Greetings from the frozen North

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

PaulWSpaceRockDodger

Greetings from the frozen North

Post by PaulWSpaceRockDodger »

Warmest greetings to my fellow Libera fans from a very cold location in Canada (where the predicted wind chill tomorrow is minus 36 degrees Celsius!). I have been following Libera for about five years, and have attended one of their concerts. In addition, my wife and I have been able to visit Libera's home base at St. Philip's Norbury parish in south London. In our view, boys' choirs make a unique contribution to choral music and also fulfill a valuable cultural role by providing a channel for the social formation of young men in a Christian context. There are not many boys' choirs left, so I hope that Libera fans will do everything possible to support the continued success of this extraordinary choir --- and maybe even encourage the formation of similar choirs in other locations. I have lived in eight countries and we might eventually move to the UK, so perhaps one day we will be able to see Libera more often, but wherever we live, we look forward to enjoying more music from Libera under the brilliant leadership of Robert Prizeman.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: Greetings from the frozen North

Post by Yorkie »

Hello Paul and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you'll be needing the thermals!

As the Dodger says, "welcome"....

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
PaulWSpaceRockDodger

Many thanks, Yorkie. Much appreciated! :)
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Belated greetings Paul, which space rock did you dodge? Chelbyansk?
PaulWSpaceRockDodger

Hi Tully. Thanks for your message (sorry for my delay in replying). Yes, promoting public awareness about the need to build systems to detect/deflect dangerous "spacerocks" (asteroids) is one of my other interests in life --- i.e. in addition to choral music. (For more information on dodging spacerocks, see the B612 Foundation's website.) I'm optimistic that humans will resolve this issue, and in this connection I hope that a composer will eventually write a suitably triumphant piece of choral music about the successful protection of our planet that could be sung by a choir whose wonderful songs are "out of this world" --- Libera!
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Hi Paul.

Sorry but also belated greeting from myself.

You sound a bit like me with your intrest in choral music, then at the other end of the scope, your intrest in space rock dodging. Well my other related intrest is Astronomy, and physics. Yep, we need to discover these bad boys early to have even the smallest chance to deflect theses. The scientists and theorists are working hard out there.

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
PaulWSpaceRockDodger

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your message, and thanks also for the NASA video. I'm delighted to learn that we share this unusual combination of interests. In my twitter account ( @SpacerockDodger) I recently noted in a tweet to my little band of "followers" that they consisted of two quite distinct groups --- choir fans and asteroid-hunters --- and that I therefore wanted to extend New Year's Greetings in a way that bridged the gap between them. My formula: "Best wishes for a chorally-uplifting and asteroid-free New Year!"

Speaking of twitter, I have added my name to your list of followers. I look forward to reading your tweets & also to exchanging information and comments on Libera in Libera Dreams (where our messages fortunately are not limited to 140 characters!).
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

PaulWSpaceRockDodger wrote: & also to exchanging information and comments on Libera in Libera Dreams (where our messages fortunately are not limited to 140 characters!).
That is a really good a valid point. More and more fans seem to be using Twitter theses days, but it is extremely limited, and have you ever tried reading a tweet older that a week or more. Almost impossible to find :?
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato