Summer 2012 Concerts - Jersey and Guernsey

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

maartendas
Diamond Member

Re: Summer 2012 Concerts - Jersey and Guernsey

Post by maartendas »

HarryJamesSnr wrote: If I were them I'd have this church appearance up on their site and across the various social media platforms before anyone else, but it is usually the other way around with them these days!
HJ - singing in Mass is NOT a means of promotion or an alternative type of concert. It's participating in a service of worship, open and welcoming to all who wish to join but NOT at all the same as singing in a real concert. Not all fans understand this unfortunately, which can cause considerable concern for the boys who do not always sing in the best conditions but are being confronted with an audience listening as if they were attending an actual concert. Even more so when recordings of such events are made and distributed and then commented on. It's nice that die-hard fans now know about this appearance, but my advice to all is: please respect the nature of the event if you intend to go there. And preferably no recordings.

As for your comment about the boys parading around the island like a walking ad campaign - I really can't take it seriously. The boys will hopefully have a wonderful and well deserved vacation with great moments to enjoy (I sometimes wish I could be their age again, it must be great sharing all these experiences with their friends/peers) and if they do want to grab any moments of extra promotion they will put some boys forward to do media interviews and stuff like they always have done.
Please let the boys be boys... It's amazing enough to see them in concert, and if there's a Meet & Greet then that's a nice extra treat but... why ask for so much more...
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

maartendas i could not agree more.

This is a holiday get away for the boys and i dont think its of any real concern if it sells out or not. They are there anyway!!
HarryJamesSnr

Post by HarryJamesSnr »

Absolutely in agreement, but, it is important for Libera to sell a certain percentage (usually 75%) of seats otherwise financial problems kick in. Bear in mind the cost of flights and accommodating the boys even in a relatively short-hop tour like this one!

It's just that I think the boys would do a good job of self-promotion on this particular tour, given the location and the fact that they have the potential to promote themselves and the Libera brand to a new set of people, i.e. tourists from all over the world, instead of bunches of screaming teenagers (like they get in Japan and the Philippines), or the 50% of the audience that attends most of their UK concerts who are always well known fans, or in the Americas where they remain relatively unknown outside of their fan base there.

They don't have to do this all the time they are on the Islands, but it would work, given my knowledge of these Islands. It has to be remembered that the Channel Islands are different from mainland UK in a lot of ways, they rely on tourism more so than any other location where Libera have given concerts before now....

I spoke today to one of my relatives on the Islands, who assures me she has been trying to promote the concerts as much as she can. She's been in touch with the bus companies on both Islands, in an attempt to get them to place a poster up on each vehicle for a few days..... It's a start!

HJ
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

A spot of promotion involving the boys engaging with people to tell them about their concert is not unknown - Edinburgh in 2009 anybody?

I won't be arriving until Tuesday so won't be attending the service although I wonder if they will do the same the following Sunday on Guernsey, in which case I could be persuaded to attend.

Putting tour posters up on buses is a great idea. Also, if your relative could identify the hotels favoured by large groups of pensioners on organised trips that would be an ideal 'Libera friendly' audience. A few posters and a word with hotel staff to push the old dears in the right direction...............
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
HarryJamesSnr

Post by HarryJamesSnr »

URGENT!

Both bus companies have agreed to place A4 posters on every single bus on the island........... BUT they want the posters supplied.........!

Sadly neither myself nor my relative on the island have the means to be able to print these posters off. Is anyone on here in touch with Libera management directly or who would be able to bring either printed posters or the file across to the island to get them printed there? The sooner the better......

HJ
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

HarryJamesSnr wrote:URGENT!

Both bus companies have agreed to place A4 posters on every single bus on the island........... BUT they want the posters supplied.........!

Sadly neither myself nor my relative on the island have the means to be able to print these posters off. Is anyone on here in touch with Libera management directly or who would be able to bring either printed posters or the file across to the island to get them printed there? The sooner the better......

