1 Hour compilation of SPBC / early Libera

Talk about Libera Videos, Movies and Photos here.

Moderator: Moderators

maartendas
Diamond Member

1 Hour compilation of SPBC / early Libera

Post by maartendas »

Just found this one hour long compilation of St. Philip's Boys Choir and early Libera performances. Including the Thora on the Straight and Narrow appearances and some rare footage too, I think.
Gives you an insight in the creativity of the really early days. Different costumes, original camera work etc. And a very colourful mix of songs. I have a soft spot for their first era so this is like a kind of treasure trove for me :) Going to watch the whole thing later.

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]

ETA: I'm going to see if I can make a list of the songs in the order in which they appear in the video, but I don't think I know all of them, so any help with that is welcome :)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: 1 Hour compilation of SPBC / early Libera

Post by Yorkie »

1. Amazing Grace
2. Christopher Robin is saying his Prayers
3. Close Every Door to Me
4. Dies Irae (have to say I had never seen that before and really liked it
5. We Beseech Thee (oh dear :shock: )
6. How Can I Keep From Singing
7. Morning Has Broken (nice arrangement I thought)
8. Pie Jesu
9. Dies Irae (again, same clip. Why?)
10. De Profundis (aka Libera :D )
11. Love Lifts Us Up
12. Panis Angelicus
13. Salva Me
14. One Day (what gives with the Masonic symbology?)
15. Be Still (for the presence of the Lord is here)
16. Day by Day
17. Footprints
18. Gaudete
19. God Rest You Merry Gentlemen
20. One Voice
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Hey, thanks! :)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thanks! I've seen most of those before but never in a nice compilation like that :D

Yorkie, I believe that Dies Irae is from Mozart's requiem. Didn't the St Phillip's Choir (in that role and with their full members; as opposed to just the Libera part) perform the entire Mozart requiem or some other major Mozart work within the last few years at their Church? I recall reading about it, but I cannot remember where. That would be amazing to hear!
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Thanks for the nice compilation Maartendas. Nothing new for me, but makes me think that it is time for "Libera" (De Profundis) to be re-introduced into the concert program. Would also like to see Lloyd-Webber's Piu Jesu added - TDL as soloist of course.
With a little tweaking "Day by Day" (perfect for Isaac) and "Footprints" would also be nice additions.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Surpinto wrote:Thanks! I've seen most of those before but never in a nice compilation like that :D

Yorkie, I believe that Dies Irae is from Mozart's requiem. Didn't the St Phillip's Choir (in that role and with their full members; as opposed to just the Libera part) perform the entire Mozart requiem or some other major Mozart work within the last few years at their Church? I recall reading about it, but I cannot remember where. That would be amazing to hear!
The version of Dies Irae in these clips was performed for a 1990's British TV Program called Thora Hind - On The Straight and Narrow.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

TullyBascombe wrote:
Surpinto wrote:Thanks! I've seen most of those before but never in a nice compilation like that :D

The version of Dies Irae in these clips was performed for a 1990's British TV Program called Thora Hind - On The Straight and Narrow.
Yeah, I know, I was referring just to the original composition of that particular piece of music that Yorkie has never heard them sing before. Mozart's requiem is considered to be an excellent piece of work. I know they did some sort of mass or other major Mozart work at their church (not televised of course) in the last year or two.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Surpinto wrote:Didn't the St Phillip's Choir (in that role and with their full members; as opposed to just the Libera part) perform the entire Mozart requiem or some other major Mozart work within the last few years at their Church? I recall reading about it, but I cannot remember where. That would be amazing to hear!
It was indeed amazing.

DSC01242ab.jpg
DSC01242ab.jpg (242 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
DSC01242ab.jpg
DSC01242ab.jpg (242 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
DSC01243ab.jpg
DSC01243ab.jpg (244.19 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
DSC01243ab.jpg
DSC01243ab.jpg (244.19 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
DSC01244ab.jpg
DSC01244ab.jpg (248.44 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
DSC01244ab.jpg
DSC01244ab.jpg (248.44 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Wow! Thank you so much for uploading that program. :D

I knew I wasn't imagining things and I only wish I had been there with you as Mozart's requiem is an incredible work of music in it's own right; certainly more so when performed by an excellent choir.

That's so cool! :)
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Hi Surpinto,

Sorry if I wasn't clear but I meant that video clip as opposed to the the music itself. But yes, it would be nice to hear the modern Libera do it again. I have seen St Philip's choir do a couple of different Requiems but can't for the life of me remember if I was at the one John posted about in March 2013!!! Probably not if I can't remember.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
henrylonghorn

Post by henrylonghorn »

maartendas wrote:Just found this one hour long compilation of St. Philip's Boys Choir and early Libera performances. Including the Thora on the Straight and Narrow appearances and some rare footage too, I think.
Gives you an insight in the creativity of the really early days. Different costumes, original camera work etc. And a very colourful mix of songs. I have a soft spot for their first era so this is like a kind of treasure trove for me :) Going to watch the whole thing later.
Thanks for sharing this find! I just recently acquired the Angel Voices 1 CD so it's great to see the the video enactments. :D

They were definitely quite creative back then. I see that, nowadays, some of that creativity has been sacrificed for more professionalism. The shift is sensible because of how accessible sites like YouTube are and how global their audience is; even small missteps/misjudgments could be detrimental.

That said, Mr. Prizeman could perhaps redo some of the older and lighthearted songs with the current boys. I feel that the most recent music videos are invariably serious in focus (emigration, child labor, WWI casualties).
john45 wrote: It was indeed amazing.
That's a breathtaking list of choristers! I could only wish to see/hear them all in one place.

Just wondering, are performances like this usually open to the public?
Hark, we hear a distant music and it comes with fuller swell
’tis the glorious song of heaven and our fears it will dispel.

Concerts attended: 8 | Last concert: NYC (2023)

https://twitter.com/HenryLiberaBlog
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOluil ... dUezvPVhDA
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

henrylonghorn wrote:
That said, Mr. Prizeman could perhaps redo some of the older and lighthearted songs with the current boys. I feel that the most recent music videos are invariably serious in focus (emigration, child labor, WWI casualties).
john45 wrote: It was indeed amazing.
That's a breathtaking list of choristers! I could only wish to see/hear them all in one place.

Just wondering, are performances like this usually open to the public?
Come to think of it, the music videos of late have been somber. As for the Requiems, my understanding is that they are open to the public, have to buy a ticket, though.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

alcesalcesobservator wrote: As for the Requiems, my understanding is that they are open to the public, have to buy a ticket, though.
Both the Mozart and Faure requiems were fundraisers for specific purposes. Mozart for vestry renovations and Faure for organ repairs. They were open to the public but not widely advertised. I cannot remember the ticket price but it was very reasonable. Most attendees were the usual church congregation, friends and family of the choristers and a few obsessive Libera fans such as yours truly. A voluntary collection was also taken after the performances. Other special services (Passiontide, Nine Lessons & Carols etc) are open to the public and free though a voluntary collection is sometimes taken. Again, they are mostly attended by the usual congregation and friends and families of the choristers
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

henrylonghorn wrote:
Come to think of it, the music videos of late have been somber.

Then Orinoco Flow it is! They already have a ship!