Concert in St George - London - Friday 25/11

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

maartendas
Diamond Member

Re: Concert in St George - London - Friday 25/11

Post by maartendas »

Thanks for the reviews so far :D Still waiting for a song by song analysis though ;)
With 34 choristers on stage, how was the effect of such a full sound? Can anyone specify?
What a nice and remarkable gesture of Mr. Philipp to give this speech in person, to emphasize the importance of spreading Libera's music. Is this a break in Libera tradition? I only recall they always had the written part in concert programs where they ask for donations.
Speaking of which, are there any pictures or scans from the program?
And what was the audience like? Mostly families and friends or also new fans?
Sorry, I'm just a bit curious ;)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

maartendas wrote:Thanks for the reviews so far :D Still waiting for a song by song analysis though ;)
With 34 choristers on stage, how was the effect of such a full sound? Can anyone specify?
What a nice and remarkable gesture of Mr. Philipp to give this speech in person, to emphasize the importance of spreading Libera's music. Is this a break in Libera tradition? I only recall they always had the written part in concert programs where they ask for donations.
Speaking of which, are there any pictures or scans from the program?
And what was the audience like? Mostly families and friends or also new fans?
Sorry, I'm just a bit curious ;)

Yes to loads of family and friends but that was too be expected as it was close to home. It was a lot older audience that Epsom i would say. I am sure there was some new fans but hard to judge.

The sound was good. Sometimes the backing music i thought over powered them a little on some songs.

Also one complaint and i actually thought " bring back the violin" was in a few songs in the second half in the middle was random noise. That distracted from the music and added nothing at all. I think it was the percussion and i did not get the point of it at all . It just seemed like random noise.

I think it was in Ave Verum and one other.

haha i will let somebody else give a song by song review. As i can only remember my favorites .

Safe to say it was a good concert and the boys was on forum. I would of preferred Stefan to get more solos :lol: but thats just me :mrgreen:
LuxVenit
Silver Member

Post by LuxVenit »

Like everyone else, I thank those who have given reviews of this concert. I am literally fidgeting in my seat right now just wishing that somehow I'll be able to hear Josh on "Veni Veni" (that's always been one of my FAVORITE Advent hymns) or that some of these last couple concerts will have been saved for release on a live DVD or something. It sounds like it was an entirely magical concert, espcecially being held "at home" in London and all.

Thirty four choristers with four never heard of newbies had to be fun as well. And the back row! I wonder if they'll keep that going. Do any of you concert veterans have any opinions about that? The larger back row I mean (just curious, and I don't want to digress from the topic here). Would "Veni Veni" have been better/worse/the same if Josh had "retired?" Keep in mind that I haven't heard the Libera version, as I've not gotten the album yet. *wipes away a tear*
“My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary.” ― Martin Luther
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

LuxVenit wrote:Like everyone else, I thank those who have given reviews of this concert. I am literally fidgeting in my seat right now just wishing that somehow I'll be able to hear Josh on "Veni Veni" (that's always been one of my FAVORITE Advent hymns) or that some of these last couple concerts will have been saved for release on a live DVD or something. It sounds like it was an entirely magical concert, espcecially being held "at home" in London and all.

Thirty four choristers with four never heard of newbies had to be fun as well. And the back row! I wonder if they'll keep that going. Do any of you concert veterans have any opinions about that? The larger back row I mean (just curious, and I don't want to digress from the topic here). Would "Veni Veni" have been better/worse/the same if Josh had "retired?" Keep in mind that I haven't heard the Libera version, as I've not gotten the album yet. *wipes away a tear*

Daniel's version is nice. I enjoy it. But Josh did add something to it , i will admit. The backrow for me is still too big i personally think. Just my opinion

You have

Josh
Jakob
Alex
Liam
Ben
JB
Tiarnan
Samuel

Soon to add Daniel.

That would be 9 members if the trend continues.
carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

Great to know you guys had a wonderful time!

Wood and Menezes...more boys added to the ever growing Madine-Leggett-De Menezes-Wood family tree? :D

And Barnaby Lindsell... :D
"I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!" - Melvin Udall

Christine

Post by Christine »

Murkskis wrote:Stay with me- Daniel and Cassius were singing the solo.

