Libera to tour USA - Summer 2017

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Re: Libera to tour USA

Post by kinda_k00l »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:23 pm">6 years ago</span> Obviously, this is a live-stream done by that church in a public online setting, so it is not a secret that these broadcasts can and will be recorded. My initial reaction when I realized that Libera had requested removal was confusion. I did not understand why they would care so much about a seeming trifle like recording a public, live broadcast.

However, as a fan community who vigorously supports the group, we have a duty to respect their wishes in this regard and to not upload these videos now or in the future. All artists desire support, understanding, and respect from their fans. Failing to provide that may make them feel that fans do not truly value their work or respect them. Since we value their work very much here, we have to abide by their wishes simply to show them the respect and politeness that they are due.

Their request to remove has nothing to do with the US tour at all but probably with the fact that they do not wish to have videos over which they do not have exclusive control being out there representative of their music. The audio, on this particular live-stream, was good but the acoustics would certainly never be up to Libera's normal, demanding standards. Therefore, uploading this video after the tour would not be appropriate.
Now that you mention it, I wonder why I didn't find it surprising when they asked for the deletion of the videos...

Well, since I've written about the "post-US-tour-upload" on Twitter (before Libera took action), I may have messed up a little bit of between the information on Twitter vs that here on Libera Dreams, so sorry, my bad. To be clear, I have no intentions of publicizing the videos anymore, I still wait to see how the situation will be after the tour though (in a passive way, not in a making-these-videos-public-at-all-cost way of course).
Last edited by kinda_k00l on Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
Me: *shows LIBERA, KALAFINA & DULCIS VOX :lol:*
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:37 pm">6 years ago</span> Apart from that, can someone tell us what song they sang ? Maybe it has been said already but I couldn't find the information.
Thank you all for your reviews, it really matters to us !
In the 1st service, there were How Great Thou Art, Libera & In Christ Alone (with other singers)
In the 2nd service, there were In Christ Alone & Libera :D

P/S: Now since not everyone got the chance to watch these, maybe I could write a short review or something before the next concert starts in a few more hours?
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
hiskeys
Silver Member

Post by hiskeys »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:19 am">6 years ago</span>
hiskeys wrote: <span title="Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:26 am">6 years ago</span>
bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:34 am">6 years ago</span>
I'm not surprised considering that it's a rare opportunity for them to use an environmental projection lighting system. There aren't a lot of parishes that can afford such fancy lighting systems.
I would assume that whatever equipment is required for the projection mapping belongs to, or was just rented by, Luke Avery. By the way, this is probably also a good opportunity for Luke to gain experience with this type of visual enhancement. And it might be somewhat of a test for Libera, as to whether they would like to use it, when appropriate, in the future. Some of their songs involve abstract concepts, but others might benefit from the addition, as long as it doesn't tip the scale into distraction.
Well, if it belonged to him, I think it would have been used in other concerts already, and renting something like that would probably be very expensive. The lighting system definitely belongs to the church because there are numerous photos and even some videos of it in use in the past few years since it was installed there. I read somewhere that it's a rather wealthy parish, so they can afford things that others cannot.
Thanks, Bachmahlerfan, I stand corrected. I just haven't run across a church yet that had something like that, and figured Luke might have it in his collection already. It will be interesting to see how it works out.
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Thank you all for providing the information about the live streaming fo the services from the Asbury Methodist Church. I watched them and I'm more than happy :D :D .
Having heard Alex G. live in "Wayfaring Stranger" in Ely I hoped to hear more solos from him. And here it is: "How Great Thou Art". A wonderful performance :D :D. The previous excellent reviews aren't exaggerated at all! Actually Alex sings solos in the same songs as did Sam Wiggin before him, doesn't he?

Thank you Yorkie for recording and posting the videos, even though you removed them upon the request from Libera. I'm a little bit sad and disappointed now. However no better words could be found than those used by Surpinto to clearly express what is the right thing to do for us, the fans. We simply have so much joy with Libera's music, we appreciate and respect their work so much, so it is out of the question not to respect their requests.

