Christmas concert 2018 in Brighton - December 15th

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

bachmahlerfan

Re: Christmas concert 2018 in Brighton - December 15th

Post by bachmahlerfan »

john45 wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:29 pm">5 years ago</span> What a weekend.

From the profane - Julien Clary’s “tsunami of smut” (Snow White at the Palladium on Friday) to the sacred – a beautiful “Nine Lessons and Carols" service at St Philip’s on Sunday. In between, a magnificent Libera Concert in Brighton on Saturday.

I’ll leave the details of the concert to others but for future jogging of my failing memory I will record here favourite moments of the additions and variations in the repertoire.

Oliver WR opening “Do you hear what I hear”. I am told this was sung last year but I don’t remember it being so good. Lovely arrangement.

Joseph’s speech introducing “In the Bleak Mid-Winter” in which he managed to get in an ad-lib (I think) about the weather. Very nice performance by Dominik.

This was Ben B's first solo performance of "Ave Maria" and it was wonderful. His voice has developed beautifully with such richness and clarity and he is able to reach those elusive high notes with confidence and ease.

Tadhg singing “The Wexford Carol” had been on everyone’s wish list and he did not disappoint. Beautiful voice for a beautiful song.

Very nice “How Great Thou Art” by Oliver WR. He has a versatile voice. Rich and full of expression in this hymn and lighter for “For the Future”.

The best performance of the night for me was “I Saw Three Ships”. Amazing arrangement by Sam Coates. Very lively and very complex but obviously enjoyed immensely by the performers as well as the audience.

Gaudete has been sung many times before, but not with an introduction by Samuel-Francis. Just perfect.

I have no idea what Jack really said in what sounded like perfect Russian (Where were you George?) but have a suspicion something was lost in Johnnie’s translation.

Finally, Silent Night, another bonus a capella masterpiece from the magnificent six: Merlin, Ben B, Mathias, Victor, Rocco and Leo.

It does not seem possible, but it really does just get better and better.

Thanks Libera.
Thanks for the "capsule" review. I've got to find a way to attend one of their concerts in the near future. I'm really interested to hear Tadhg's singing voice compared to his speaking voice. I would expect that his voice would sound quite different than Isaac's voice on "Wexford Carol." It's good to know that Oliver WR has the ability to adjust his voice according to the musical style. Hearing about another great arrangement by Sam Coates makes me think ahead to whenever Robert Prizeman has to retire. It's possible that we could have a director/arranger duo that leads Libera when the time comes. I'm a little sad to see Daniel White absent from this concert. I hope it's just a temporary absence and not permanent.
Libera Snow

Post by Libera Snow »

Thank you very much for your review.
I wish I would listen to “In the bleak midwinter”. I wonder how Dominik expressed this beautiful song....
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thank you for your highlights, John45! Much appreciated. :D I regret even more now (as though that were possible) that I was unable to attend this concert.
justin

Post by justin »

Tadgh has a beautiful voice. I think he has a bit of a natural vibrato when he sings... it’s not very apparent though. Dominik is remarkably confident when delivering his solos, and you can tell from his expressions that he enjoys singing a lot! He takes after Daniel W in the sense that his voice doesn’t quite match his face - his vocal abilities are quite matured for his age. 😄
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

My review - be warned: it's LONG!

Do you hear what I hear? What a fitting title. Every Libera fan takes something different from their music. It’s what makes the reviews and responses so entertaining. For me, the music of Libera has always been part of a journey of faith and a kind of prayer in the form of music. Also in some cases the songs have gotten a personal meaning.
This was the first time that I heard Libera sing Christmas songs live in concert. The Christmas season is my favourite season in the liturgical year. So to hear Christmas music by the best choir I know, in fact the best musical group I know, was just the best. I never wanted to listen to Christmas music before Christmas (I mean in Advent) but I have gotten over that now. Libera does that to you – it takes you across boundaries!

The night in Brighton went by so fast, as all Libera concerts do. Well, apart from the fact that I had spent half of the afternoon already in church and was huddled with other fans at the entrance to catch some sights and sounds of the rehearsal. The rehearsal included many songs and ended not long before the concert and as a result the concert started a little later than announced. As the boys entered the church to get to their ‘backstage area’ via the left hand side, one fan on the far left of the seats managed to get in a high five with one of the boys :)

The start of the concert was a very slow build-up with the first notes of Do you hear what I hear? Sung by Oliver WR and a supporting solo by Camden – a treat for my ears, which made my heart jump a little, to hear his shiny, floating voice again. The song grew in richness and intensity and the harmonies in the melody were just heart-melting. Very Christmassy :)

Sanctus next and the choir sounded so smooth, I think it was the acoustics which worked really well. The whole building fit very well, also the mosaics on the wall, which glittered wonderfully in the stage lights.

