Scenario Involving an Uber-talented Libera Soloist

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

bachmahlerfan

Scenario Involving an Uber-talented Libera Soloist

Post by bachmahlerfan »

After seeing mention of the next up and coming talent at Libera's most recent concert, I was thinking about what would happen if one of their singers was so talented, that the singer ends up doing solo albums separate from Libera (although I suppose the rest of the group could provide choral accompaniment). It's possible that the albums could be produced under Libera's own label, but that would depend on the type of music/musical ensembles the singer wants to be involved with. I know that Liam O'Kane was featured on those "Hard Romantic" recordings, but those were rather low profile and I believe that Robert Prizeman had some involvement. In addition, only the "Soprani" recording featured him on most of the tracks. I'm talking more at the level of what Aksel Rykkvin did recently, or Aled Jones. If the singer was busy enough with his other projects, could he perhaps be with Libera only 70% of the time, or would he have to cut ties with the group at that point?
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Scenario Involving an Uber-talented Libera Soloist

Post by Surpinto »

Even the famous examples you gave involved choristers that stayed with the respective choirs from which they originated. I think that at those ages they don't really pursue full-time solo singing careers. They have school after all; and there are child labor laws. From what I understand many Libera members already are currently involved in singing outside of Libera as well as sports or other activities. Robert clearly nurtures their talents and gives them a chance to shine. We see this with the "Ave Maria" solo sung by TDL which has never been done again.

It would stand to reason that Libera would encourage and support such a chorister so long he could perform the duties required of him by Libera.

But it would ultimately depend on the parents and the boy's schedule. I don't think that studio recording time or extra voice lessons in and of themselves would take away from being able to be in Libera. It would probably be a combination of factors that would be very individual.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Well, you certainly make some good points, and I think it's probable that things could work out for the singer staying in Libera, assuming he wants to stay. I still wonder if RP would want to produce their own album featuring the soloist, or if he would rather let the soloist do that outside the group. After all, such an album would require considerable time to prepare, and there would be a lot of music to arrange. Personally, I think if such an album was produced under Libera's label, it would probably feature some other singers with the soloist in duets, quartets, etc., along with the full choir in some tracks.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

There are just so many factors involved. Does the boy have other musical involvement? Or is Libera it? Can his parents afford private voice lessons, or put in touch with someone who can offer them gratis if they can not? Usually that would be required for someone to be at the level needed to make a solo album.

There is ample precedent for Libera using a soloist extensively (think "Semele" on Luminosa). Ben Crawley was a major soloist on two Libera albums. The song I just referenced is pretty much just him. However, even in that song the entire choir is used to back him up. So I would agree with you that it would look exactly that way if they, once again, had a talented soloist like that.