Veni, veni Emanuel. - I agree with dani- it was one of the highlights. Credits to Josh and Ralph. Absolutely moving piece. Josh looked so confident while singing this. I almost started clapping before the last gaudes. :shock: Luckily I didn't happen.

Exultate. Very, very joyful song. A good way to finish the first part of the concert. I was trying to make some notes, but ... at one point I dropped my pen of the floor ... :oops: And right after the intermission I couln't find the sheet where I made my notes :lol: Luckily I found it at the very end again. As I was sitting on the 4th row, I hope it wasn't too disturbing to anyone.
Veni, Veni was my favourite. And how I wished Exultate was sang by Ben (just wishing). Who did the last part of the Sanctus?
Christine

Post by Christine »

carina_gino20 wrote:Great to know you guys had a wonderful time!

Wood and Menezes...more boys added to the ever growing Madine-Leggett-De Menezes-Wood family tree? :D

Is Barnaby and Barney Lindsell one and the same. Or is Barnaby a newbie?

As Mr. Madine had mentioned "It runs in the blood."
carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

Christine wrote:
carina_gino20 wrote:Great to know you guys had a wonderful time!

Is Barnaby and Barney Lindsell one and the same. Or is Barnaby a newbie?

As Mr. Madine had mentioned "It runs in the blood."
Barnaby and Barney. One and the same. :D
"I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!" - Melvin Udall

fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

I'm in a Starbucks which offers Wifi, I have 30 minutes before joining Yorkie and Paull30003 for diner, I write here a few things I have in mind from yesterday's concert :)

First of all, the concert was a GREAT GREAT success ! :D
The boys were obviously happy and proud to be on stage, they wanted to give the public their best and share all the songs they worked so hard.
Saying that I don't mean it's not the case usually but yesterday night this was particularly true :)

Entering the place for the concert I saw that the technical staff had intelligently turned the Piano at the opposite and switched its position with the keyboard, so the piano was no more a sight obstacle on the left side.

It have been said they were 34 on stage.
Mainly they were the main group of 29 as in the Philippines, plus 5 newbies presents on a few song, in the very back, behind the altar (we firsts rows could barely see them).

The Main group of 29 (as on the program) :
Henry Barrington, Jonathan Barrington, Ciarnan Bradbury-Hickey, Tiarnan Brandson, Jude Collins, Luke Collins, Liam Connery, Kavana Crossley, Thomas Delgado-Little, Jakob De Menezes-Wood, Dylan Duffy, Benjamin Fairman, Daniel Fontannaz, Matthew Jansen, Stefan Leadbeater, Alexander Legget, Barnaby Lindsell, Isaac London, Joshua Madine, Matthew Madine, Eoghan Mc Carthy, Samuel Moriarty, Kuba Niedermair-Reed, Cassius O'Connell-White, Benedict Philipp, Matthew Rangel-Alvares, Carlos Rodriguez, Ralph Skan, Michael Ustynovych-Repa
(Barnaby = Barney)

The 5 newbies :
Misha Lieven, Oscar McFall, Michael Menezes, Bertie Smart, Lucas Wood

The songs list :
- Jubilate
- Libera
- Joy to the World,
- Still Still Still,
- Song of Life
- Sanctus
- Salva
- Stay With Me
- Veni Emmanuel
- Exultate
Interval
- Carol of the Bells
- Gloria
- Fountain,
- Eternal Light
- Sing the Story
- Ave Verum
- In Dulci Jubilo
- Glory to thee
- How shall I sing That Majesty
Encore
- White Christmas

I read the comments and I must say that for me too Veni Veni Emmanuel sung by Josh was the best incredible moment of the concert :D
I was first surprise and then moved to tears hearing him singing as he sung. Even now deep, his voice if still full of emotions :)

Dani wrote that Jakob voice may have changed, this can be true, as I noticed Jakob is no more doing the beautiful harmony he was used to sing on the refrain of Sanctus. He his replaced there by Stefan, that did brilliantly :)

On Stay With me, Daniel was accompanied by Cassius on all the song, Cassius standing a little on the back side of Daniel. I saw Cassius singing but I was not able the distinguish his voice from Daniel's, they complete perfectly each other :)