Maybe Libera will publish some of the recordings one day. My great wish and hope is, that we will be able to enjoy "How Great Thou Art" with Alex singing the solo in London in December.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Well, it looks like Libera had a great crowd this evening in Tulsa. Since they aren't coming to Minnesota this tour, I tried to fill the void by attending a pipe organ concert at the Cathedral of St. Paul featuring Ken Cowan, who is a fantastic organist. By the way, the pipe organ looks much better than it did when Libera sang there, because it has since been restored, and had a full casing and additional pipes added to it.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I've seen the live streaming videos posted on YouTube, but I've been reluctant to register in order to watch them. In my experience "Watch Such and Such On Line For Free" websites are usually nothing but traps. When registration is completed they download unwanted apps or even viruses. Are the websites offering live streaming of the recent US Libera concerts actually legit?
Jay_S
Silver Member

Post by Jay_S »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:12 am">6 years ago</span> I've seen the live streaming videos posted on YouTube, but I've been reluctant to register in order to watch them. In my experience "Watch Such and Such On Line For Free" websites are usually nothing but traps. When registration is completed they download unwanted apps or even viruses. Are the websites offering live streaming of the recent US Libera concerts actually legit?
I hear you about the registering to watch the videos live. I was about to register but I decided to just hit the play button and it played without registering. I'm sorry if you missed the live stream because of this.
"with a down derry, derry down down"
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Some pictures from Tulsa.
DSC01737.JPG
DSC01737.JPG (3.58 MiB) Viewed 1389 times
DSC01737.JPG
DSC01737.JPG (3.58 MiB) Viewed 1389 times
Neo, Marc & Gabriel
DSC01736.JPG
DSC01736.JPG (3.09 MiB) Viewed 1389 times
DSC01736.JPG
DSC01736.JPG (3.09 MiB) Viewed 1389 times
Alex M, Isaac & Rocco
DSC01728.JPG
DSC01728.JPG (2.92 MiB) Viewed 1389 times
DSC01728.JPG
DSC01728.JPG (2.92 MiB) Viewed 1389 times
Adam, Nathaniel & Joe
DSC01733a.jpg
DSC01733a.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 1389 times
DSC01733a.jpg
DSC01733a.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 1389 times
Romeo & Camden
DSC01726.JPG
DSC01726.JPG (2.91 MiB) Viewed 1389 times
DSC01726.JPG
DSC01726.JPG (2.91 MiB) Viewed 1389 times
Mattheus,Tadgh,Merlin & Peter
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

john45 wrote: <span title="Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:34 am">6 years ago</span> Some pictures from Tulsa.
Thank you for another set of lovely pictures! Please (x1000 times) keep going. :D :D :D
[Some lame self-scribbles] I cannot tell how much they've grown just by looking at the pictures though. The livestreams of the church services make me go 'wow so these guys are this big' lol. Take 'little' Peter & Taichi for example, compare them now with them in the videos in Korean just last year...
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thank you for the photos, John, great pics as always. Hope you enjoyed the concert, hope to run into you in Saint Louis.
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

@john45 - thanks a lot for the great pics.

@Surpinto - are you getting ready for the concert? Looking forward to seeing your pictures from St.Louis and then reading your concert review. Have a safe trip.
LiberaFanICT

Post by LiberaFanICT »

Hello all! I've been lurking on the site as a guest for the past couple months after hearing that Libera would be coming to the US and close to home. I thought I'd actually register and leave some impressions about last night's concert in Tulsa, as I appreciated reading all of the ones that others had left of the previous concerts. I thought I'd just post a few things that hadn't been said yet, as others have very eloquently given song-by-song reviews much better than I ever could.

Bottom line: this was the best concert I have ever attended or been a part of (I used to be an instrumental and choir performer as a kid and through college). It was my first Libera concert, so I'm sure others have had the same experience their first time seeing the group live. If you have the opportunity to but are on the fence about going to the St. Louis concert, just go. It's well worth the effort/time/money to get there. I've seen many Youtube videos of them performing and always wondered if they sounded so great because of having backing tracks while singing or something, as they always sound so perfect. Well, they don't. They really are that good.

I still am not sure how in the world this area of the country was so lucky to have a world-class group come here, considering Tulsa is a city of only 400,000 people, compared to the millions in cities like LA, Houston, and St. Louis. The church was packed for the concert, which was really inspiring to see, as we in the Midwest are generally not known to the rest of the country for being the most "cultured." If a city of 400,000 can draw as many people to a concert as it sounds showed up in LA, that gives me hope for future tour locations. The person next to me, who was a member of the church where the concert was held, made the comment that it "was like Easter" there in terms of attendance. It sounds like many people came to the concert from that congregation after hearing them during the services in the morning. I drove for a few hours to get there and bumped into people who had come from Houston and Dallas.

For those who don't know, there was a tornado that hit part of Tulsa in the middle of the night (early Sunday morning), with about 25 injuries or so (no deaths). Libera wasn't staying anywhere close to where it hit. I asked a few of them about it, and Peter energetically spoke up that he had wanted to see the tornado and was disappointed that he hadn't. The woman behind me in line and I explained that a tornado warning to people in the Midwest does not mean "go to shelter": it means go outside and try to see the tornado and film it. Peter would obviously fit right in.

