Libera to tour USA - Summer 2017

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Re: Libera to tour USA

Post by kinda_k00l »

chris17 wrote: <span title="Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:46 am">6 years ago</span> The Libera concert at Christ Cathedral was my first time seeing Libera live, even though I've been listening to them for about 6 or 7 years, since I'd been a student and hadn't had the means to travel to see them.
Overall, it was a wonderful experience and it makes me want to see Libera again as soon as possible. I'm not sure when that will be, but hopefully now that I've finished college, it will be a little easier. :)
Again, sooooo relatable!! I also hope when I finish university, my 'Libera Dreams' will become easier. Thank you so much for your review, I've read everything in a super careful way and it somehow lifted my mood (I was not even in a bad mood lol).
Seems like everyone who came to the concerts all agree that Rocco's & Alex G's performances were outstanding (& also the cutest ever Romeo hehe) :D

Also, a big thank to Viktar & john45's photos. They are fantastic! FANTASTIC!!!

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:22 am">6 years ago</span> I'm really looking forward to this interview too because the interviewer, John Romeri, is an accomplished musician and choir director in his own right. We may get a more interesting interview from a musical/singing perspective than we've gotten from most Libera interviews.
I agree with you. An interview by a professional in the same field can bring out much more about Libera's music, singing & rehearsals (hopefully). I'm getting itchy already... :roll:

P/S: Is it real that (some part of) what we write here will really get to Libera? I'm also new here, and this news just made my mouth drop for a sec hmm...
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
Me: *shows LIBERA, KALAFINA & DULCIS VOX :lol:*
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Keep those reviews & photos coming, I'm enjoying them all.

Regarding things posted on the forum reaching Libera & the boys. Just to be clear this is a fan site and has no links to the Libera organisation. But of course it is only natural that the boys or family members want to see what people thought about a concert or a song or DVD.

So things written about here are seen. As John said it is a difficult balance to get right; we want to be honest and supportive. Things that we notice and mention seem harmless but interesting to us, but can be easily misunderstood, especially given the age of the boys.

Anyway, I think we generally get it right on this forum which is pleasing. Keep up the great work everybody 😀
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
frankstuart

Post by frankstuart »

Libera in Houston

Let me start out by saying that I have been excited about being able to see Libera live in concert again. My first one was when they visited San Antonio in 2015. Too be honest, I don’t remember much about it, not because it wasn’t memorable, but because I was so enthralled for the opening chords that I sat entranced through the entire performance basking in the glories of their music. I probably remember more about the Meet and Greet afterwards.

I was equally anticipating this year’s concert. The venue was beautiful and the acoustics wonderful. While talking with one of the church officials assisting with the concert he informed me that the church seated about 1200 and as of noon the day prior to the performance all but about 40 of the tickets had been sold. (Another concert attendee told me that the church seated around 1800 to 2000 so…..) however many it seated the boys sang to an almost full house. It had to be a great experience for them to see a concert so packed! The pews were especially comfortable which made the concert even more enjoyable. Prior to the concert the booth selling Libera items seemed to do a very high level of sales. The Hoodie I purchased will be one of my favorite items from the concert. (why I bough a very heavy fleece hoodie when he weather here in Texas has been near 100 degrees daily, I’ll never know, but some in me just wanted it.)

I was able to afford a Premium ticket and sit very close to the front. One of the things that I enjoyed throughout the concert was being able to watch Dr. Prizeman as he directed the group. I was delighted to see that his directing style is very much like mine was when I taught music. I guess it was a stereotype, but I had always assumed his would be a formal, orchestral style of maintaining the beat and gesturing important entrances, crescendos, etc. Instead he seemed to flow with the music as his hands sculptured the phrases and encouraged the group on in their endeavors. He also seemed to spend much effort it trying to get the boys to smile as they performed. I told Taichi at the meet and greet that he needed to teach the rest of the group to smile. He got a big kick out of that and “Yes, I know.” While Josh M. will always be known as the “Smile of Libera”, Taichi is giving him a rule for the title!

Even though I taught choral music for over 20 years I will not attempt to do an in depth critique of the concert. Anyone who attends a live concert should go realizing that they will not hear a CD perfect version of the songs. When you cut a CD it take hours and hours of performing and you are able to as many retakes as needed and the control booth and adjust balances, volumes, etc. At live performances you one shot at it. The first half of the concert was a perfect example of that. Unfortunately, the instruments were too loud and overshadowed the voices, especially in the loud portions of the songs. When the boys sang accapella or with just the piano, you could hear then just fine. When the instruments joined in it was difficult to hear the harmonies and words. This was through no fault of the boys. The sound board was just not set right. Because of this, I don’t think the audience really got to get emotionally involved in the performances of the first half. Their response and applause was polite but measured.

By the second half the balances had been corrected and by the end of Joyful, Joyful Libera had won their hearts! If their response had been “polite” in the first, it was overwhelming throughout the second. The boys seemed to recognize the difference and put even more into their music. The final applause was rousing and heart felt and everyone left the concert hall full of the joys of Libera!