In the bleak midwinter is one of my favourite Christmas songs and the highlight was Dominik’s solo – the last verse is dear to me and he sang it with such conviction. An absolute treat, which made tears well up for me.

Another highlight followed right after: Stay with me – which has been a staple song all year, with Oliver M just getting better and better each time. This was (again) his best performance yet, singing with confidence, power and ease.

I think Oliver shows a similar development to Ben, who sang Robert’s Ave Maria. I was thrilled to see him take the spot for that solo and felt really proud of him. Ever since Eternal light in Ely I have heard him grow in terms of the richness of his voice. I told him in Garden Grove that I think he has a wonderful instrument and he demonstrated that fully with this solo. A gorgeous, rich and colourful voice. A great achievement for him to sing this solo. As for the rest of the song, the subdued middle part moved me in particular. It truly felt like a prayer again to me.

Wexford carol followed, which felt quite special as some people were really hoping for this one with Tadhg as soloist. He did really well and I think I could hear in his performance that he also felt the weight of the moment. To me it is not so well-known so my memory of it is vague, but I do remember how atmospheric and elegant it sounded.

In Paradisum was on my wish list as this also has been a theme song of 2018 for me. It has been a major part of this Libera year for me and it has moved me each time I heard it, both live and on the recording. So this performance kind of captured all those memories for me and I loved hearing it again. This time I felt that the choir as a whole sounded particularly powerful, almost taking over Rocco’s solo, but in a good way. The lighting at the word ‘Jerusalem’ was beautiful, lighting up the large altar piece with Christ as King surrounded by angels.

Smile was a big contrast after this. Victor’s voice has matured, I think, and Alex’s part used to sound more like a support role to my ears, but tonight it felt more like a duet.

How Great Thou Art is one of the songs which is both a prayer and a song that has a special personal meaning to me, so to hear it again was a great gift. Oliver has such a perfect voice for this, like others have mentioned before, a very round, versatile voice which can also easily reach the high notes when needed. This was probably my favourite performance so far of this song. It really lifted me up and when the song sings about God’s majesty in nature I could also picture the mighty waves at the coast earlier that day :) The most moving moment was the a capella verse starting with “when Christ shall come”. It felt like a very spiritual moment, in the surroundings of the church, with the boys in their white robes…

Voca Me followed – we had barely time to take it all in and recover from the previous thrilling moments! This song is in a league of its own and always feels special in a concert. The blue lighting works really well to set the atmosphere. Leo’s high notes were great again – he missed one, but actually that added to the drama of the song and after all, this is a live performance. We expect small mistakes or accidents to happen and in fact, they are so rare at a Libera concert! And even when they do occur, the performance is hardly interrupted. So again, the climax of Voca Me was breathtaking, and I was thankful for the large space of the church to take in all that energy!

I saw three ships ended the first half with a thrilling, vivid, dancing arrangement. Libera never fails to surprise us and how lucky we are that Sam Coates is able to provide such wonderful arrangements. A modern, fresh and fun take on this festive carol.

Luckily the interval gave me some time to catch my breath after all these impressions, and catch up with other fans.

When the second half started, we were again in anticipation and the song, Carol of the Bells, started mysteriously and slowly. Then the first line was sung: Hark how the bells… and the tension and excitement grew. Gradually the song built up to its dazzling chorus with its switching and complex dynamics.

From a distance brought us back a notch in tempo and mood. Merlin sang this one so freely and secure and his voice matched his expression. He really made this song his own, I think. Also this is a song where there is a perfect balance between soloist and choir – both have the opportunity to show their wonderful sound.

Wayfaring stranger made me excited to hear Victor again and I absolutely love the simple but meaningful choreography and the lighting. The way it starts, with Victor in the middle, in the back, with a single light from above shining on him, and the boys in an angle on either side of him, for me pictures the life journey that this song is about. A pilgrim on his way home – and his friends and brothers guiding him along. With that imagery in mind, I loved how the back row filled up for the last verse. It looked like all the supportive people in the pilgrim’s life were gathering for the confident, rousing finale. At this part of the song I tend to search out one or two faces which express the sentiment of that last verse, usually Tadgh or Dominik will have a beaming face that makes me completely believe what they are singing :)
On a side note, no matter how much I enjoy Victor as a soloist in this, I also always feel a bit bittersweet that Alex G no longer sings this. For me, this song will always be connected to the performance in Los Angeles and oh, how fleeting are those moments. Which makes it all the more special to have songs like Stay with me (what a fitting title in this respect) and others, with their ‘regular’ soloists.