Speaking of the autograph session, none of the boys seemed tired, and all seemed very engaged in talking to their fans. I was especially impressed with Tadgh, who was actively asking people questions ("Which song was your favorite?") and Merlin, who asked my son his name and if he liked to sing. Leo wins the award for the largest signature, as he signed the back of the program and took up about 1/3 of the page. I'd be happy to scan a copy of the autographed program here, but I'm not sure if that is allowed or desired.

The concert in Tulsa was free, and they gave out thick programs with all of the lyrics, background about the group, pictures from recent performances, etc. It sounds like this was an extra cost at the other venues; again, I have no idea how they managed to have Libera come to Tulsa and cover all of these costs. I'm not sure if it would be allowed to post any of the pages from the program after the concerts are over, but I'd be happy to if it is and anyone wants to see what they included. The venue had various colored LED lights around the stage and on the back wall that would change for different songs and even to accent certain words or phrases. They then had equipment that could project various things over the entire back and sides of the auditorium, such as stars, stained glass windows, etc.

Something that hasn't been mentioned in other reviews here is how great the instrumentalists have been. Most are different in each city, though a few seemed to travel with the group. These were very professional musicians who backed them and sounded great. I was also impressed with the people who handled sound, as the balance between instruments and vocals, at least where I was sitting (second row), was perfect. They also knew exactly where to increase the volume of soloists or add in effects (like on Taichi singing "Salva me"). The only minor criticism in this regard is that the sound wasn't switched over to pick up speaking voices better, so it was sometimes tougher to understand the speeches that the boys made.

At the end of "Exsultate," the standing ovation was instant. Usually I've seen crowds where a few people stand up, followed by a few more, and then the whole crowd is up after a few minutes. In this case, the second the last note was sung, the entire crowd jumped up to show appreciation, which was only broken by the start of the encore. Something that those from other countries on here may not know is that the Midwest of the US is known for being rather conservative (we're in what's known as the "Bible Belt") and fiercely patriotic. So, they sang "America the Beautiful" to a patriotic crowd, which caused most in the audience to stand back up through the song with hands over their hearts. At the end of the song, the projection was of a waving American flag. I think this was a deeply moving moment for everyone there. I think the applause would have continued indefinitely had Libera not waved goodbye and left the stage.

As a side note, I took my 8 year old to the concert to try to get him inspired to sing. His review of the concert was that it was "epic"; and he wants to find a "team" (choir) to join. Parental goal accomplished. :)

Just my random observations and experience. For any other forum lurkers who haven't done so but can, I'd highly recommend seeing them live.
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Thank you so much for this review. :D Indeed, I read a lot of comments on Twitter and Facebook saying that it was one of the best Libera concert ever. Reading your description of people doing a standing-ovation so spontaneously gave me goosebumps. I can't imagine how grateful the group must have been ! This is a great award for the work they have done, this tour must be an amazing experience...

So, the light effects seem to have been efficient. I wondered about it, I'm not a hundred pourcent sure I would appreciate it... Isn't it a been distractive or intrusive ? I really like to focus on the boys, they are pretty moving themselves, so I don't feel like pictures and backgrounds would be necessary. But I believe it must have been quite impressive... :P
frankstuart

Post by frankstuart »

Great review of the Tulsa concert, LiberaFanITC! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and impressions with us. Glad to hear that the concert was packed - I was worried about the Tulsa venue since they were not allowed to sell tickets to it. Sounds like they also were not allowed to sell programs, etc. Hopefully the donations collected will cover these expenses. I believe that Libera made the decision to have the boys participate in church services where ever possible. It seems to have greatly improved attendance at some of the concerts and won new fans. Now we just have to hope and pray the St. Louis concert goes as great as the Houston and Tulsa ones did so the boys can end on a great note!

Thanks again for taking the time to share with us.
LiberaFanICT

Post by LiberaFanICT »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:42 pm">6 years ago</span> So, the light effects seem to have been efficient. I wondered about it, I'm not a hundred pourcent sure I would appreciate it... Isn't it a been distractive or intrusive ? I really like to focus on the boys, they are pretty moving themselves, so I don't feel like pictures and backgrounds would be necessary. But I believe it must have been quite impressive... :P
I didn't find the projections distracting. It was kind of just a cool additional feature to add to the mood of the songs, just like the lighting itself does. My kid loved the backgrounds, though, so it's probably something that younger people and not choral purists will enjoy more. :)