quoting in a reply

Ask in here for technical help.

Moderator: Moderators

Jay_S
Silver Member

quoting in a reply

Post by Jay_S »

Hi folks. I'm feeling a bit clumsy trying to reply to posts where I'd like to quote part of the post but not all of it. I see many examples of this type of reply but I think there must be a better way to do this than I did it on my first attempt. Any help would be appreciated! :)
"with a down derry, derry down down"
andmar
Silver Member

Re: quoting in a reply

Post by andmar »

You can do it in numerous of ways:

1. You can start with quoting the whole post and then delete the parts, which you want to exclude. But caution - see note about brackets below.

Example (I have put an extra space character after the "q" in "quote" to prevent the server from interpreting the example as an actual quotation)

[q uote=Jay_S post_id=50409 time=1499181230 user_id=1932]
Any help would be appreciated! :)
[/quote]

Looks like:
Jay_S wrote: <span title="Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:13 pm">6 years ago</span> Any help would be appreciated! :)
2. If you want to include more quotations from the same post, it might be inconvenient to repeat the steps above. So you may just copy the first opening bracket (see the note about brackets) and the last closing one, and then copy any text from the original post in between them.

Example
[q uote=Jay_S post_id=50409 time=1499181230 user_id=1932]
Put anything here
[/quote]

Looks like:
Jay_S wrote: <span title="Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:13 pm">6 years ago</span> Put anything here

3. You can simply use the opening and closing brackets without any reference to any post

Example:
[q uote]
Put anything here
[/quote]

Looks like:
Put anything here
Then, you can use the "Preview" button prior to submitting the post. You post will be displayed ABOVE the editor window in a form, in which it will appear on the forum. You can check, if everything is OK before actually submitting the post.

NOTE about brackets.
The editor uses brackets to differently treat some paragraphs of text. The brackets are always in the form:
[bracket] = opening bracket
[/bracket] = closing bracket
The word "bracket" should be replaced with the relevant command. For quotation, the command is "quote".
Note, that the closing bracket has always the character "/" in front of the command. The brackets can be nested within one another.

When editing quotations and deleting parts of it, you should pay attention, that every opening bracket has its corresponding closing bracket in the right place. Otherwise, you may get results, which are far from expectations.

By the way, in your first partial quotation you made a small mistake: you used [/quote] as an opening bracket. You can still edit the post and remove the "/" character. Then it should look better. :)

Hopefully I helped.
Jay_S
Silver Member

Post by Jay_S »

andmar wrote: <span title="Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:08 pm">6 years ago</span>
Hopefully I helped.
Thank you andmar. Your tutorial is fantastic! Let me see if I can make it work now :-)

After viewing the preview I see that it worked! You helped a lot! :D :D
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

andmar wrote: <span title="Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:08 pm">6 years ago</span> 1. You can start with quoting the whole post and then delete the parts, which you want to exclude. But caution - see note about brackets below.
1.a) If you want to quote only a part of the post, you mark this part with your mouse and then click the quotation icon. :wink:
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Jay_S
Silver Member

Post by Jay_S »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:58 pm">6 years ago</span> 1.a) If you want to quote only a part of the post, you mark this part with your mouse and then click the quotation icon. :wink:
That works too! Thank you :D
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:58 pm">6 years ago</span>
andmar wrote: <span title="Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:08 pm">6 years ago</span> 1. You can start with quoting the whole post and then delete the parts, which you want to exclude. But caution - see note about brackets below.
1.a) If you want to quote only a part of the post, you mark this part with your mouse and then click the quotation icon. :wink:
Thanks for this hint filiarheni!! :D I suspected, that there might be a simpler way to quote a part of a post, but as I am an old coding freak, I prefer an old-fashioned text editor in many cases then some modern tools. After figuring out how to manage it in the text editor, I didn't care any longer to find another way. But this trick makes things easier. Thanks again. :D
Last edited by andmar on Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

andmar wrote: <span title="Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:14 pm">6 years ago</span> But this trick makes things easier.
However, it doesn't handle nested quotations properly.

Instead of proper code:
andmar wrote: <span title="Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:08 pm">6 years ago</span> Example (I have put an extra space character after the "q" in "quote" to prevent the server from interpreting the example as an actual quotation)

Looks like:
Jay_S wrote: <span title="Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:13 pm">6 years ago</span> Any help would be appreciated! :)
2. If you want to include more quotations from the same post, it might be inconvenient to repeat the steps above. So you may just copy the first opening bracket (see the note about brackets) and the last closing one, and then copy any text from the original post in between them.
it produces something like this:
andmar wrote: <span title="Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:08 pm">6 years ago</span> Example (I have put an extra space character after the "q" in "quote" to prevent the server from interpreting the example as an actual quotation)

Looks like:

Jay_S wrote: ↑
<span title="|04 Jul 2017|, 17:13">15 hours ago</span>
Any help would be appreciated! :)

So, in some cases manual editing of the code seems to be unavoidable.
Jay_S
Silver Member

Post by Jay_S »

andmar wrote: <span title="Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:51 am">6 years ago</span> So, in some cases manual editing of the code seems to be unavoidable.
andmar Thanks for the further explanation. It may take me a while to handle the nested quotes smoothly but I'm on my way! :)
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

:lol: It's a real "Quotalogy", isn't it? And andmar is in his last semester. I saw that now: It doesn't carry over the original formatting in case there is any. So if the original had e. g. a bold word, it will be thin in the quotation - if you do it like a 1st semester person like me. :mrgreen:
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:26 pm">6 years ago</span> :lol: It's a real "Quotalogy", isn't it? And andmar is in his last semester. I saw that now: It doesn't carry over the original formatting in case there is any. So if the original had e. g. a bold word, it will be thin in the quotation - if you do it like a 1st semester person like me. :mrgreen:
Thanks filiarheni for your research. :)

Yes, but it's rather a "BBCode-logy" :lol: because it apparently applies to all BBCode "brackets" as I call them (or rather they should be called BBCode parenthesis :? ). So, if you want to preserve the formatting - you must quote the whole post (you can still delete parts of it afterwards), when you don't care about the formatting - you can use the easy way.

:lol: :lol: Anyway, I think, we are all experts now regarding this matter and there is no configuration we couldn't manage. :lol: :lol: