Language Packs

New features to Libera Dreams

Moderator: Moderators

paul
Site Admin

Language Packs

Post by paul »

I shall soon be installing other languages to make it a little easier for members whose first language is not English. Obviously, this will not translate the topic titles and posts, however the navigation controls will be in the selected language. I have installed the French language as a test, and I will be installing others very soon.

So far, these languages are available. I will update this list as I add more.

• American English
  • British English
  • Dutch
  • French
  • German
  • Italian
  • Mandarin Chinese (Simplified script)
  • Spanish
  • Russian

You can change your default language from your user control panel under Board preferences, as shown below.

cp.jpg
cp.jpg (124.7 KiB) Viewed 21973 times
cp.jpg
cp.jpg (124.7 KiB) Viewed 21973 times

Here is a list of available Language Packs, however some will not be available yet as Libera dreams has just been updated to a new version.

If you would like a language pack installed, please can you request it here and I will check that it is available and compatible with Libera Dreams.

Cheers,

Paul :)
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
theforestdweller
Silver Member

Re: Language Packs.

Post by theforestdweller »

Mandarin Chinese (Simplified) would be a welcome addition in this household :) . My Wife is Chinese born and English is (still) very much a second language to her. She is an ardent Libera fan, as much as I am, so she would love being able to use her native language.

A very much minority request I suspect :D
Last edited by paul on Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed subject to reflect new location of this post.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe" - Einstein
paul
Site Admin

Re: Language Packs.

Post by paul »

theforestdweller wrote: Mandarin Chinese (Simplified) would be a welcome addition in this household :) . My Wife is Chinese born and English is (still) very much a second language to her. She is an ardent Libera fan, as much as I am, so she would love being able to use her native language.

A very much minority request I suspect :D
I have now enabled Mandarin Chinese (Simplified).
It is a very simple and quick task to install new languages, and I have no issue with adding them per request.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

- Plato
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Re: Language Packs

Post by TullyBascombe »

That is amazing. I regret that I can't take that feature with me to other forums. Prior to Windows 10 I could use Google Translate, but the browser included with Windows 10, Microsoft Edge isn't compatible with Google Translate.
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

I was hoping to enable Japanese language, but at this moment the language pack is unavailable for this version of the board, it has not been updated since 2013, so I do not see it becoming available any time soon.

Sorry. :(

- Plato
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Separate language packs for British and American English? Is that to ensure that the silverware is place properly?
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:35 am">7 years ago</span> Separate language packs for British and American English? Is that to ensure that the silverware is place properly?
Its actually quite surprising how many words are miss spelled in American English :lol:

The wiki Article on the subject is vast, the differences are such that the developers felt a separate language pack was needed.

- Plato
TimS_TheToolman

Post by TimS_TheToolman »

paul wrote: <span title="Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:36 am">7 years ago</span>
TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:35 am">7 years ago</span> Separate language packs for British and American English? Is that to ensure that the silverware is place properly?
Its actually quite surprising how many words are miss spelled in American English :lol:

The wiki Article on the subject is vast, the differences are such that the developers felt a separate language pack was needed.

Since there are so many miss spelled words in American English, would you be doing us a service by using only the British English pack so we Yanks can learn the correct spellings? :mrgreen: Personally, I don't mind the British version, I've learned to deal with the extra letters in word. Not sure how spell check would like it. :lol:

Thank you for your hard work on this project. I like the new look. :D
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

TimS_TheToolman wrote: <span title="Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:23 pm">7 years ago</span>
paul wrote: <span title="Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:36 am">7 years ago</span>

Since there are so many miss spelled words in American English, would you be doing us a service by using only the British English pack so we Yanks can learn the correct spellings? :mrgreen: Personally, I don't mind the British version, I've learned to deal with the extra letters in word. Not sure how spell check would like it. :lol:

Thank you for your hard work on this project. I like the new look. :D
I'm glad you took my comment in its intended context.<GB-EN>Banter</GB-EN>

The new look was not intended, but was essential to fix the problems created by the latest update. I think with a few more tweaks, it may actually be quite workable. I'm glad you like it. Feedback is essential right now, what works for me, may not work for others. This is a community owned portal, so I feel its very important for everyone to have a say about how things look, feel, and functions.

Cheers.

- Plato