Libera interviews collection

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

james010101

Re: Libera interviews collection

Post by james010101 »

I look forward to the recording as well :)
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Here is the interview from "Music from the Tower". Thank you, Surpinto, for making it available!

https://soundcloud.com/surpinto/music-f ... ith-libera
or
http://christcathedralmusic.org/music-f ... -program-1
(Episode 48)

It took place on 7th August, 2018, and was broadcast on October 13.
Interviewees were Robert, Alex Gula, Leo Barron and Daniel White.

From all Libera interviews I've heard so far, this is the best. :D It's very informative as well as funny, which is also the interviewer's - John Romeri - merit who knows how to ask them good questions and is just very nice with all of them. He actually seems to enjoy their company, too. :)

This time they deal with some questions I had been wondering about all the time, most of all how a soloist is picked for a song. Daniel tells us about it from a singer's point of view, and Robert enlightens us on the criteria required and how he proceeds to find the voice that suits a song best and the boy who can deal with a soloist's exposed situation in a concert. Super-interesting!

Other topics were the overlaps and differences of Libera and the church choir, the situation of boys choirs in the UK, the different behaviour and situation of choir boys and girls, voice change, voice ranges, a comparison of the audience's responses in concerts depending on the country and more.

The interaction between the boys during the interview was also great fun. And the highlight at 20:50:
John Romeri to Daniel: "Cool to sing with Leo, right? He was a good role model?" Daniel: "Yeah, he's a very good boss for that high treble." :lol:

An interview that should not be missed! :idea:
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:05 pm">5 years ago</span> From all Libera interviews I've heard so far, this is the best. It's very informative as well as funny, which is also the interviewer's - John Romeri - merit who knows how to ask them good questions and is just very nice with all of them. He actually seems to enjoy their company, too.
Reading your post here makes me want to go listen to that interview again. And I do agree that John does know which questions to ask them. Two interviews hosted by him (US Summer Tour 2017 & 2018) give great insights and are able to answer a lot of my questions. As a person working in the same "field", he has knowledge about and possibly knows that we expect answers on and discussions about these matters. :D

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:05 pm">5 years ago</span> Other topics were the overlaps and differences of Libera and the church choir, the situation of boys choirs in the UK, the different behaviour and situation of choir boys and girls, voice change, voice ranges, a comparison of the audience's responses in concerts depending on the country and more.
I didn't realize there are so many topics until you pointed it out. :shock: Very interesting ones!
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

I searched, but haven't heard anything about Libera having given an interview in Moscow after their concert in Descember and I'm also missing an official concert review in a newspaper, but it made me bring this interview from Moscow in January 2015 here. It was taken by Soyuz TV (Alexander Kruze) and the guests were Isaac London, Cassius O'Connell-White, Ciaran Bradbury-Hickey and Moose. The interviewer seems factual, and at first I thought that he's only ticking off his catalogue of questions. But in the course of the interview time he came to some unusual questions and there was also some fun to enjoy! Moose - "a mascot or a Russian souvenir?" - was sadly not asked any direct questions. :shock:

Here it is with English subtitles available:

Moscow interview of Libera boys choir

Interviewer: "Do you have time for ordinary boys' life? Do you have any hobbies?"
Cassius: "Yeah, we do, we have life." :lol:

I like watching Ciaran, mostly serious and dreamy looking, but definitely thinking a lot in silence. :wink: And aw, how he looks, when they are asked what kind of music teenagers listen to in the UK: "Well" ... that face! ... "of course we listen to classical music a lot. Etc."

Funny, when Isaac causes some confusion about the time the boys need to learn their positions on stage and Cassius corrects it.

The chocolate story is also funny (8:00)! :lol:

Cassius: "Most likely our professions will be connected with music, because passion for music will remain with us forever." :D :D :D

And wow, Isaac plays the trombone?!

Interesting is the question about their impression of Russia.

All in all a nice interview. Plenty of questions coming across plenty of interesting topics, unfortunately without time to go deeper into them, but anyway.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

2010 - Radio interview at "Inspirational Breakfast", broadcast on 22nd December
(Thank you, Patrick, for the hint!)

Inspirational Breakfast Radio

Interviewees were Daniel Fontannaz (14) and James Mordaunt (11).

They promoted the "Peace" CD, which was actually a price to win from the radio station that day, and talked about their biggest highlights; the process of onboarding new members; singing services at their home church and elsewhere; what distinguishes Libera from other choirs; becoming famous; signature sessions.

Daniel's favourite was "Lullabye" from the Deluxe Edition, James favoured "When a Knight Won His Spurs". I always love to hear about the boys' musical tastes!

Fun:
"Now you sing like angels, so do you always act like angels?"
Um ... hesitating ... laughter ... so concretising help from the moderator: "You can tell me, I won't tell anybody: What's the worst thing Libera have ever done that the choir master knew nothing about?" (Ugh, dangerous ice! :shock: :mrgreen: )
Even more Ummmm ... hesitating ... unbelieving further question ... laughter ... silence ... and finally: "No, we're not perfect."
:lol:
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Before this year's US interview at Garden Grove will be broadcast on 7th September, let's quickly catch up with the Philippines tour, February 2019. :wink:

On 17th February, a short CNN Philippines interview with Cassius Collard, Tadhg Fitzgerald and Daniel White was published on Youtube.