Gaudete was a treat as this is one of my favourite older Libera songs and it was very nice to hear Samuel start this one off. I also enjoyed the percussion in this one. There were quite some rhythmic, dancing Christmas songs in this concert!

After all of this, could there still be more highlights? Well…. yes!
Dominik on I Am the Day – what a pleasure to hear him sing and perform this one. As others have also mentioned, he sings not just the notes but he carries the song forward. I was truly moved by this performance, in a way that felt new and thrilling. Full of joy and mystery and devotion. This is one of the most special Libera compositions (and I regret not following Camden’s suggestion on the steps of St. Philip’s after the lessons and carols on Sunday, to sing a bit of it when I asked some of the boys to sing a few bars together… hopefully a next time!).

More joy followed with...Joyful joyful :) My attention was drawn to the lyrics more than usual. I love the lines: “drive the dark of doubt away, fill us with the light of day”. The closing chord really felt like the church was filled with the light of day.

Hmm, but soon after it went to night, because they served us something very special: an almost a capella rendition of my number one favourite Christmas carol, Silent night. What could be more precious on a night like this? Well, when Mattias entered, after Merlin and Ben – it felt like the light of the Nativity shone through. The stable was lit up with the light of Christmas. Like a room can light up when the sun just starts to appear from behind the clouds. Mattias’ voice did the same for me. So to me, of all the highlights of this evening, Mattias’ voice was the most precious and special.

One more song to go according to the program: Libera. I felt a bit sad and shocked that the night was coming to a close, even though I was laden with treasures. I think the boys gave a solid performance of their theme song.

A standing ovation followed, which made some of the boys smile broad smiles.

As hoped, there was an encore, which was also on my wish list: In dulci jubilo! It filled the church with swirling sounds and colours, like angels flying around. Such a happy, cheerful ending.
Robert joined the boys on stage for the applause and as he faced the audience there were cheers from the crowd. Victor made sure the musicians were thanked and then the boys started waving goodbye and leaving the stage. Another concert over.

There is always some time right after a concert ends to chat with fans and maybe exchange a few words with some of the boys or others involved in Libera. A time to linger and not yet let go completely. Until finally, we do. As I left the church, it had stopped raining and I could see a beautiful moon, almost half full. Almost dreamlike, as Christmas can feel like it’s almost too beautiful to be real. But this was indeed all real, as real as the rain and the wind during the afternoon. So, luckily, this means all the memories are real as well.

Hopefully there will be another time to see them. I never know when that will be, as it is not always possible for me to travel. This year has been a huge exception for me and I am very grateful for that. For me, this exceptional Libera year came to a close with a Christmas concert – and Christmas is all about new beginnings, just as the moon is now waxing. How did they phrase it again? Ah yes: For the future!
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

This time, I won't write about each song and I can't revise the review intensely either due to a lack of time. However, I'll point out my highlights and what seemed important to me to mention or to give an impression of my own impressions about the evening.

There were 18 songs listed in the programme plus Silent Night plus In Dulci Jubilo as the encore. 8 of these 20 songs were Christmas songs, which will certainly be sung in Moscow as well.

Libera opened the concert with Do You Hear What I Hear, a very charming song with shining echoes by the solo voices; a very logical arrangement by Robert.

To my own surprise, one of my favourite songs of the concert was In the Bleak Midwinter. Before, I had found it nice, but nothing special. But what admirable arrangement Robert made out of it! The song started very "reduced", just with an instrumental bourdon accompaniment to the singing, perfectly realising the lyrics about a frozen (petrified) earth. Then step by step the harmonies were building up throughout the song, extending in diversity and increasing in colour, and from the more mystic beginning the song developed to the harmonies of nowadays we know. I felt like going from darkness and loneliness to hopeful light and consolation. It also linked the ancient through time to the modern and thus conveyed something universal. It was very impressive, just elevating.

Sam did the vocalises on Stay With Me and started a bit roughly. So it was all the more masterful how he improved from one time to the next and ended up with delivering it perfectly. I really enjoyed witnessing that. Sam, that was well-done!