On Carol the Bells, the stage movements are impressible ! They change position all the time ! Wow ! The song is nervous and rhythmic by itself, this is increased by the dynamic they add by their movements :)

On the Ave Verum final, when they all together move to form the V formation, they are moving from what looks like a random position at start, to finish in a perfectly orderer formation, in position and heights decreasing, all at the precise same time ! They manage were to start and were to stop, by were they have to pass, and the speed also, to all finish at the same time :)
In addition (I don't know it it's made on purpose or if it was due to my position), the head of the V arrived by surprise ! During the movement I was asking to myself "Will it be Jonathan or Liam ? Jonathan... Liam... Jonathan.. and Surprise : at the very end Josh emerge from behind Liam, and in two steps he his the V head ! :D

Moose was in a Christmas mood, he wore some red and green Chrismass decoration as neckless :)

(must go, already late for my appointment with Yorkie and Paul. arrrgghhh !!! late again !! )
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

I'm glad that Dani loves Veni, Veni Emmanuel w/ Josh and Ralph. That should dispel the thoughts that Josh is still there because he's the poster boy of Libera. :lol: :lol: Although, even if it's true (and I don't think it is), he deserves that position because of all his contributions (voice-wise, of course, not just face-wise) in the past and all that he's still doing now at 17. :)

In any organizations, most likely true with Libera as well, junior members look up to senior members for guidance and inspiration and motivation. And I believe the the current back row is doing a good job at it.
danieb88
Silver Member

Post by danieb88 »

Hi everyone, am now home so able to post a little about the concert! unfortunately after fighting illness all week i really wasnt feeling 100% during the concert so it was not one of my most enjoyable experiences! I even missed jubilate/libera!! not happy about that at all!! who sang the high hallelujahs at the begininng? and was it eoghan doing the aeternas in libera then? very annoying...

anyway, luckily the rest of the concert was fantastic so that cheered me up alot! i know its been said alot but Josh on Veni Emmanuel was absolutely fantastic - i was completely blown away! I also really enjoyed Stefan on Eternal Light - I read somewhere in the philipines thread that his voice had become so much better than the recorded version and i definately agree - amazing! another highlight for me was seeing Stefan and Ralph do their solo parts on Carol of the Bells - love that song!

Also, I saw mini James in the audience, he was wearing his school uniform and looked very smart! I only saw him at the last minute though so didnt get the ask him/his parents whether he had left completely or was just taking a break or something! I also saw Sam at the interval so I think we can assume he will not be touring anymore?

On another note, I noticed the quality of the video recordings on the screens was fantastic - not in terms of how good the actual video was but in that it looked like a DVD, with zooming in on soloists and it fading out over eachother - if they wanted to release the concert as a bonus they easily could and be able to charge for it as well - we can only hope that they think its worth it.... I also liked Mr Phillips speech at the interval, I got the impression from it that they are keen to improve their profile in the UK and possible do more over here?! can only hope on both accounts!!
Danie :D
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

Hi there! :D
Well, after a long time and complaining to myself about my poor memory I decided to comment a bit more on the second part of the concert.

Carol of the Bells
They have really put some effort on stage movements. The boys changed their positions very rapidly, and I also remember the whole formation. They were split into 5 or 6 groups. Maybe it’s just me, but each group symbolized a bell, and when they were singing it was so noticeable (you can’t see this effect in QVC video, and just a little in their newest one) – one group sung, then the second group, the third, the next came in, at one point the low voices joined. It’s like one bell rings, second bell, next and next and then combined! Wow! And boys were apparently enjoying this so much as well! It’s really one cheery song. Most of them looked more relaxed in comparison to the latest video. Short solo parts by Stefan, Ralph and Cassius at the end of the song. Very good job. *Woot, woot*

And if you dared to stare into their eyes at times, many stared back. Also in Carol of the Bells. This is like some kind of game going throughout the concert, but I never kept looking longer than a few seconds. I don’t know why, but it feels like a conversation without words.