Nice small interview, but the simultaneous playing of Angel was unfortunate, as it was just distracting. Not necessary to use their songs as background music in interviews.
Cassius was 9 at that time and said that he started in Libera with 6; Daniel was 10 and joined Libera 2 years earlier.

Topics were auditions and building up the singing ability before joining the main choir; what happens with the older boys; how often do they practise (not rehearse - Cassius tells us here that they practise four times a week, which means they rehearse on Mondays and Fridays and sing two masses on Sundays) and their time in the Philippines.
There was some fun at the end, when the interviewer said: "I know you guys aren't going to sing for me." Cassius, looking at his watch: "Too early." Little comedian that he is! :lol:

Here is an announcement article by Lifestyle Inquirer as of 17th February, "Libera, the alternative boy band".

And a second one by Broadwayworld.com as of 18th February: Libera: Back in the Philippines for Concert Tour, 2/19-23.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Strolling through the depths of this forum, I came across this earlier Libera time article as of 28 December, 2001, by the online magazine "The Christian Science Monitor" posted by Yorkie, so after their second album release ("Libera" 10/1999, "Luminosa" 9/2001), ever since they adapted the name Libera.

https://www.csmonitor.com/2001/1228/p18 ... 8page%29/2

I think I found this more interesting than you, Yorkie. :mrgreen: Namely how they are not told at times what a recording session is for, the criticism of their music they were exposed to (still are ...), and I always like Robert and the boys being quoted, here: Steven Geraghty and Liam O'Kane.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

While in the USA this Summer, Libera gave an interview to John Romeri, the music director of the Christ Cathedral in Garden Grove, California.

The interview was said to go on air this Saturday September 7th, but for some reasons it was not broadcast on the online stream of the hosting radio 'Relevant Radio'. Perhaps it went on air on the Los Angeles local radios (?)

Anyway, thankfully the podcast is now put online anyway for our greatest enjoyment.
Interviewed people were Robert, Tadhg, Daniel and Cassius.

The podcast can be listened and also downloaded from the "Music Of the Tower" page, here: https://occatholic.com/category/podcast ... -the-tower
Search for "Episode #67" - "MUSIC FROM THE TOWER: GUEST IS THE LIBERA BOY CHOIR"

Link to the Facebook post from John Romeri:

Two photos from the interview (click to enlarge) :
Image     Image
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thanks fan_de_lok! I uploaded it to soundcloud for those who prefer that medium. :D

I noticed that John Romeri mentioned people had seen 100 concerts waiting outside since 10:00 in the morning for the evening concert. I wonder who John could be referring to? :lol: :wink: I know of at least 2 forum members here who could fit that description. :wink: I'm still waiting to see concert number 6 so it's not me!

And we now have an artistic interpretation of the "In Paradisum" video; this is something we speculated about in the past. Apparently the intended story was about lost children searching for light.

Apparently they had a great time on this tour which is fantastic to hear. Funny that Robert made fun of the rolling R's and other stuff traditionally done by some choirs and that the boys came up with their own hypothetical titles for the new Christmas album "Christmas Classics with Libera" and "Christmas around the world with Libera". :lol:
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Thank you, fan_de_LoK and Surpinto!

In addition to what you've already mentioned, I'd like to list an overview over the contents as usual for easier orientation.

As there were:
  • Development and background of Libera; the original purpose of creating Libera; composition of the registers in terms of the Libera repertoire
  • Complimenting on the lighting design
  • How to pronounce "Tadhg"
  • Talk about Angel
  • The US tour and the challenge to fill the time outside the concert work with enjoyable activities for the boys
  • How to take care of the voices during the demands that a concert tour entails
  • Handling of the voice change particularly in Libera
  • Other tours, the high expenses
  • How prospective members are searched
  • Singing techniques, consonants, vowels; how members are assigned to a certain voice group
  • Stetit Angelus and its recording
  • The upcoming Christmas album (it had no name yet on 6th August ... ;)
and several times coming back to the differentiation of Libera to other boys choirs.

These interviews by Music from the Tower are the best! Long, informative and with a nice sense of humour. It makes such a difference to have an interviewer who is so deeply in the matter himself that he knows to ask the most interesting questions. And despite having three interviews from there in a row, there's always new content. John Romeri's own enthusiasm shines through all he says and all of this makes these interviews really personal and warm-hearted.

Some comments about the contents (not sure if here's the right place for the last one; shall I shift it?):

Tadhg ( here 12), Daniel (10), Cassius (10) - at least Tadhg and Cassius started already at the age of 6 and 7, wow!

I like, as I always do, the great comprehension that Robert shows for the boys, for example: When Libera goes on tour, it's also their holidays, so apart from "working", which is their performances, they must also get some time to just enjoy freely.  