This also demonstrates that no boy should worry about things that might go wrong here and there. I'd like to particularly say that to Victor, because I deeply sympathised with him when he had a very short lyrics black-out at the beginning of Smile, as he visibly suffered from that. He seemed so upset that I felt like telling him: 'It's all fine, everyone in this room knows exactly that you can do it fabulously; just do not let this stupid bad luck bother you, please.' He did continue fine, but obviously carried this tiny mishap as a burden throughout the song, although there was absolutely no reason for that, as I want to emphasise: He was good! :) But so the song converted into the most serious Smile I've ever seen from him.
So I was very happy for him to have a second solo song, Wayfaring Stranger. He had gained back all confidence we know from him by then and he sang the song beautifully and flawlessly.

Wexford Carol had been my wish list song number one and when I heard its intro from behind the glass, where we followed Libera's rehearsal, comfortably crowding on small space :mrgreen: and sheltering from the pouring rain at the same time, my first thought was: "You confuse it. Your wishful thinking deceives you." But it did not. :D And can anything better happen to you than safely anticipating the concert song you were yearning for most?! This song in the Libera arrangement is synonymous with atmosphere. No more words needed. Tadhg sang an excellent solo with a wonderful voice.

My soloist of the evening was Oliver WR. I heard him with How Great Thou Art for the first time and was entirely enchanted. I like his voice very much, it has a very beautiful sound, is clear and round, and Oliver was perfectly hitting the notes. He sang in a plain, self-evident way, completely calm, which also had a calming effect on me. Thank you, Oliver, you really reached me with your singing. The whole song was as perfectly sung as usual.
What a luxury to be able to call perfect performances the norm. This is Libera. :) :D

The second soloist who stood out for me was Dominik. I had been very curious about him before and now I can only say that I find him brilliant! He confirms my earlier impression of him to be a musically particularly talented boy. He visibly loves singing and I think he understands the music Libera sings indeed. He obviously has an excellent feeling for the music and where others may need a sign by Robert, he does not, as he knows exactly where and how to sing. Over the whole evening he was fully on spot. It is a thorough joy to watch him: He goes with the music, but never makes a show out if, just acts like the music requires it, nothing more and nothing less. This is what I saw. What I heard was a very pleasant voice and a secure way of singing! I'm really very convinced of him.
Dominik seems extremely serious about music, and I could very well imagine him as a music professional ... yes, yes, later. :lol:

Voca Me was particularly strong this time. Towards the end, when the tension is steeply going up, the choir sound became close to exploding. Goosebumps - what else!

I Saw Three Ships had been unknown to me and what a fantastic full choir sound Libera presented here! It was just so uplifting in its vivid rhythmics and with this very committed choir, I don't think that anyone in the audience was not moved - well yes, also in the literal meaning - by this song. Libera appeared very united, which may also have been a result of the compact formation. Terrific arrangement once more by Sam Coates and an infected audience. Wow!

Unfortunately, the sweeping effect of this song was missing in Carol of the Bells. This was my only disappointment of the concert, as at home it never gets away with being played only once, there's always at least one repetition of it. And after hearing it in an enthralling way in two other Libera concerts, this time, as we say it in German, "the spark did not jump over". Technically, the singing was excellent, but this usually so energising song somehow was subdued. Perhaps it was the lack of space on stage, which deprived the boys of the possibility to move as they are used to move, which resulted in this effect on the singing. I don't know. I only know that the song did not manage to get me involved this time.
Neither I felt happy about the percussion in parts of the song. There were too many different kinds of sounds used within too short time, which probably was meant to provide this song with diversity, but to me rather brought in a nervous touch, because the song itself is - positively meant - "busy" enough.
Cassius did cuddly, fine solo calls at the end, all good with that. :)

The third soloist who impressed me most - almost to tears - was well-known to all of us, but that night I think he exceeded himself with his performance of From a Distance. Merlin's voice sounded marvelous, clear and strong, but gentle at the same time, adequately conveying the very human message of the lyrics. It is generally not my favourite song, but here it really captured me.

I was very happy to hear Sam with an own text solo, Gaudete. I found he showed some nerves, but his voice shone so brightly and he hit the high notes so flawlessly that I have no doubts about him. I'm very much looking forward to his further development and to hearing him again.

While I loved In the Bleak Midwinter for its own sake, I was absolutely stunned by Dominik's solo in I am the Day. He not only sang it, he lived it. The whole Dominik was an embodiment of the mysterious whispers. With all his modesty, he clearly possesses stage presence!
And thanks to the soloists as well as to the choir, the song became an undisputed highlight of the concert for me!

