? I was kinda hoping for a on-time announcement.
Considering the new xmas CD will be out im certain there will be a concert.... The question is when and where and if the weather will be slightly better then in Brighton :D

My bet:
December 7th back to St. George
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:15 am">4 years ago</span> With all this, by applying a global average on every criteria, my prediction is :
- Concert at St George Cathedral Southwark RC, London, on Friday November 29th, and it will be announced on Friday September 24th.
ste1701fan wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:12 pm">4 years ago</span> Considering the new xmas CD will be out im certain there will be a concert.... The question is when and where [...]

My bet:
December 7th back to St. George

No announcement of the international CD version and so no concert announcement either? :o No ... no; like you I think there must be a concert, like all the last years and especially when they have a Christmas album to sell. I also think that such a sale should not take place too late before Christmas. So the last November / first December weekend seem the most likely.

ste1701fan wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:12 pm">4 years ago</span> The question is when and where and if the weather will be slightly better then in Brighton :D
Well, as Arundel offered us the opposite of the Brighton weather, I don't dare to say which weather's turn it is now ... :shock: :lol:
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"