Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

dani
Diamond Member

Re: Singapore Concert 2012

Post by dani »

JimmyRiddle wrote:
Yorkie wrote:On balance, I like more of the outs than the ins :(
Kind of agree with you there. If I was going to Arundel in May I would want Mysterium and Always with You on the set list that's for sure, and wouldn't mind to much if I Vow to Thee and Far Away were omitted in their place. Then again I would like to hear Isaac's solo, so it's a tricky one.

I loved I vow to thee when i heard it but i agree about Far Away.

I can see why with younger boys they have taken out Mysterium as it just would not work as well as Mysterium is all about the atmosphere and staging. I cant see it working as well with the current crop of boys.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

JimmyRiddle wrote:Kind of agree with you there. If I was going to Arundel in May I would want Mysterium and Always with You on the set list that's for sure, and wouldn't mind to much if I Vow to Thee and Far Away were omitted in their place. Then again I would like to hear Isaac's solo, so it's a tricky one.
Pretty much with you there Jimmy - I'm no lover of Vow and Dies Irae is hmmmh. Must put Mysterium back for Arundel (although I do think that it has less impact in a concert venue and I seem to think it has been dropped from certain venues in the past only to reappear the next time they performed in a church/cathedral). I also grew quite partial to Lamentione although it does share a lot of similarities with Mysterium and if I could only have one it would be the big 'M'.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Yorkie wrote:
JimmyRiddle wrote:Kind of agree with you there. If I was going to Arundel in May I would want Mysterium and Always with You on the set list that's for sure, and wouldn't mind to much if I Vow to Thee and Far Away were omitted in their place. Then again I would like to hear Isaac's solo, so it's a tricky one.
Pretty much with you there Jimmy - I'm no lover of Vow and Dies Irae is hmmmh. Must put Mysterium back for Arundel (although I do think that it has less impact in a concert venue and I seem to think it has been dropped from certain venues in the past only to reappear the next time they performed in a church/cathedral). I also grew quite partial to Lamentione although it does share a lot of similarities with Mysterium and if I could only have one it would be the big 'M'.

For shame not liking Dies Irae :evil:

I also liked Lamentione :D
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

dani wrote:I can see why with younger boys they have taken out Mysterium as it just would not work as well as Mysterium is all about the atmosphere and staging. I cant see it working as well with the current crop of boys.
Yep, you could be onto something there. It would still rank high in my list of top song preference though. Lauren's has written another great concert review on the Mini Angels blog. I Vow to Thee made quite an impression.
Yorkie wrote:Pretty much with you there Jimmy - I'm no lover of Vow and Dies Irae is hmmmh. Must put Mysterium back for Arundel (although I do think that it has less impact in a concert venue and I seem to think it has been dropped from certain venues in the past only to reappear the next time they performed in a church/cathedral). I also grew quite partial to Lamentione although it does share a lot of similarities with Mysterium and if I could only have one it would be the big 'M'.
Yep, thinking about it - Mysterium always works better in church/cathedral with the gothic architecture & organ complementing the setup. At least we were there at Edinburgh '09 (Ed Day). Never to be forgotten.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

JimmyRiddle wrote: Yep, you could be onto something there. It would still rank high in my list of top song preference though. Lauren's has written another great concert review on the Mini Angels blog. I Vow to Thee made quite an impression.
Yorkie wrote:Pretty much with you there Jimmy - I'm no lover of Vow and Dies Irae is hmmmh. Must put Mysterium back for Arundel (although I do think that it has less impact in a concert venue and I seem to think it has been dropped from certain venues in the past only to reappear the next time they performed in a church/cathedral). I also grew quite partial to Lamentione although it does share a lot of similarities with Mysterium and if I could only have one it would be the big 'M'.
Yep, thinking about it - Mysterium always works better in church/cathedral with the gothic architecture & organ complementing the setup. At least we were there at Edinburgh '09 (Ed Day). Never to be forgotten.

I loved that version of Ed's at Arundel as i missed Scotland - but Stefan and Ralph Arundel also runs close for me. I loved Stefan walking down and them going back and forth, calling to each other. Truly st unning the staging on that version.

Great review by Lexi's mum. I am so excited for Aunrdel now.
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

xsakurax wrote:Really excited! About to start in 30mins! Anyone else is there already?
We're with you in spirit xsakurax! :mrgreen:
I'm happy for you to finally get to see Libera live!
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

JimmyRiddle wrote:
Yorkie wrote:On balance, I like more of the outs than the ins :(
Kind of agree with you there. If I was going to Arundel in May I would want Mysterium and Always with You on the set list that's for sure, and wouldn't mind to much if I Vow to Thee and Far Away were omitted in their place. Then again I would like to hear Isaac's solo, so it's a tricky one.
Agree with Yorkie's original sentiment.

Always with You has proven difficult to perform live; with Freddie being gone now
I'm not surprised it was cut, I just hope they can find someone to master it again soon as it's one of my very favorites.

Mysterium (2010 version in general - Fort Worth performance in particular) was my absolute favorite live performance so I'm really sorry to see it go.