The very moving Silent Night was the same in terms of soloists and construction as Nearer My God to Thee. Reducing the arrangement to a minimum once again worked and actually matched the still happiness and entire peace expressed in the lyrics and the melody just perfectly.

Libera was strong in tone and a joy to listen to.

Salva Me.
Oops.
No Salva Me.
How is that possible?
Unbelievable, weird, impossible, that is. :shock: :lol: A concert without the song I consider as the typical Libera song is incomplete. I find that this must be changed back, as no other song could ever replace Salva Me, the real Salva Me! :wink:

I'm fully reconciled and my pain about not having been able to attend Libera's concert this past October has vanished after this concert with such a long row of deep voices. Now how wonderful that was! They played an important role in this concert, decisively contributing to the songs in terms of harmonies and atmosphere. Future repetitions would be much appreciated. :D

About the speeches: Joseph definitely has speaking qualities. It is a pleasure to listen to him. Also, I simply love the way Moose is introduced, with a lot of enthusiasm: "This is Moose! The real Moose!". So funny. I also had fun with Alexandre who, instead of just pointing at Victor who was modeling for the presentation of the robe, smashed his full arm in Victor's direction with such drive that I feared for a split second he'd actually hit him. :lol: And Koji makes me laugh as well. His speech just comes sputtering out of him, and he is having fun with it as well.

Regarding the orchestra, who played with much sensitivity, I'd first like to highlight a satisfied smile on the face of one of the violinists during the concert. He must have greatly enjoyed the music and this was so nice to watch. And second: I loved the French horn. I always like this instrument, but this time I heard it very distinctly and it added so much character to the wonderful harmonies

I liked the venue, St. Bartholomew's. It has a mystic atmosphere and at the same time something comfortable. Hard to describe, but, apart from the slimmest chairs you can imagine - do they think that a children's choir also has a child audience? :P - and an unpleasant lack of heating, it was a good venue for a Libera concert. The lighting worked in a very splendid way as well.
The sound was magnificent. Was it the big size of the choir? The high number of men's voices? The venue's acoustics? Probably all of it.

To sum it up, this has been another high quality concert with a very present choir. A huge enjoyment for me, and this time with less sadness afterwards, as I'm lucky enough to travel to the Moscow concert next week. Many thanks to Libera and all others who made this a beautiful, successful concert! You have recharged my batteries in a currently extremely stressful time.
It is so justified to do these concert trips. We invest in them, but how much more do we get in return! :)

I would also like to express a heartfelt Thank You as well to other Libera fans who proved to be exceptionally thoughtful. It makes me feel warm inside.

This was a great musical weekend.
Last edited by filiarheni on Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Thank you all for your reviews ! Filiarheni, it's quite an extensive one, for someone who didn't want to do it "intensively" :lol:
Did some of you went to the sunday's event in St Philip ? I'd much appreciate to know what they sang, who did solos... What were your impressions ?

Here comes my contribution, less complete that the french one I expect, as translating is a challenge.

First : the weather was AWFUL, I seriously was annoyed until I got to the church and got amazed with all the goodies, the beauty of the venue and the lights... I must have been the coldest I ever felt during a Libera concert, due to being wet ! I expect the weather did not help for the attendance. Probably less people came than expected...

The venue I liked very much. The church, I know some found bleak, fitted the Christmas atmosphere and the amazing lights on the walls and mosaics. Plus, it was narrow and short, which means we were really close to the boys - I never saw them so well, and all of them. It was friendly and sweet to feel so close all together, although as Filiarheni mentionned the seats were narrow too ! I had the opportunity to chat with my neighboors about it :lol: Really nice people, as usual (hi Gordon and John, if you read me, it's Sibylle !). The only sad thing was, the stage being really small for those 43 boys, there were almost no choregraphy, although the boys changed place a lot. I particularly missed it on Carol of the Bells.

As mentionned before, some of us were lucky enough to see the rehearsal, although it wasn't really convenient to be stashed, standing all together and cold. I really don't even know if the staff was aware we were here, as the windows might have be blinded by reflections... Maybe they never realised until the end ! But, we weren't forced to be under the rain... maybe it was on purpose, so that at least the boys wouldn't be distracted.

43 boys ! Amazing ! And they sounded just perfect. How better can Libera ever get ??? :o Some were missing like Daniel, but I fear not that he left, it probably was just for that concert. Also I would have liked to see Isaac and Alessandro, especially sinced I hoped for a Lamentione. 5 mini-boys were here, much more visible than they were in october. I enjoyed seeing them. They did not sing everything but what they did sang they did confidently. And 7 big boys, among them Adam whose voice changed.

