Concert in St George - London - Friday 25/11

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

john45
Gold Member

Re: Concert in St George - London - Friday 25/11

Post by john45 »

Murkskis wrote: Another good moment was a few seconds later. All the boys had taken their places, and then Cassius suddenly 'woke up', startled, removed the hood and quickly returned to his place.
In the most recent version (Cebu), when Cassius removed his hood, with wide eyes he looked slowly to both sides and then, with a sheepish grin on his face, slowly sidestepped back to his place. It got a lot of laughs.
I think Robert might have jumped the gun last night and started the introduction to "The Fountain" a lttle too early - cutting Cassius's routine short.

John
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

john45 wrote: In the most recent version (Cebu), when Cassius removed his hood, with wide eyes he looked slowly to both sides and then, with a sheepish grin on his face, slowly sidestepped back to his place. It got a lot of laughs.
I think Robert might have jumped the gun last night and started the introduction to "The Fountain" a lttle too early - cutting Cassius's routine short.

John
Oh, I can imagine that! :) But it was quite funny anyway!

Edit. I'll continue later! It's a bit late again :wink:
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

...as Murkskisi is currently providing a song-by-song run down (thanks to him, and the others)... I will keep my piece brief...

I paid the price somewhat for arriving a little late and joining the queue that spun it's way round the side of the Cathedral. That said considering I didn't leave my office of work in Manchester till 1pm that afternoon, a tram, train and tube journey +hotel check-in later I was more than happy to make the first half at all.

The reason I say paid the price, is because by the time I sat down I was towards the back of the cathedral a good 10 rows behind the sound mixing desk positioned at the half way point. The sound was not as loud back there and did feel a little 'muffled' especially during the first half. However there was a big improvement during the second half for us backbenchers lol. The small LCD screens attached to some of the pillars helped with the visual experience when they weren't cutting out or suffering from screen burn that is. The pictures behaved themselves for long enough to film Josh+Ralph's solo on Veni, Veni Emmanuel. Josh had the main solo with Ralph shadowing him on higher solo during the second verse. To say I was blown away is an understatement as others have paid homage too. Josh's composure and stage confidence is legendary, always has been from an early age, and it really reflects well on how he sings his solo and projects his emotions. If this proves to be his last 'Libera' solo he has gone out on a high that's for sure.

The four songs stood out for me were;

Still, still, still
Eternal Light
In Dulci Jubilo
...and the much talked about Veni, Veni Emmanuel. Oh and even I have to admit that their 'White Christmas' encore temporarily put me in the mood of Christmas. It was just stunning and you will struggle to witness a better live version of 'White Christmas' by any ensemble out there this season.

Stefan's voice is just pure gold at the moment, some say he has that classically trained 'treble' and his solo work is simply exquisite. Quite apt that Eoghan shared 'How Shall I Sing That Majesty' with Stefan because - fingers crossed for a long stint - I expect Eoghan will be following in the same mould as Stefan. Sterling work from Ralph once again, especially with 'Fountain' & 'Song of Life'

Although probably the surprise vocal of the evening was delivered from a lady who stood up during Mr Philipp's interval speech, shouting for him to come closer to the mic for the benefit of all the backbenchers who could not hear him. We most certainly didn't have a problem hearing her though! :o

In the end despite my unfavourable seat position I am glad I went, as always. Couldn't miss out on a 'Christmas' themed concert from Libera. The opportunity doesn't present itself to often.
Last edited by JimmyRiddle on Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
timjanni

Post by timjanni »

Thank you very much everyone for the reviews and reports. I couldn't make it and I really love reading all of it. :)

By rough estimation, what was the attendance in St. Georg?
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

JimmyRiddle wrote:In the end despite my unfavourable seat position I am glad I went, as always. Couldn't miss out on a 'Christmas' themed concert from Libera. The opportunity doesn't present itself to often.
It's a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Unless they do it again next year, then it becomes twice-in-a-lifetime. But probably not. :D

Thanks for the reports, guys! Yorkie is the only one who hasn't contributed, yet. Probably when he sobers up, eh? Where's that Yorkshite, err...Tyke? :wink:
Benj
Silver Member

Post by Benj »

Yeah i was wondering where Yorkie was too. You know it's really fun to read the reviews on a lazy Sunday morning while sipping on a hot choco. So thanks to Murkis, Dani, FDL who started it all, down to the last post by Jimmy.

