Finally getting to the introduction . . .

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

EternalLight3105

Finally getting to the introduction . . .

Post by EternalLight3105 »

I thought I would take the time to introduce myself formally to the forum.

I first found out about Libera on October 26, 2012. I was browsing through YouTube and noticed one of their videos in the sidebar: Sanctus. I listened to that, and, eager to hear more, looked them up. I found a full concert video of their 2007 concert in Leiden and fell in love with their voices and the way they presented themselves on the stage. The first song that stuck out to me from that video was their theme song Libera. I loved the way that the soloist (whom I later found out was named Liam Connery) sang that song and it became my favorite of the bunch. I enjoyed Stay With Me also because of Liam. I watched their concert video again and again and eventually started listening to some of their other songs. For a time, my favorites were Liam Connery, Josh Madine, Tom Cully, Ed Day, and Ben Philipp (Mini Ben).

As of now, my favorite soloist is probably Ben Crawley. His voice was so pure and . . . I don't know. Beautiful I guess. I especially love his When A Knight Won His Spurs recorded on Songs of Praise back in 2003, Twilight from Free, and Semele from Luminosa. However, every solo by him is beautiful. I must say that my favorite soloists keep on changing. Perhaps Big Ben is at the top, but I also love the five mentioned above along with Steven Geraghty, Liam O'Kane (I've been listening to him a lot lately), Ralph Skan, and Stefan Leadbeater. Those soloists would be in my top ten. Other favorites include Michael Horncastle, Daniel Fontannaz, and Oliver Putland. All of them were brilliant soloists in my opinion.

As for favorite songs, I have always loved Sancte and Sempiterna. I also love Attendite, Wings of a Dove, Ave Maria (Caccini), Time, Still, Still, Still, Carol of the Bells, and, of course, Eternal Light. Actually, though, I love all of their songs and it is nearly impossible to pick a favorite. I suppose it depends on what mood I am in. Sometimes I like to listen to the more upbeat songs, but other times I like the soothing, peaceful ones.

Unfortunately, I have never been to any of their concerts. By the time I found out about them, most if not all of my favorite soloists were already gone and they haven't been to the U.S. for a few years. Hopefully they come this year, although with my luck it will be during finals week. I am also curious to see what will be on their upcoming CD. I have not yet heard some of their more recent songs that they have been singing at their concerts so hopefully they will make them available to everyone by recording it for a CD.

Ever since I found out about Libera, I have browsed the Internet for more information about them. I found this forum to be the best one out of all of them. I think it would be a shame if this wonderful website were to be shut down. I must admit that I was lurking for quite a few months before deciding to join. I already know that there are very kind people on here and I appreciate their thoughtfulness and generosity.

So, that's my experience with Libera. Hardly a day has gone by that I haven't listened to them. I find their voices peaceful and soothing and it helps me relax when I get stressed in life. I also have a big interest in lyrics of songs so it is interesting to see the translations of Latin into English. Their songs have piqued my interest in learning Latin and I may take a course or two of it in the near future.

I realize this is a really long introduction. Sorry about that. :oops: I tend to ramble. Now I just have to wait for Yorkie's traditional welcome. :lol: :D

God Bless,
EternalLight3105
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: Finally getting to the introduction . . .

Post by Yorkie »

Welcome,welcome, welcome.

Only found them a year ago and already the owner of a signed CD (once Paul has popped down to the Post Office)! I wouldn't worry too much about them not having visited the USA for a while - I suspect they may change that this year :wink: Don't know when your finals are but any tour will be predictable - the UK school holidays at Easter and/or the last week of July/first two weeks of August & the last week of October.

The thing about following Libera is that whatever the talent of the past boys there are always some new ones to come along and wow us again. The current line up has quite a few stars in the making but of course the group is always more than the sum of it's parts. Hopefully you'll get to see them live this year and you can the report back on the current lads in a nice write up for all us stay at home fans.

Now, I'm sure there was something else....oh yes......

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
EternalLight3105

Re: Finally getting to the introduction . . .

Post by EternalLight3105 »

Thanks for the welcome, Yorkie. I suppose you're right about the tours being predictable. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for any upcoming announcements concerning those. I also agree that more new talents keep coming to Libera. Even the list of my top ten soloists come from all different "Libera generations." Needless to say, I'm excited to see what this year brings.