HJ
Harry, you can contact Libera management via their website:

http://www.libera.org.uk/contact

Why not send them an email stating that you would like to help promote the concert and asking them if they have a local contact who has some posters/flyers that they could let you have to distribute with the coach companies.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
HarryJamesSnr

Post by HarryJamesSnr »

All sorted :D

Certainly, every bus on Guernsey should have a poster installed by the end of this week at the latest. Not sure about Jersey yet! This should attract both locals and tourists alike!

I can see the Guernsey concerts selling more tickets than Jersey at this rate, which is silly given that Jersey is the larger of the two Islands!

HJ
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

I imagine Libera may need additional information if they can make some posters printed urgently by a printer there.

Do you know how many buses this represents ? And the suitable poster size ?
Do you know where, when and to who give the posters to be installed on time ?
HarryJamesSnr

Post by HarryJamesSnr »

For Jersey, bus advertising is handled by Julie Littlemore of the Island's Marketing Department...... have had no response to emails I have been sending to her and she hasn't been in when my local contact there has been trying to find her. Headway are sorting out the posters for the Guernsey bus fleet as we speak. The sooner anyone can sort something out on Jersey, the better....

Posters need to be A4 and double sided. There are 41 buses on Guernsey and at least 50 on Jersey, maybe more. This sort of advertising will attract both locals and tourists alike!

HJ
labbie

Post by labbie »

On page 7 of this current thread, I mentioned another group of performers who used an audiovisual approach to promotion of upcoming shows. It's just an idea, perhaps not very practical in this case, but if anyone can arrange to go to specific locations in Jersey or Guernsey, or knows of someone who lives or works in either of these locations, and can actually set up and play a DVD of Libera performances (music videos or concert footage), it might be a more convincing method of promotion. Music shops, hotels, churches, especially during social times after Sunday services, or other likely public locations could be considered. I wonder how many people in the Channel Islands (residents and tourists) have actually heard of Libera, or heard their music. People might be persuaded to attend concerts if they were able to see and hear Libera, as opposed to merely looking at a poster. I am not being dismissive of putting up posters - they bring about awareness, but hearing Libera would take the PR effort one step further. I would also suggest that it would be advisable to obtain permission from the Libera organization as a courtesy to them before doing this. They may even have a press kit that could be used. Again, I know that my ideas may be somewhat impractical, but if anything like this could be done, it certainly couldn't hurt the cause. Regretfully, I myself cannot do this; I live in Canada, and unfortunately because of other commitments, will not be able to attend this tour, but my best wishes go out to Libera and to anyone who is involved in helping to make the upcoming tour a success.
worshipper28
Silver Member

Post by worshipper28 »

Kavana Crossley ‏@KavC_Official
Going off to channel islands now, hope to see some of you! :') adios!
Daniel Fontannaz ‏@DFontzzz
Will be away for quite some time, so I won't be tweeting
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

This would most likely rule out any 'live' participation in tomorrow's Olympic Opening Ceremony - although I do know children's choirs have been recorded singing their various national anthems.... not sure who the English choir are going to be.

Good luck to libera on their Channel Island tour.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

JimmyRiddle wrote:This would most likely rule out any 'live' participation in tomorrow's Olympic Opening Ceremony - although I do know children's choirs have been recorded singing their various national anthems.... not sure who the English choir are going to be.

Good luck to libera on their Channel Island tour.

Was it not said on here months ago they had not been asked to participate and they was disappointed but there was no chance of them being involved in the games.
HarryJamesSnr

Post by HarryJamesSnr »

They will however be back in London in time for the Closing Ceremony........! But whether they are involved remains to be seen. Right now they have arrived onto Jersey and are busy presumably rehearsing & sightseeing at the same time. I am sure they will be having a great time. Whether all concerts will become sell-outs also remains to be seen, I think we have done our best to help as far as that is concerned!

HJ
LennesSL
Silver Member

Post by LennesSL »

Very curious to hear which members are in this tour and which are not... Does anybody know anything already?? :D
Life is but a journey
Tides are always turning
Seasons come and go here but you’ll never be alone here