Gloria

It was the good old classical Libera piece. Sung by full choir. Sounded very good, I’d say it was pretty moderate for them. :wink: I mean they sung it so well as if it was as easy as to breathe. The boys weren’t moving during this song but looked directly into the audience. The overall mood was more serious than during the previous song. I start to think that the theme of the song could influence mood of the singers as well.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Thank you very much Murkskis for your very detailed review :D

Here a 135° photo of the stage setup before the concert :)

On the left corner the piano and the keyboard used by Robert Prizeman.
Behind the altar on the right we can see a part of the footstool where the 5 mini-boys stood on some songs.
On the right, one of the two cameramen that filmed the whole concert.

I exchanged a few words with one of them : mainly their presence for the concert was to produce images for the tv screens hanged to the pillars of the cathedral, to allows people in the back and in the sides to see the choristers. But in addition of that they were also told to activate the recording function. Maybe a few images will be used later into a youtube video ? :)
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

danieb88 wrote: I noticed the quality of the video recordings on the screens was fantastic - not in terms of how good the actual video was but in that it looked like a DVD, with zooming in on soloists and it fading out over each other - if they wanted to release the concert as a bonus they easily could and be able to charge for it as well
It was the same in the Philippines. Not sure if it would be easy or if there would be any constraints, from EMI for example, but there would certainly be a large market for concert DVDs.

On another note, I agree with all the positive comments about last nights concert. I even find myself agreeing 90% with Dani.
A couple of changes that have not been mentioned: Matthews Jansen and Rangel-Alvarez were part of the group opening Jubilate; Jacob did not accompany Carlos in Ave Verum - Carlos was accompanied by two of the younger boys but I cannot remember who. Can anyone help?

Just to dispel the rumour: Sam has not left. He had some important exams coming up and could not spare the time for concert rehearsals.
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

Speech/play by Cassius and Barney. Focus on keeping their robes clean. I think one of them mentioned that they were drinking juice during the intermission and they were veeery careful. :D Barney was talking about how one can hide in their robe and pulled the hood over Cassius face. Another good moment was a few seconds later. All the boys had taken their places, and then Cassius suddenly 'woke up', startled, removed the hood and quickly returned to his place.

Fountain
Solo by Ralph. It sounded so good. Enjoyed the song a lot, personally this song was very moving for me. I usually enjoy the second part of the concert even more than the first. Because it takes some time to focus only on music. I also believe that the singers might be nervous at the beginning of the performance but later they get more relaxed and also can focus more on music itself.

Eternal Light
Oh, that's just another epic treat, solo by Stefan. Nailed to high quality as usual. I could have sit there until the morning.
It sounded even better than the latest video of this song!!! I'm not an expert in music of course, just my impressions.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Edit.
I decided to finish my song-by-song review of the concert. Sorry for I'm a bit late. Hope you guys don't mind :wink:
--------------------------------------------------------------

Sing the Story
Solo by Luke. We don’t have the pleasure to hear him often. Well done indeed. The song also associates with the Christmas time a lot. I’m looking forward to hear it again one day.

Ave Verum
Ave Verum was the highlight for the low voices. I like it a lot. And the impressive V formation at the end of the song- the older boys were placed in the middle, Josh in the centre and the younger boys on the sides. I just thought – someone must be planning the choreography! I appreciate this as well!

In Dulci Jubilo
The second part of the concert felt like a one long song. I just kept listening in awe.

Glory to Thee
I liked this song so much. Very beautiful and soothing. Eoghan was singing the solo. Well, he knows how to make it to sound so good. The boys were standing with rather solemn faces and holding their bent arms on the chest. The arms were kind of hidden into the sleeves of their robe (err, a simple picture would be helpful, but I wasn’t taking any pictures of the choir). I would say the atmosphere was pretty ethereal. Well, I like this feeling and I’d love it to last longer.

How Shall I Sing That Majesty
It was the last song of the night. Credits to Stefan and Eoghan. When Liam told us that it was the last one I thought – already? Well, I know the concert is supposed to end but I’m always longing for more. It was followed by well deserved ovation.

Encore- White Christmas
A wonderful and well known song that left the audience on Christmas note. Performed by Libera. Solo by Stefan. And I took part in the standing ovation again :D
*Thanks to other reviewers that shared their reviews on the blogs and forums. Reading other reports helps me to remember more of the event.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And special thanks to Patrick for giving me the USA tour program! Appreciated! :)