As the concert beginned, Camden and Oliver WR stood in the center of the stage, and Benedict and Samuel-Francis on both far sides.

Do you hear what I hear
The arrangement was the same it was last Christmas. Oliver sang the most. Camden supporting him with his low soft voice. Samuel did the callings "do you hear what I hear". And then the choir came. When they started singing, Benedict and Leo did some callings too.
Really like that song. I hope they will someday record it. It's perfect for an opening.

Sanctus
Usual disposition, half a circle. Leo did the high notes.

Speech : Peter and Joseph welcomed us. I don't know if Joseph will ever be a soloist, but as a speaking-boy he is quite impressive, very confident, a lot of charisma.

In the Bleak Midwinter
A good surprise ! I do not recall Libera ever singing it (apart from a contribution with Susan Boyle in Song of Praise), but some said it was recorded on the third Angel Voices album. Dominik did the last verse. Beautiful, really humble. I trust Dominik is to be a great great soloist in Libera's history.

The Susan Boyle's Song of Praise below :

Stay with me
Unlike some of you, I didn't like that song that much. I agree Oliver M is getting better. But, although I like his voice a lot, I'm not sure this song matches it. Also Sam-Francis was good but missed some notes - but I have to say is voice is the purest. I never liked that song when heared live, but I like the Leyden's video. Not sure what's going on with that song. Especially as I really like it when recorded.

Ave Maria (Prizeman)
One of my favorite surprises : Ben Bywater taking this solo over ! Very confident, calm, everything comes smooth... It sounds like the song is an easy one, and it is not ! Well done, Ben.

Speech : Alexandre and Victor did the hoodie's speech, having a lot of fun. They said the next song would be an Irish Christmas traditionnal, with Tadhg doing the solo as "he is irish too".

Wexford Carol
Tadhg seemed nervous and so the first words were shaking, which was mooving. But he also has a nice vibrato which fitted the song. A very nice interpretation, I must say is the more impressive as Isaac did really well before, and it must have been a challenge to come after him. Kudos !

In Paradisum
Here, come and hit me :lol: I know I will make some of you mad. I ordinarily enjoy Rocco's solos a lot, and he definitely did impressed me many times during the concert. And I certainly like the song on the Beyond's album. But, I do not get moved when I hear it live. I find that the choir and the soloist's voices do not blend together. I might be having an allergy just like some have an allergy with Exsultate ? Sorry. Can't explain it. And it is even more strange as I have to admit it was good, only I didn't liked it. By the way, Rocco had several cough during the evening - probably the weather got him a bit sick - which adds to his great performance. His voice is unique.

Smile
Victor might be my new favorite :D Can't get enough of his voice and seeing him smiling, singing confidently... Beautiful song, with Alex M. I agree with some of you saying it sounded really like a duet. Does someone know why we do not get to see Romeo and his recorder ? I like it.
Anyway, that song I did not enjoyed that much when first hearing the album, is a very special moment everytime I hear it live.
I agree that Victor mixed up the lyrics at some point, but I do not think he was troubled with it. On the contrary I think he smiled even more and put all his heart in it. It was really touching and professionnal.

How Great Thou Art
As usual, Oliver WR did a great job on this one. He is an other boy I enjoy the voice. Simply : fooproof. Never heard him miss a note, miss breath... He is really calm and has the ability to match his voice with the song and atmosphere. That's even more impressive he seems quite a well-behaved boy and a bit shy (although I spotted him breakdancing during the rehearsal :lol: :lol: :lol: ).

Speech from Cassius and Koji, the youngest I think from the main group, with Nick. They announced the entracte.

Voca Me
Leo did the high notes. The last one was difficult, but otherwise I found it perfect and really moving, absolutely amazing, as good as Thomas DL used to be, if not better as I personnaly prefer Leo's voice's depth. Although, I liked the other arrangement the better.

I Saw Three Ships
It was the highlight for a lot of us I think. My neighbour told me he thought I was gonna pop of my seat :lol: It appears to be a traditionnal Christmas carol, I did not know yet. Here, for those who weren't here, the King's College :

And this arrangement I find is closest to Sam Coates' one, except it's grown-up voices, and slower than Libera's.

There is like 10 lines, and then it is all about the arrangement. It was extraordinarily dynamic, a lot of voices mixed together. I hope it will be sang again, and recorded if possible. The boys seemed to enjoy it too.

