Beyond - DVD videos

Talk about Libera Videos, Movies and Photos here.

Moderator: Moderators

chris17

Re: Beyond - DVD videos

Post by chris17 »

Superb! :D I agree that the video fits the song very well and at the same time adds another layer to the song. I think it's my favorite music video they've produced in the last several years, maybe even since the music videos for Peace. Of course I also enjoyed In Paradisum, but of the two videos, this is definitely my favorite. :) The funny thing is that I never really cared for previous versions of Lacrymosa, but the Latin lyrics, Alex's solo, and Leo's harmonies change the whole texture of the song and make it feel completely different to me. Alex's voice in particular is very distinct from previous soloists.

I did think it was interesting that Leo wasn't ever shown actually singing, even during his solos. I wonder if that choice was made to emphasize that he only appeared in the video as a memory?
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

chris17 wrote: <span title="Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:35 am">5 years ago</span> Of course I also enjoyed In Paradisum, but of the two videos, this is definitely my favorite. :)
For me it's the opposite, I like the "In Paradisum" video much better. Having a similar topic, this one is positive and hopeful, while the "Lacrymosa" video leaves me just "lacrymosa", sad (aside from the friendship, which feels good). Ok, this is of course also due to the lyrics, but if we start comparing ... :lol:

Coming back to that chess piece again: Maybe Leo's piece making Alex's piece fall means that his death will make Alex fall into sadness?
Last edited by filiarheni on Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Knocking over one's opponent's king piece signifies "checkmate", victory and the end of the game. It could be that this bit wasn't really thought out and when they filmed it they merely wanted the symbolic effect, the demise, and didn't really dwell on whose king was felled. OTOH Leo was apparently meant to be Alexis' best friend. The felling of his king perhaps emphasizes how important Leo was to Alexis. On yet another hand maybe we're overthinking this. Maybe it's not Ingmar Bergman, Fredrico Fellini or any other of the great continental masters of symbolism in the cinema.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:20 am">5 years ago</span> Knocking over one's opponent's king piece signifies "checkmate", victory and the end of the game. It could be that this bit wasn't really thought out and when they filmed it they merely wanted the symbolic effect, the demise, and didn't really dwell on whose king was felled. OTOH Leo was apparently meant to be Alexis' best friend. The felling of his king perhaps emphasizes how important Leo was to Alexis. On yet another hand maybe we're overthinking this. Maybe it's not Ingmar Bergman, Fredrico Fellini or any other of the great continental masters of symbolism in the cinema.
Overthinking? Yes. :wink: A player can tip his own king in order to give up the game if he feels he will soon lose, but at no point does one player use his piece to tip another's king. Did the producers of this music video know that? Possibly not. For that reason I think you are right to say they were just trying to have the effect of a piece being toppled to symbolize loss and game over.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:20 am">5 years ago</span> On yet another hand maybe we're overthinking this. Maybe it's not Ingmar Bergman, Fredrico Fellini or any other of the great continental masters of symbolism in the cinema.
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:04 am">5 years ago</span> Overthinking? Yes. :wink: [...] at no point does one player use his piece to tip another's king. Did the producers of this music video know that? Possibly not.
Hm, overthinking here would mean underestimating them. I don't believe that someone uses the chess game for such a video without knowing its most basic rules. Why not simply trust that the makers knew what they were doing? I find the presence of symbolism at this bit very obvious (no matter different opinions regarding its degree and its meaning). But maybe I'm just very receptive for such things. This part feels particularly heartbreaking.

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:20 am">5 years ago</span> [...] they merely wanted the symbolic effect, the demise [...] OTOH Leo was apparently meant to be Alexis' best friend. The felling of his king perhaps emphasizes how important Leo was to Alexis.
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:04 am">5 years ago</span> ... have the effect of a piece being toppled to symbolize loss and game over.
That's what I meant. :wink:
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"