It seemed that many of the attendees did not stay for the Meet and Greet. It may have been due to the fact that a great many of them were new to Libera and their performances and did not know about it. I had some souvenirs of their stop in Texas and did not want to distract the boys from any guest that followed me so I was one of the final ones in line. Every one of the boys was actively thanking the guests for coming to the concert, asking them if they enjoyed it, etc. It was a joy to see them still awake and excited after a two hour concert. They were perfect gentlemen and displayed manners that most every parent would have been proud of.

Sorry for being so long-winded (or is it long-fingered?) In conclusion, my experiences between the two concerts I have been fortunate to attend, this one, even with some of the technical issues was more satisfying for me. I was able to meet and socialize with some Libera fans from all over the world (Canada, Mexico, France, Asia, Germany, England and various parts of the USA) and share views and opinions on the group and how it has affected their lives. More importantly, it made me appreciate the boys and their work to an even greater extent. After all – they are just boys! While we know and cherish them for their music, these young men, (aged 8-14) must balance their lives between education, family, sports, and music. And they are doing a fantastic job at it! And of course they do all of this in between eating. One of the Libera moms I talked with said she didn’t know what they did more of – singing or eating!!!!!

As a P.S. - I noticed in the program the two of the main sponsors are Viking Cruise Lines the Four Seasons Hotel chain. It would be fantastic if Libera fans would drop a note of thanks to both of these companies. I believe it is vital to future Libera tours in the USA that they procure large corporate sponsor to help fund their visits. If anyone has any connections or ideas I’m certain that Libera.USA would be joyed to hear from you.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

frankstuart wrote: <span title="Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:20 pm">6 years ago</span> Libera in Houston

Unfortunately, the instruments were too loud and overshadowed the voices, especially in the loud portions of the songs. When the boys sang accapella or with just the piano, you could hear then just fine. When the instruments joined in it was difficult to hear the harmonies and words. This was through no fault of the boys. The sound board was just not set right. Because of this, I don’t think the audience really got to get emotionally involved in the performances of the first half. Their response and applause was polite but measured.

By the second half the balances had been corrected and by the end of Joyful, Joyful Libera had won their hearts! If their response had been “polite” in the first, it was overwhelming throughout the second. The boys seemed to recognize the difference and put even more into their music. The final applause was rousing and heart felt and everyone left the concert hall full of the joys of Libera!
Well, I suppose part of the challenge is that other than Eimear, Jon and Josh, the instrumentalists are unfamiliar to the group. I wonder if some of the instrumentalists played some parts louder (for example, fortissimo instead of forte) than they did in rehearsal, throwing off the balance somewhat. One other factor is that the orchestra and choir probably didn't go through all of the music together, because the boys' voices could wear out with so much use. Otherwise, the fact that you were sitting close to the front may have caused you to hear the orchestra more loudly than people farther from the stage.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Great review, frankstuart! :D
frankstuart

Post by frankstuart »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:12 pm">6 years ago</span>
frankstuart wrote: <span title="Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:20 pm">6 years ago</span> Libera in Houston

Unfortunately, the instruments were too loud and overshadowed the voices, especially in the loud portions of the songs. When the boys sang accapella or with just the piano, you could hear then just fine. When the instruments joined in it was difficult to hear the harmonies and words. This was through no fault of the boys. The sound board was just not set right. Because of this, I don’t think the audience really got to get emotionally involved in the performances of the first half. Their response and applause was polite but measured.

Well, I suppose part of the challenge is that other than Eimear, Jon and Josh, the instrumentalists are unfamiliar to the group. I wonder if some of the instrumentalists played some parts louder (for example, fortissimo instead of forte) than they did in rehearsal, throwing off the balance somewhat. One other factor is that the orchestra and choir probably didn't go through all of the music together, because the boys' voices could wear out with so much use. Otherwise, the fact that you were sitting close to the front may have caused you to hear the orchestra more loudly than people farther from the stage.
I'm sure that what you point out can be a problem when on tour and performing with different instrumentalist every concert At least it does put to rest some of the foolish thoughts by some distractors that Libera lip-syncs when they go on tour! (Never understood why someone would think that.) Anyway, you do make good points and I appreciate your views on it. Thank you.
Jay_S
Silver Member

Post by Jay_S »

Thanks for writing such an interesting review frankstuart! You made a great point about the challenges that group as a whole has while performing on the road. Working with new instrumentalists at some of the concerts is definitely a challenge for Robert Prizeman. Not only that, but the challenge of working in a new environment each night is extremely difficult to get right on the first go. Imagine the difference in acoustics of each venue. Then take into consideration that the rehearsals are in largely empty spaces. The gentlemen who operate the sound mixing board will need to adjust from their rehearsal settings to account for the now filled house. Spectators do affect the sound to some degree.