Congratulations to Libera on yet another wonderful concert! It's probably hard to keep a very high standard with more newbies in but it seems everything is just getting better and better. Looking forward to more tv appearances this Christmas season.

And about Josh's incredible solo, i also want to say- I told you so! :lol:
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

fan_de_LoK wrote:The 5 newbies :
Misha Lieven, Oscar McFall, Michael Menezes, Bertie Smart, Lucas Wood
Does anyone know if Michael Menezes and Lucas Wood are related to Jakob? Is Bertie Smert related to Alfie Smart?
LuxVenit
Silver Member

Post by LuxVenit »

dani wrote:
LuxVenit wrote:Thirty four choristers with four never heard of newbies had to be fun as well. And the back row! I wonder if they'll keep that going. Do any of you concert veterans have any opinions about that? The larger back row I mean (just curious, and I don't want to digress from the topic here). Would "Veni Veni" have been better/worse/the same if Josh had "retired?" Keep in mind that I haven't heard the Libera version, as I've not gotten the album yet. *wipes away a tear*

Daniel's version is nice. I enjoy it. But Josh did add something to it , i will admit. The backrow for me is still too big i personally think. Just my opinion

You have

Josh
Jakob
Alex
Liam
Ben
JB
Tiarnan
Samuel

Soon to add Daniel.

That would be 9 members if the trend continues.
Thank you dani. Also, thanks to everyone else for sharing and reviewing who sang each solo. It's always interesting to keep track of who might be receiving a song from someone who's had it for awhile, or who's had it recorded on a CD. Kind of like a passing of the torch, so to speak. Fun to find out which boys' voices are going to work together, blend well, etc, like Daniel and Cassius on "Stay With Me." I'm excited to see if anything is posted on YouTube or released as a CD/DVD extra. And I'm VERY jealous of you lucky people who got to see and hear these Christmas concerts. :lol:
“My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary.” ― Martin Luther
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

Bertie Smart, if ever he is related to Alfie, is probably not a brother because why would Alfie leave the group if the family still lives near enough for his brother (IF he is a brother) to be in Libera. So my guess would be either a cousin or not a relative at all.
carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

JimmyRiddle wrote:In the end despite my unfavourable seat position I am glad I went, as always. Couldn't miss out on a 'Christmas' themed concert from Libera. The opportunity doesn't present itself to often.
A pity really that this beautiful set list is rather short-lived. And all the more special because of that.
"I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!" - Melvin Udall

dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

That was one of the reasons i decided to do the concert as it will be a whole new set-list next year. We was lucky we got a xmas concert so im glad i went.

I just hope we get a pre-Japan concert and Arundel makes a come back next year as i missed it this year and the people in the queue also was in favour of Arundel being a venue next year - so fingers crossed.

As the excuse this year was they want to spread it out in the U.K which never happened as they played St G's last year :mrgreen:
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

phlibera wrote:Bertie Smart, if ever he is related to Alfie, is probably not a brother because why would Alfie leave the group if the family still lives near enough for his brother (IF he is a brother) to be in Libera. So my guess would be either a cousin or not a relative at all.

Maybe he just did not want to be in the choir anymore or his voice broke ( i cant remember his age) or school work. You do not leave just because you move house. As you get older other priority's play a part.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

TullyBascombe wrote:
fan_de_LoK wrote:The 5 newbies :
Misha Lieven, Oscar McFall, Michael Menezes, Bertie Smart, Lucas Wood
Does anyone know if Michael Menezes and Lucas Wood are related to Jakob? Is Bertie Smert related to Alfie Smart?
I'm not sure but when they were introduced as the 'newbies' the video screen did switch to them all together. The image as faded now but I thought at the time there were some simiarlities with current/previous libera members. It wouldn't surprise me if the Menezes-wood/Madine/Leggett dynasty is expanded within the libera ranks ;)
dani wrote:
phlibera wrote:Bertie Smart, if ever he is related to Alfie, is probably not a brother because why would Alfie leave the group if the family still lives near enough for his brother (IF he is a brother) to be in Libera. So my guess would be either a cousin or not a relative at all.