ENTRACTE

Carol of the Bells
As beautiful as usual. Although I missed the choregraphy. Samuel-Francis and Ben Bywater did the two "aaahaa" perfectly, and Cassius sang the last notes. Long live to Cassius' last notes :lol: His voice is very childish still.

Speech from Tadhg and Romeo, introducing Moose. Some "cousins" were among the goodies. I got mine ! :D

From a Distance
Pure magic, thanks to Merlin. He mastered that piece per-fect-ly. Just what can I add ? Thank you Merlin.

Wayfaring Stranger
Another opportunity to hear Victor :D Very simple, humble. It was one of the rare songs there was a choregraphy for. Usual one, powerful.

Gaudete
Samuel-Francis did the first sentences. Very beautiful, as he has the pure voice that fits it. Funny, it was one of the songs I wished I would hear, with the exact soloist I hoped ! Granted !

I am the day
Dominik, Peter and Oliver M. And also a Leo's special additionnal line on the chorus. I think they really mastered that song all together, it is perfect, even more than the choir was in Leyden back in the old times. I wish they would do a video of it. It is so unique and moving !
When the choir turns aside and bow their heads, Rocco was late. He made such a face :lol: Although it wasn't obvious at all and he wasn't really late. So funny. Chill, Rocco :wink:

Speech : goodbye, by Johnny and Jack. Good russian as far as I am aware :lol: But maybe he was talking about something else, I'm not a good judge !

Surprise : Silent Night, a cappella, with Merlin, Victor, Ben B, Mathias, Rocco and Leo
How beautiful their voices blended... Please, we need a video. Kudos, boys.

Joyful Joyful
Usual performance. Simple but job's done !

Libera
Tadhg and Rocco did the solo. I feel like I heard Tadhg better than in october. Also, their voices fit well together. I was curiously moved by the song. Knowing it meant the concert was almost done... knowing this was Libera's special signature, and how good they were at that precise time, 43 of them.

Encore : Dulci Jubilo
Both unsurprising and perfect for an encore. It is just a warming last Christmas' concert song. It makes you a bit less sad the concert is over.
Funny : Oliver WR started a verse too soon, and Victor elbowed him and they smiled, clearly less wary than amused by that mistake.

All in all, wonderful concert. Some said it was one of the best ever. For the ones I saw (5), it was second, after Ely, although I might enjoy Christmas' songs better. I think there were some mistakes, from boys we know can be even better (but how much better can you get, again ? when you already sound perfect !). But to me it matters more how moving they are than how flawless they are. And I must underline that there was a great number of boys, also a great number of soloists, some surprises and new songs, a consequent turnover of the setlist, very young and very "big" boys... and the place looked and sounded beautifully. It really was a unique one.

Also, they smiled so broadly during the standing ovations. Pride and delight gleamed on their faces and it was so lovely. And they should be proud.
I do not know how the boys get on place and how they get back home, if each family manages their own kids, or if there is a common group. But I was lucky enough to see some boys leave the church with their families and friends cheering them. I got the opportunity, for the first time ever, to personnaly thank some : Victor and Merlin. I didn't know how they could react, as it might be disturbing. But they just smiled and thanked me, again proudly and gratefully. Good feelings :)
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Thought I'd post the list of boys who performed the concert:

Marc Alvares
Ethan Barron
Leo Barron
Nathaniel Bates Fisher
Luke Batteson Dalpiaz
Emanuele Borrelli
Ciaran Bradbury-Hickey
Merlin Brouwer
Luca Brugnoli
Benedict Bywater
Dominik Clarke
Cassius Collard
Gabriel Collins
Samuel-Francis Collins
Joseph Cranitch
Laurence Davey
Tadhg Fitzgerald
John Gardner
Alexander Gula
Adam Izghouti
Felipe Jackson
Matthew Jansen
Peter Kielty
Matthew Madine
Alexandre Menuet
Alexander Montoro
Mathias Montoro
Frederick Mushrafi
Oliver Mycka
Neo Parson
Koji Shinokubo
Taichi Shinokubo
Jack Spicha
Camden Stewart
Laurence Taylor
Nicholas Taylor
Rocco Tesei
Romeo Tesei
Calam Virk Tamana
Oliver Watt-Rodriguez
Benjamin Wevill
Samuel Wiggin
Victor Wiggin
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

And the set list (lifted from Patrick's Twitter feed):

