Olympics 2012

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

maartendas
Diamond Member

Olympics 2012

Post by maartendas »

I saw the opening ceremony last night and really liked it. It was spectacular but never overblown, very dynamic and creative and even funny.
Just a real pity that Libera was not a part of it (I knew they wouldn't be, but still). They would have fitted perfectly, because children and music were both running themes. If they had been the ones to sing Abide With Me during the choreography at the end of the show it would have been truly a magical moment...

Anyway, here's a place to share all your Olympic thoughts.

And for those in London looking for inspiration after all the perspiration, this is a great way to do so: http://www.london.anglican.org/NewsShow_16750
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
LennesSL
Silver Member

Re: Olympics 2012

Post by LennesSL »

Totally Agree.. Especially when "Abide with me" was started I thought Libera would fit in perfectly..
Life is but a journey
Tides are always turning
Seasons come and go here but you’ll never be alone here
theforestdweller
Silver Member

Post by theforestdweller »

The fact of Libera being an all boys choir would possibly be against them. A mixed choir sends a better message of inclusiveness and equality for such an event.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe" - Einstein
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

theforestdweller, that's actually quite a sound statement that I hadn't thought of yet.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

I bought the CD of the opening ceremony music today and it got me to thinking about who the kid was who sang the opening solo to Jerusalem:

Who was that kid?

I found on YouTube the official olympic channel that has the full opening ceremony (hope it works outside the UK):

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]

There will be a DVD released in October with the full opening & closing ceremony on featuring Danny Boyle's Directors cut - I think I'll get it :D

Amazon DVD
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Thanks for these memories :)
The video works fine, except you need to watch on YT as they don't allow embedding.
That DVD sounds like a perfect gift, I was hoping they would release it :)

As a nice coincidence, I'll be at the official welcoming ceremony tomorrow of the Dutch paralympic team, to write a report for a sport-themed issue of a literary magazine :)
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote:Thanks for these memories :)
The video works fine, except you need to watch on YT as they don't allow embedding.
That DVD sounds like a perfect gift, I was hoping they would release it :)

As a nice coincidence, I'll be at the official welcoming ceremony tomorrow of the Dutch paralympic team, to write a report for a sport-themed issue of a literary magazine :)
Good luck with your report. Can't be too long to go before your King's concert :D
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love