I'm glad that the second half of the concert was better from a technical standpoint and that you enjoyed the show!
"with a down derry, derry down down"
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I found a video on the facebook page of Asbury United Methodist Church of an ad for the Libera concert that is being broadcast in the Tulsa area. https://www.facebook.com/asburytulsa/vi ... =2&theater
frankstuart

Post by frankstuart »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:29 am">6 years ago</span> I found a video on the facebook page of Asbury United Methodist Church of an ad for the Libera concert that is being broadcast in the Tulsa area. https://www.facebook.com/asburytulsa/vi ... =2&theater
That was a great ad for the group. I hope it is getting a lot of play time! The fact that they will be singing for two morning services should really help build attendance, too. I was really afraid for attendance at this city because there are not many community or children's choirs that I could email - they just don't exist like they do in the other venue cities. The fact that there are no ticket sales and they have to rely on oor donations could work either way, too. I really hope Tulsa goes really well for the boys and a large audience turns out for them. Thanks for the link. Things like that may be a key to future tours in the USA!
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

Thank you frankstuart for another great review. Glad to hear that the concert is almost packed. The boys must have been proud of themselves.
frankstuart wrote: <span title="Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:20 pm">6 years ago</span> One of the things that I enjoyed throughout the concert was being able to watch Dr. Prizeman as he directed the group. I was delighted to see that his directing style is very much like mine was when I taught music. I guess it was a stereotype, but I had always assumed his would be a formal, orchestral style of maintaining the beat and gesturing important entrances, crescendos, etc.
Don't know why but a smile just came to my mouth when I read this part, probably because I'm also in charge of a choir at the moment and my directing style is kinda stereotyped too. :)

I totally agree with you about the balance between the orchestra & choir. I've never been to a Libera concert, but through some fan-cams (I'll not put links here), I can see that sometimes the orchestra overpowered the boys, that's quite a sad thing to my ears & also quite a difficult thing for the soundboard person too. Good to know that the second half was much better!!

frankstuart wrote: <span title="Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:20 pm">6 years ago</span> They were perfect gentlemen and displayed manners that most every parent would have been proud of.
Yessss! THIS!! The fact that they have to balance their lives is difficult enough, let alone professional singing. Yet they have the ability to do so with such good attitude & manners, it just makes me be even more proud of them as well as happier to be their fan. Go Libera!! 8)

P/S: I'm with you on cute little Taichi's smile ;)
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:29 am">6 years ago</span> I found a video on the facebook page of Asbury United Methodist Church of an ad for the Libera concert that is being broadcast in the Tulsa area. https://www.facebook.com/asburytulsa/vi ... =2&theater
Cool! Good find. :D
frankstuart

Post by frankstuart »

kinda_k00l wrote: <span title="Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:51 am">6 years ago</span> P/S: I'm with you on cute little Taichi's smile ;)
Not so little anymore! In fact when I was talking with him at the Meet and Greet I joked with him that he wasn't the smallest on stage like he was back in 2015 in San Antonio. There were two or three smaller than him. Typical of boys of his age, he is really growing (but still cute)!
frankstuart

Post by frankstuart »

I think I forgot to mention Romeo and his recorder. This little cutie did a wonderful job on it. You could tell he was nervous being in front of the group standing before the large audience but when it came time to play he really came through. I wish he had been miked a little better so he could have been heard better, but it added a very nice touch to the piece. I got a little smile out of him at the Meet and Greet when I complimented him on his playing. Joking with him during the conversation brought out a tiny smile which brightened up his face.

He is one of the smallest in the performing group and you can see that he is nervous and watches the other boys to reassure himself. I do believe he will develop into an important member of the group as he grows and develops. Hopefully he will get the encouragement and opportunities to show off his talents. I think that the more honest praise and support he receives, the more comfortable he will feel on stage during the performances.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Thanks for the reviews Chris & frankstuart – each review is unique and always offers a different perspective so we cannot get enough of them in here. Thanks John for the great photo’s, and of course to the regular contributors we often rely on to keep us up to date on twitter and facebook about Libera’s current US tour.

With regards to tomorrow; Libera appear to be participating in both the 9:15 (Traditional) & 11 am (Modern) services at Asbury United Methodist Church, prior to their live concert later on.

The latest bulletin http://5caed95bc29ae517134c-b64e6aa5245 ... -08-06.pdf details their contribution and with any luck the live streaming http://asburytulsa.org/get-media/watch-live/ should play nice and possibly allow those not in attendance to watch the service.

I think only the sermons are served as archived podcasts, so I hope somebody captures it because I may not be able too.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

JimmyRiddle wrote: <span title="Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:38 pm">6 years ago</span> The latest bulletin http://5caed95bc29ae517134c-b64e6aa5245 ... -08-06.pdf details their contribution and with any luck the live streaming http://asburytulsa.org/get-media/watch-live/ should play nice and possibly allow those not in attendance to watch the service.
Thanks for the links!! If everything works fine, maybe I can make it. It's 12 hours ahead here in Vietnam, so if I can get home before 9 PM today, I can actually watch Libera singing live (not in their own concerts but still, I'm bursting with joy already although I may seem normal)!!! :D :P