The thing I do like about most of the ins are that they are songs I haven't seen performed live before or they feature
solos from soloists I haven't seen perform before.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

I was really excited for a few minutes to see Faithful Heart on the setlist then sad when it turned out not to be the case. But happy again now that I realise we have a 'new' song to look forward to.
I for one am really excited about Far Away being on the setlist as I was particularly touched by it recently when I re-watched the Leiden DVD. It's such a tender and precious song and it seems like the mark of an exceptional soloist if you master it. So I'm excited for Isaac.
Plus I really like Do Not Stand and I Vow to Thee - classic melodies that work everytime. I wonder how the live music arrangement is done for Do Not Stand as I always fall in love with the harp on the studio recording.
All in all the setlist has a good variation I think.
And the best news for me: Ralph still sings Song of Life :D
(ofcourse all my comments about the setlist are because I hope it will predict the one in Arundel ;))

PS: How was Ave Verum without the lower parts?
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
worshipper28
Silver Member

Post by worshipper28 »

I read the report on the French forum from Fan_de _Lok and I agree with the words of Bullyhenka
""Thank you very much fan of Lok! We feel great emotion that emerged during the concert. I confirm you are very lucky to live these moments!""
See with google translation
http://libera-passion.exprimetoi.net/t8 ... avril-2012
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Anyways, just a really short review. My first Libera live in concert performance had been really awesome. Such a privilege to be there last night, especially having the quite front centre view of the boys. I really commend the boys for a very excellent performance last night, I can imagine anyone being on that stage with so many audience infront of them would have been very very nervous... and in fact I was really really nervous for them...

It definitely requires alot of courage to be standing up there, and everyone did a really good job. They do look a little tired, probably due to jet lag and the time difference and all..and a couple of them were coughing during intervals for the transition of one song to the next.. and I'm actually quite impressed how they found their exact positions in the DARK! It was really dark!

This time round alot of the usual solos were supported by two or three individuals, which I guess was good to give more of the new and young boys some exposure. My favourites of the night were: Song of Life, Sanctus, I vow to Thee, Eternal light, Do not stand, Grateful heart, Far away, Glory to Thee and How Shall I sing That Majesty. But if I really had to pick just one (or two) between all those would be Eternal light and How Shall I Sing That Majesty. I was actually quite surprised that Stefan and Ralph could still sing quite their usual high range, similar to the videos a year back, but this time the tone is much of a mature quality and all. (Is that how you describe the tone?) Their control of the maturing voices were really good, especially Stefan since usually during this transition the voices would be especially hard to control. The boys really impressed me. Quite a number of the support for the solos were from Matthew Jensen, Dylan Duffy, Cassius and perhaps Barney. If I didn't see wrongly. I think Matthew was the one coughing quite badly for awhile inbetween the songs, but he did delivered his solo for I vow to thee very very well.

In conclusion, every dollar spent for the ticket was really worth it. Most importantly, I enjoyed my it very very much. All the boys did a really really good job! :)
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

xsakurax wrote:Anyways, just a really short review. My first Libera live in concert performance had been really awesome. Such a privilege to be there last night, especially having the quite front centre view of the boys. I really commend the boys for a very excellent performance last night, I can imagine anyone being on that stage with so many audience infront of them would have been very very nervous... and in fact I was really really nervous for them...

In conclusion, every dollar spent for the ticket was really worth it. Most importantly, I enjoyed my it very very much. All the boys did a really really good job! :)

Glad you enjoyed it and got to see them live - you always remember your first concert with fondness. Are you going to the second show tonight?
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Yorkie wrote:
xsakurax wrote:Anyways, just a really short review. My first Libera live in concert performance had been really awesome. Such a privilege to be there last night, especially having the quite front centre view of the boys. I really commend the boys for a very excellent performance last night, I can imagine anyone being on that stage with so many audience infront of them would have been very very nervous... and in fact I was really really nervous for them...

Glad you enjoyed it and got to see them live - you always remember your first concert with fondness. Are you going to the second show tonight?
Nope, I won't be going for the second show tonight.
LennesSL
Silver Member

Post by LennesSL »

Just to show I still alive and following from Ethiopia!! Love to see all the reviews.. And so jealous that everybody got to hear Isaac's voice, and Matthews voice.. AND STEFAN STILL HIGH and ralph.. But I'm loving every minute of reading it.. And feel some emotion to here!!! Hoping for a nice VID!!

Go on everybody with the reviews!!

:mrgreen:
Life is but a journey
Tides are always turning
Seasons come and go here but you’ll never be alone here
carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

Just got back from the second concert tonight and here are just some random notes:

- The hall was quite full. Not sold out, I think, but still looked full. Hope they met their targets for Singapore.
- The crowd is more middle-age (or so I think) compared to the Philippine crowd. A bit more subdued but still appreciative. There were a number of families attending the concert together.
- The post-concert autograph signing is also way less hectic than the ones I've been to in PICC. You can actually hear yourself here. :lol:
- Ralph did a very nice adlib during The Fountain today. Nice save.
- I'm always amazed at how low-key RP is during these events.
"I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!" - Melvin Udall

Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

Patrick has posted a nice M&G photo and additional comments about today's concert on French forum!

And probably most of you have checked Mini Angels blog again- plenty of high quality pictures there!
Thanks to Lauren :D