Hi there!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

justin

Hi there!

Post by justin »

Hi, I'm Justin. I first heard of Libera through my music teacher way back in 2005/2006 (when I was in a treble choir myself), and have been following them ever since. I saw them live for the first time during their UK Christmas concert in 2015 and absolutely loved it. There's just something special about their live performances that I can't properly quantify... Anyways, since I'm based in Asia, I'm very much delighted to know that Libera will be travelling to Japan in October! I'll be attending their performances in Tokyo, Nagoya and Osaka (basically all of them :P), and I hope to see you all there!
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Hi there!

Post by Surpinto »

Hi Justin. It's so good to have you here with us and it's really incredible that you were introduced to Libera by your teacher when you were a chorister. That's a very unique circumstance about how someone learned about the group. So cool! :D So how exactly did that come about? The teacher introduced them to the whole class or just to you so as to inspire you in some way? Forgive the intrusive questions if they are such, I'm just very intrigued.

You will be seeing them at all their Japanese concerts? Amazing! Please do be so kind as to write us a review and let us know how you enjoyed your second Libera experience; the choir is currently in top form based on what I saw on the US tour. Because you are so right to say that there is something inexplicably special about their live performances, I feel as though they pass by in the blink of an eye.
justin

Post by justin »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:46 am">5 years ago</span> Hi Justin. It's so good to have you here with us and it's really incredible that you were introduced to Libera by your teacher when you were a chorister. That's a very unique circumstance about how someone learned about the group. So cool! :D So how exactly did that come about? The teacher introduced them to the whole class or just to you so as to inspire you in some way? Forgive the intrusive questions if they are such, I'm just very intrigued.

You will be seeing them at all their Japanese concerts? Amazing! Please do be so kind as to write us a review and let us know how you enjoyed your second Libera experience; the choir is currently in top form based on what I saw on the US tour. Because you are so right to say that there is something inexplicably special about their live performances, I feel as though they pass by in the blink of an eye.
Hi Surpinto! I'm happy to share my story. Basically when i was in year 7 (6th/7th grade in the US??), I was selected to join my school's treble choir. So one day, my choirmaster decided to show us clips of other choirs performing a variety of songs from different musical genres, and the last clip just so happened to be Libera. I still remember the clip was 'Sanctus', soloist was Ed Day, with Josh Madine, Tom Cully and others doing the beautiful harmonies. It was (and still is) one of the best pieces of classical/cross-over choral music I have ever heard. After seeing that clip, I got hooked, and started searching for other songs from Libera, just so that I could try singing them. I had a great time singing some of the classics with my treble choir, such as 'I am the Day', 'Far Away' and 'We are the Lost', but alas, after a while my voice broke and my choral career ended :( .

I'll try to write a review after attending the Japan concerts, though I can't promise that my reviews will be any good, since I rarely write reviews, if at all. I'll try my best though :)
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

justin wrote: <span title="Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:22 pm">5 years ago</span>
Hi Surpinto! I'm happy to share my story. Basically when i was in year 7 (6th/7th grade in the US??), I was selected to join my school's treble choir. So one day, my choirmaster decided to show us clips of other choirs performing a variety of songs from different musical genres, and the last clip just so happened to be Libera. I still remember the clip was 'Sanctus', soloist was Ed Day, with Josh Madine, Tom Cully and others doing the beautiful harmonies. It was (and still is) one of the best pieces of classical/cross-over choral music I have ever heard. After seeing that clip, I got hooked, and started searching for other songs from Libera, just so that I could try singing them. I had a great time singing some of the classics with my treble choir, such as 'I am the Day', 'Far Away' and 'We are the Lost', but alas, after a while my voice broke and my choral career ended :( .

I'll try to write a review after attending the Japan concerts, though I can't promise that my reviews will be any good, since I rarely write reviews, if at all. I'll try my best though :)
Cool story! Thank you for sharing that; very unique indeed. I do not know if I would have liked Libera or choral music generally at such a young age but I did not have the same sort of exposure that you did. That's really cool though in your case.

Do not worry about the quality of reviews. Just tell us what you thought and your favorite songs and what made an impression. No formality is needed or expected. :D
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Hello Justin and welcome to the forum - what took you so long?

There will be a few forum members travelling to Japan - I'm sure you will be able to spot them! Be sure to introduce yourself, they are all very friendly (which Libera fans, wherever they are from, seem to be). Sadly I won't be there :( It would be nice to read your reviews of the concerts; don't worry about them being good, you only have to read some of my rubbish to know it doesn't matter :D

So, here is my traditional welcome to new posters:

If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
justin

Post by justin »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:04 pm">5 years ago</span> Hello Justin and welcome to the forum - what took you so long?

There will be a few forum members travelling to Japan - I'm sure you will be able to spot them! Be sure to introduce yourself, they are all very friendly (which Libera fans, wherever they are from, seem to be). Sadly I won't be there :( It would be nice to read your reviews of the concerts; don't worry about them being good, you only have to read some of my rubbish to know it doesn't matter :D

So, here is my traditional welcome to new posters:

Hi Yorkie! Thanks for the warm welcome, I've actually visited the forum once in a while over the past few years, but never really got around to making an account. So here I am now :) Excited to meet other Libera fans in Japan, and hopefully I'll be able to see you around when the time comes :)
justin

Post by justin »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:52 pm">5 years ago</span>
justin wrote: <span title="Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:22 pm">5 years ago</span>

Cool story! Thank you for sharing that; very unique indeed. I do not know if I would have liked Libera or choral music generally at such a young age but I did not have the same sort of exposure that you did. That's really cool though in your case.

Do not worry about the quality of reviews. Just tell us what you thought and your favorite songs and what made an impression. No formality is needed or expected. :D
I was mostly amazed by how high the notes were in some of the songs, and I was interested to sing those notes myself :lol: I also really liked harmonizing with my choir mates, and being in a choir (or any other interest group for that matter) was incredibly fun.

I'm quite looking forward to the live performance of 'In Paradisum', its probably my favorite song from the 'Beyond' album now. :D