Maybe he just did not want to be in the choir anymore or his voice broke ( i cant remember his age) or school work. You do not leave just because you move house. As you get older other priority's play a part.
Yes it's almost impossible to second guess the reasons why certain boys appear to leave earlier than usual. There could be a multitude of factors affecting the decision. Moving home possibly figures high on the list; Ben P's travelling from Surrey to Norbury is more the exception than the rule.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

I also wanted to just add that it was nice meeting LennieS and Lumi . Both where really friendly and easy to chat to .

Plus the usual gang of Patrick , murkris ( I can't spell) , Viabuona and the pain in the ass otherwise known as " Yorkie" :D
LennesSL
Silver Member

Post by LennesSL »

dani wrote:I also wanted to just add that it was nice meeting LennieS and Lumi . Both where really friendly and easy to chat to .

Plus the usual gang of Patrick , murkris ( I can't spell) , Viabuona and the pain in the ass otherwise known as " Yorkie" :D
Haha Thank you! It was nice meeting you all. Just found the time to read the forum. Although some have shared there reviews. I would like to share my notes I made from the concert.

First of all I was shocked by the newbies again. There are a lot now. And Nano-Ben is so cute while singing. He looks at the soloists al smiling and admiring the older boys. Thats very nice to see.

Jubilate Deo They started in the pitch black, and five boys came on stage. One started to sing the alleluja, I later noticed it was Matt R-A. Joined by Ralph, Eoghan and two others I thought were Cassius and Barney. Than one by one the other boys came on stage and started singing.
Angels howling etc. was done by Barney and Cassius.
The song turned into Libera
Eoghan and Luke did the solo's and Ralph was doing the high notes at the end. It was great!!

I think they've found the replacements (so to speak) of Stefan and Ralph named Eoghan and Cassius.

Well after that I failed to make good notes. But I want to tell about my highlights of the evening :)

Song of Life I liked the song but when Ralph started to sing this life and so close to us. Wow, I was blown away by Ralphs sound and the song. Tears in my eyes there. Not had that before with the song. Ralph was standing before the others about 8 metres away from us. It was great to see, him enjoying to sing for us! I thought Ralph was breaking his voice, but he's perfect now. Hope he can set this through for a while!.

Veni, Veni, Emmanuel I loved the setting everybody with there hoodies on except for Josh and Ralph who where standing on the steps, Josh in front and Ralph shoulder to shoulder one step behind him. In the church setting it was hauntingly beautifull!

Second half:

Carol of the bells JUST WOW!! The choreografy ( I tried to say this word a couple times during the queueing? and the concert I failed! ) You can see that they are enjoying it to so much!! And when Stefan and Ralph came forward for there ahhh. They were like guarding angels to the choir..

Eternal Light was my ABSOLUTE high light! Stefan just NAILS this song. He owned it! He is singing with his clear voice and high notes like it's no effort. And the setting with Stefan, Daniel and Ralph in front of the choir was great. Stefan made me cry (and I never cry ;) ) with his moving voice and seeing those three, realizing that everything goes by. Just loved it. Sorry a little emotional still.

Ave Verum I was surprized by the song. The solo parts were done by Matthew Jansen, Carlos and Barney. The lights were great and the way they make that V with Josh in front. Dani and I talked about that, you think they won't make it in time to make the V, but suddenly it's there and it's a strong position with Josh in the middle and the lower voice make power!!

Glory to thee Liked it. Just wanted to say this. Eoghan has grown a lot in his voice. He has got the same sound but is steady now. I think he will become great. I love his sound!

Agreeing with Dani, would love to see Stefan doing more solos. He has such a perfect sound. But indeed thats just me ;-)
Life is but a journey
Tides are always turning
Seasons come and go here but you’ll never be alone here