Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Music & the Monarchy

Post by Yorkie »

New BBC series started last week that might be of interest to choir fans:

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
paul
Site Admin

Re: Music & the Monarchy

Post by paul »

Thanks Yorkie, Most interesting.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Very interesting. I take it there are more episodes to follow?
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Yes, there are more episodes to come but looking at the adverts for future episodes this one seems to be the only one about choirs - I'll keep my on it though and if any other episodes are decent I'll try and link to them.

Mercy & Love
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Judging from the ending of the first episode I'd guess the second one would include Henry Purcell. At some point I'd guess the series would include Hayden. Both would be worthwhile.
Lumi
Silver Member

Post by Lumi »

Thanks a lot Yorkie for sharing the link – no doubt I would have missed this otherwise. King's College Choir sound really great on Byrd, and no complaints about the rest of it either. :D

Now I definitely could be wrong about this, but are there at least two ex King's soloists (Once in Royal David's 2010 & 2011) now in the Eton Chapel Choir? The other doing the "discant" about halfway through the documentary.

Hopefully this won't indeed be the only episode with cathedral and chapel choirs – I don't see how they possibly could talk about Purcell without featuring choral music (or the following 300 years of English music, to that matter :lol: ), but of course they could be using chamber choirs for that purpose.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Lumi wrote:Now I definitely could be wrong about this, but are there at least two ex King's soloists (Once in Royal David's 2010 & 2011) now in the Eton Chapel Choir? The other doing the "discant" about halfway through the documentary.
I'm sure you are right about those boys - King's boys do tend to end up with a place at one of the countries top public schools (aka private in American English) and of course there are strong links between the two. Incidentally, the cost of sending your 13 year old son to Eton? About £32,000 a year or almost $50,000 - although I suspect the boys from King's college choir will get a place on a music scholarship and therefore will pay from 0% - 90% of that fee. Then there are other charges on top....

Part 2 here:

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
Last edited by Yorkie on Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mercy & Love
Lumi
Silver Member

Post by Lumi »

Ah, brilliant, thank you. I thought I had already looked for the second part on the channel, but apparently not.

Yes, I guess it's not exactly surprising that these boys end up getting some serious scholarships. Good for them. :D