Robert stated that rolled "r"s would result in a kind of barrier on the listeners and that he couldn't say why. I assume that such overly pronounced "r"s are more assigned to adult singers by many people, as a maybe too high-trained, too artificial way of singing to be appropriate for a child. So I think a discrepancy is felt which leads to an unpleasant feeling. As if a child was made an adult too early. I don't say that it is that way, but it's enough when it is felt that way.
And this is what many of us appreciate so much in Libera as a primary feature: their so natural way of singing. Even though they of course have to use a singing technique, especially for solos like Benedictus Deus or In Paradisum, it happens all within the area of keeping the voice/singing as natural as possible. Perhaps this creates a closer feeling of the listeners to the Libera singers as well, while other choirs seem more distant ...?
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:18 pm">4 years ago</span>

Robert stated that rolled "r"s would result in a kind of barrier on the listeners and that he couldn't say why. I assume that such overly pronounced "r"s are more assigned to adult singers by many people, as a maybe too high-trained, too artificial way of singing to be appropriate for a child. So I think a discrepancy is felt which leads to an unpleasant feeling. As if a child was made an adult too early. I don't say that it is that way, but it's enough when it is felt that way.
The rolling "r"s, at least in English choirs, is only performed by the Trebles/boys - the adult singers don't do that. I think it is supposed to make the "r" stand out in a church setting because otherwise it is a pretty weak sound in English. But it is not done by the adults. A good example of this is Aled Jones where he sings the same song as an adult layered with his performance as a chorister:

If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:41 pm">4 years ago</span>The rolling "r"s, at least in English choirs, is only performed by the Trebles/boys - the adult singers don't do that.
Hm, are we speaking of different things? I mean this:

Trinity College Choir, "Only in Sleep"

Voces8, "Ubi caritas"

Ely Cathedral Choir, "Lord of all Hopefulness"

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:41 pm">4 years ago</span> I think it is supposed to make the "r" stand out in a church setting because otherwise it is a pretty weak sound in English.
A rolled "r" makes it easier to keep the voice in the front (shining sound) and not fall back into the throat (mat sound). And yes, it also gives more profile to the language and thus helps the listener to understand the words better in classical singing.
With the German "r" it's even worse than with the English one - very throaty.  :roll:
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

I've just seen that above I had missed this Philippines tour 2019 article "Libera - Angels on earth" as of 28.02.2019, published on the Daily Tribune Philippines website:

https://tribune.net.ph/index.php/2019/0 ... -on-earth/

Herewith caught up. :wink:
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

A superb interview by Creative World with Victor Wiggin, Freddie Mushrafi, Neo Parson, Koji Shinokubo and Daniel White and Shin Matsuba as the interviewer was released today. Despite the short length of only 15 minutes, there was time enough for getting plenty of interesting information with some amazing responses by the boys - and some to laugh at quite a bit! :D Fortunately it wasn't just talking back and forth, but simply questions with as much time as possible given to the boys. I really loved it!

I may be doing a spoiler now listing all the questions, but as I meant this thread to offer an orientation also for later times, please just skip it, if you haven't heard the interview yet and don't want to know anything prematurely.

1. Age now and age when joining Libera, nationalities, language knowledge
  2. Reason for joining Libera
  3. What was the process of the audition and what did it feel like?
  4. Training for new boys before concerts and tours
  5. Do you and how do you practise at home?
  6. How did you keep occupied during the lockdown?
  7. Did you practise at home?
  8. Which countries did you travel with Libera?
  9. Favourite Libera song?
  10. Which was the most memorable tour and why?
  11. What's your favourite part of being in Libera?
  12. What was the most memorable experience with Libera?
  13. Christmas concerts in the past
  14. Favourite Libera Christmas song and why?
  15. What are you looking forward to during the Christmas season?
  16. What comes to your mind when hearing the word "creative"?
  17. Message to the audience

A selection of replies which stood out for me in a particular way, while the entire interview is worth listening:

9. Neo's favourite song is Libera being their theme song and meaning "a lot to the choir"; he also likes the lyrics' meaning (!) and admitted to be biased in his choice for having a solo there. :)

12. While Victor and Neo liked rides in the U.S. and Japan, Freddie mentioned a concert and I thought wow, but then he continued with the main part of enjoyment being a swimming pool in the back. :lol:

16. This is a question whose replies I was very curious about. I love to hear Neo suggesting composing music as being especially creative. The most amazing and grown-up response came from Daniel which I want to quote here in full length, as it did impress me:

"The first thing is probably just colours, lots of colours, I've always thought of creative as colours, it kind of links to art a bit. Creative to me means kind of full of life, always seeking new things, challenging what you already know, always questioning everything, but in a healthy way."

And finally, their messages to the fans are so friendly, for example with Freddie wishing us to get well through these times and hoping to see us as soon as possible and Daniel thanking the fans for their support in the most charming way.

That's a really uplifting interview all along! :D
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thank you, filiarheni, for posting this summary here. I also found Daniel's response to be a surprisingly thoughtful one given his age - definitely an outside the box type answer - in a healthy way :wink: :P . To be in a professional choir and be able to keep up with the music and training, one must be gifted not only with musical talent but with intelligence as well. This can definitely be seen in interviews like this.