1. Do you hear what I hear - Oliver W-R, Camden, Ben B, Samuel-Francis
2. Sanctus - Leo high notes
3. Welcome Speech - Peter & Joe
4.In the bleak mid-winter - Dominik
5. Stay with me - Oliver M & Samuel-F on high notes
6.Ave Maria (Prizeman) - Ben B
7. Speech about robes - Alexandre & Victor
8. Wexford Carol - Tadgh
9. In Paradisum (Robbins) - Rocco & Olver W-R
10. Smile - Victor & Alex M
11. How Great Thou Art - Oliver W-R
12. Speech - Koji & Cassius about first tour and not spilling drink on robes at the interval
13. Voca Me - Leo on high notes
14. I saw three ships - new arrangement by Sam Coates
15. Carol of the bells - solos Samuel-F and Ben B, final words Cassius
16. Speech about moose - Tadhg & Romeo
17. From a distance - Merlin
18. Wayfaring stranger - Victor
19. Gaudete - Samuel-F
20. I am the day - Dominik, Peter, Oliver M
21. Joyful joyful
22. Goodbye speech - John and Jack (practicing his Russian)
23. Silent Night - Merlin, Ben B, Matthius, Victor, Rocco, Leo (started A Capela and then a harp joined in)
24. Libera - Tadgh, Rocco, final note Samuel-F
25. In Dulci Jubilo
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

john45 wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:29 pm">5 years ago</span>What a weekend.
maartendas wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:43 pm">5 years ago</span> My review - be warned: it's LONG!
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:38 am">5 years ago</span> This time, I won't write about each song...
Padmachou wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:47 pm">5 years ago</span> Thank you all for your reviews !
Thank you so much John, maartendas, filiarheni and Padmachou for your reviews. you were all so quick and so comprehensive, that there is not much space left for any new things to be written about. I think, this time I won't write a review as there is not much to add :wink:

I'd like to list my highlights of the evening:
- Do You Hear What I Hear
- In the Bleak Mid-Winter
- How Great Thou Art
- I Saw Three Ships !!!!!!
- I Am The Day
- Silent Night (not listed in programme, sung by a sextet of Merlin, Ben, Mathias, Leo, Rocco and Victor)

Yes, the concert was marvellous and even the terrible weather wasn't able to spoil any second of the evening. Again, I'm so glad having been there, having listened to Libera live and having met so many fantastic people.

I'd like to wish everybody here Merry Christmas and I hope to meet old and new friends at Libera concerts in 2019.
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:31 pm">5 years ago</span> Thought I'd post the list of boys who performed the concert:
Sadly, Daniel White was missing. Hopefully this was only an incident and we will be able to enjoy Daniel's performances with Libera in the future.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Thank you for the lists, Yorkie, I was waiting for you to post them. :)
And thank you everyone here for your reviews, I have read them now and as usual, it was very interesting and enjoyable to read. It always impresses me how thrilled we can be about one and the same concert, but how much we can differ in the details that lead us to feeling that way.

I must make an amendment to my review, as I forgot something I already intended to mention during the concert: Matthew Jansen. He just so fascinates me in his devotion to Libera. He must be filled with loving what he's doing from his head to his toes. His eyes were glowing, while he was singing with verve! How I enjoyed watching him on Saturday!
I wish I could see him again with Libera - I wish the older boys would come to Moscow, too.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

The wonderful reviews help me relive that special night, so thanks to all :)

Thought I'd mention Leo again, as I recall he also had some high notes in Do you hear what I hear? and I think he might be the boy with the most solo parts.

Though I would also like to point out that I sometimes purposely looked around at the boys who never do any solos but who provide the full choir sound, which sounded so smooth and powerful in Brighton. Boys like Laurence for instance, who always looks engaged and concentrated, every single time I sought him out. He is one of the several 'quiet forces' without whom Libera would not be what they are.

Another shout-out goes to all the parents. Their dedication, support and sacrifice of time and energy is essential to make Libera succesful. A general remark, but I was reminded of this fact again in Brighton, where several parents and siblings attended the concert.

filiarheni mentioned the French horn and I second her on that. It stood out on several occasions and I also love the instrument and thought it sounded so bright and heart-warming.

Maybe there are more details I forgot to add, but I think this is it for now :wink:
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

So, I guess the concert program made a mention about a Christmas album coming out next year. Therefore, I'm assuming the new arrangement of "I Saw Three Ships", and probably "Do You Hear What I Hear" will be on the album.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Thanks Bachmahlerfan, I missed that info about a new Christmas CD to come, now I see it :)