Christmas Carols on ITV 2018

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

maartendas
Diamond Member

Christmas Carols on ITV 2018

Post by maartendas »

Via Facebook:

A quick reminder that some our younger members of Libera are on ITV tonight at 11.45pm! Don't miss it!

In the accompanying photo I think I spot Ben W, Alexandre, Daniel, Victor, Mattias, Koji, Laurence and Johnny.

Hoping this will be recorded for future reference :wink:
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Re: Christmas Carols on ITV 2018

Post by fan_de_LoK »

They sung 'Once in Royal David's city', with firsts lines in solo by Victor :)

(It was really easy to find a free internet stream on internet, to see it live from abroad 8) )
Screenshot_20181225-005129_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20181225-005129_Samsung Internet.jpg (450.87 KiB) Viewed 8350 times
Screenshot_20181225-005129_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20181225-005129_Samsung Internet.jpg (450.87 KiB) Viewed 8350 times
Screenshot_20181225-005202_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20181225-005202_Samsung Internet.jpg (596.41 KiB) Viewed 8350 times
Screenshot_20181225-005202_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20181225-005202_Samsung Internet.jpg (596.41 KiB) Viewed 8350 times
Screenshot_20181225-005142_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20181225-005142_Samsung Internet.jpg (570.34 KiB) Viewed 8350 times
Screenshot_20181225-005142_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20181225-005142_Samsung Internet.jpg (570.34 KiB) Viewed 8350 times
Screenshot_20181225-005136_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20181225-005136_Samsung Internet.jpg (591.77 KiB) Viewed 8350 times
Screenshot_20181225-005136_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20181225-005136_Samsung Internet.jpg (591.77 KiB) Viewed 8350 times
Screenshot_20181225-005236_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20181225-005236_Samsung Internet.jpg (683.39 KiB) Viewed 8350 times
Screenshot_20181225-005236_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20181225-005236_Samsung Internet.jpg (683.39 KiB) Viewed 8350 times
james010101

Post by james010101 »

Someone has gone to the trouble of recording it :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsIwPmUssio&t=6s
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Thanks for the video!
Would it be safe to assume that this version of Once in Royal David's City will be on the next Christmas album?
It was precious to hear Victor, Daniel and Mattias singing together. Wonder who is doing the high notes. My guess is it could be Leo though he is not in the video - but then again I think we hear more boys in the recording than these eight who are in the video...

"...when, like stars, his children, crowned,
all in white shall wait around."

So special to hear these words sung by Libera :D
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
justin

Post by justin »

maartendas wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:55 am">5 years ago</span> Thanks for the video!
Would it be safe to assume that this version of Once in Royal David's City will be on the next Christmas album?
It was precious to hear Victor, Daniel and Mattias singing together. Wonder who is doing the high notes. My guess is it could be Leo though he is not in the video - but then again I think we hear more boys in the recording than these eight who are in the video...
After watching the video multiple times, and purely judging visually (mouth movements), could it be Ben W?
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

justin wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:02 am">5 years ago</span>
maartendas wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:55 am">5 years ago</span> Thanks for the video!
After watching the video multiple times, and purely judging visually (mouth movements), could it be Ben W?
There is clearly no dedicated descant as such that I can see, but several times you hear a few voices go a bit higher. Judging from this I believe that several of them are doing something Libera often does: several boys are singing a high note on a particular syllable or set of syllables in the lyrics and then continuing on in unison with the rest. Below is a demonstration of where this happens most distinctly on this song (I had to use a monospaced font so that the overlap would be more visible).

Main lyrics: Where like stars his children crowned
High Noters: Where like sta-ahhhh children crowned

Main lyrics: All in white shall wait around
High Noters: All in whi-ahh-all wait around

I believe that it is Daniel doing the slightly higher parts that are distinctly audible a few times when they seem to be coming from a single boy. Having said that I am certain that it is multiple boys we hear; with those holding the "ahhh" that I noticed being Ben, Daniel, and Laurence. I also think possibly Victor as well, but I am less certain.

Of course that is just my observation and I lack the formal training or musical experience to be certain one way or another. So if anyone hears something different please correct me.
j8000

Post by j8000 »

Well-observed Surpinto. In fact, on further watching they start this quite early on when it's just Victor and the boy to his left singing, on "mother" and "manger". Next when there's three of them, the boy on the right sings "Mary was that" differently from the other two. So it is a song of two parts ("SS") as I don't think I could hear any third part in there.

I really like this arrangement, and it made a lovely change from the typical solo followed by full choir in unison popularised by King's.

By the way it is now on the Official Channel:
gingerthedog1

Post by gingerthedog1 »

I believe that as soon as the three boys start singing together they are in two part harmony (Daniel and Victor on top and Matthias on bottom).

But on the words "mother mild" Daniel changes to his own middle line so that a three part harmony occurs.

The three part harmony continues until the words "a little" where it merges back to two part harmony. I believe Daniel joins with Victor on the melody line and Matthias keeps singing the lower part.

I noticed Ben W singing the high part for sure but don't know about the other boys mentioned. I do think it's likely that Daniel sings the high part based on an earlier interview where he mentions he has sings with Leo on the vocalizes.
gingerthedog1

Post by gingerthedog1 »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:56 pm">5 years ago</span>
justin wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:02 am">5 years ago</span>
There is clearly no dedicated descant as such that I can see, but several times you hear a few voices go a bit higher. Judging from this I believe that several of them are doing something Libera often does: several boys are singing a high note on a particular syllable or set of syllables in the lyrics and then continuing on in unison with the rest. Below is a demonstration of where this happens most distinctly on this song (I had to use a monospaced font so that the overlap would be more visible).

Main lyrics: Where like stars his children crowned
High Noters: Where like sta-ahhhh children crowned

Main lyrics: All in white shall wait around
High Noters: All in whi-ahh-all wait around

I believe that it is Daniel doing the slightly higher parts that are distinctly audible a few times when they seem to be coming from a single boy. Having said that I am certain that it is multiple boys we hear; with those holding the "ahhh" that I noticed being Ben, Daniel, and Laurence. I also think possibly Victor as well, but I am less certain.

Of course that is just my observation and I lack the formal training or musical experience to be certain one way or another. So if anyone hears something different please correct me.
And a fun fact for those who were wondering; the reason consonants are left out is because they cause the pitch to waver as diphthongs change the flow of air and the shape of the mouth. This is very obvious when singing high notes as they are more audible. Also, high notes are easier to sing on a pure a vowel.

It's therefore more accurate in pitch as well as easier to sing if the highest singers drop their consonants.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

gingerthedog1 wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:22 pm">5 years ago</span>
And a fun fact for those who were wondering; the reason consonants are left out is because they cause the pitch to waver as diphthongs change the flow of air and the shape of the mouth. This is very obvious when singing high notes as they are more audible. Also, high notes are easier to sing on a pure a vowel.

It's therefore more accurate in pitch as well as easier to sing if the highest singers drop their consonants.
That makes sense. I never gave that much thought, but thinking about it now it is totally logical. Learning something new everyday! Thanks. :D