Online Shopping

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

Nikki178
Silver Member

Online Shopping

Post by Nikki178 »

Does it matter if I pay via credit card or via PayPal? I want to order from Amazon Japan but I'm not sure how to pay. A friend (who has NOT ordered anything online) was thinking it was safer to pay through PayPal.

Also, an order is NOT final till you hit the "Place Your Oder" button right? So at least I can track how much I'm buying. :) Hahaha!

Thoughts? :)

Cheers.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Re: Online Shopping

Post by maartendas »

For a moment there I thought this topic was spam because of the title :wink:
I used to own a credit card purely to make transactions online but I became the victim of fraud. Ever since that I don't have one anymore. Now I try to use PayPal when I can but if you really need a credit card and you don't have one and don't want to use the card of someone you know (it's a solution but involves some hassle ;)) you can buy virtual credit cards which are used for a set amount of money and valid for a set period. I used one to book flight and accommodation to and in London earlier this year, as well as buy CDs.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Nikki178
Silver Member

Post by Nikki178 »

Thanks maartendas. I'm thinking of buying from Amazon Japan. I want to buy those Libera CDs. I figured they're on sale. It's Amazon. Should be fine right? :)

This is dangerous! I've had the window open for 20 seconds and I already have 4 items in my cart! :wink:

----
Uuum... yeah. Nevermind. My impulsive side took over. That was fun. I can't read/understand Japanese so I had to feel-click my way around. But I did get a confirmation email so I guess I clicked all the right buttons. :) hahaha!
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

I often buy from Japan, last one thing was the Winter Songs CD (arrived on Monday :D).
I usually use my credit card with well known sites like amazon.co.jp or hmv.co.jp and I use paypal for less knows sites like http://www.jauce.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (auctions, shopping,...) or http://www.fdjp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (shopping, event tickets ! :D,... )

I never had problem, whatever the payment system I used :)

My experiences have made me to prefer HMV Japan rather than Amazon Japan because on HMV there is more translations to english in the accounts and order pages. In addition I add bad surprises due to Amazon.
Last time I bought something from them, the green Japansese Peace Deluxe I think, they use Fedex for the shipments abroad Japan. It was a fast delivery, but Fedex asked me to pay additional VAT ! :shock: :cry: (this may be specificly French...)
HMV send goods buy EMS (a cheap standard international shipment system), working as well as Fedex, without bad tax surprise at arrival ;)
Nikki178
Silver Member

Post by Nikki178 »

Is that a regular in Amazon orders? The VAT thing? It's most likely that I won't be home when the package arrives so that concerns me a bit. If you don't mind me asking, how much was the VAT? :)
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

The VAT surprise at the Fedex delivery from Amazon.jp occurred twice for me, so after that I avoided to use Amazon JP as far as I have the choice. Vat amount for me was near 20%, more expensive than the shipment from Japan :?

During your own order, have you seen if they are still imposing Fedex as shipment ?

Don't be too scared for that VAT behaviour I had, it may be specific to France, we are the world champions for taxing whatever can be taxed ! :mrgreen:
Nikki178
Silver Member

Post by Nikki178 »

They use DHL now. I'm from the Philippines. I was thinking the CDs aren't going to be traveling that far.

So how did that go? When the package arrived at your place did the delivery person just ask you to pay for the VAT before he gave you your package? No receipt of some sort? This is the first time I've ordered anything online.

Kinda nervous. :shock:
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

fan_de_LoK wrote:The VAT surprise at the Fedex delivery from Amazon.jp occurred twice for me, so after that I avoided to use Amazon JP as far as I have the choice. Vat amount for me was near 20%, more expensive than the shipment from Japan :?

During your own order, have you seen if they are still imposing Fedex as shipment ?

Don't be too scared for that VAT behaviour I had, it may be specific to France, we are the world champions for taxing whatever can be taxed ! :mrgreen:
I disagree!

Here in the UK is much much worse.

We pay VAT on VAT, soon they will be taxing fresh air.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Nikki178 wrote:So how did that go? When the package arrived at your place did the delivery person just ask you to pay for the VAT before he gave you your package? No receipt of some sort? This is the first time I've ordered anything online.

Kinda nervous. :shock:
Don't be nervous, it should be fluid :)
At each of my orders from Japan, having to pay something at delivery or not, I had to sign the shipment receipt.

For example I was not at home when the my last EMS envelope arrived Monday, so the postman let a paper in my letterbox saying that I have to go to my town's main Post office to retrieve my envelope. There, I was asked to sign the shipment receipt, but fortunately nothing to pay :)

For my previous Fedex delivery from Amazon.JP, I had to sign but also to give the guy a bank check, grrrrr !! :mrgreen:

I'm happy to read that now Amazon is using DHL, maybe they are more cool than Fedex :)

Wow, first online order and you didn't fear to order from Japan, bravo :)

Talking about Philippines and ordering things online, Nikki, do you know any Philippines CDs online store that can send CDs abroad ? I looked for such Filipino store when The Philippines were the only country in the world to have released the Christmas Album in October, but I found none :|
Nikki178
Silver Member

Post by Nikki178 »

fan_de_LoK wrote: Wow, first online order and you didn't fear to order from Japan, bravo :)

Talking about Philippines and ordering things online, Nikki, do you know any Philippines CDs online store that can send CDs abroad ? I looked for such Filipino store when The Philippines were the only country in the world to have released the Christmas Album in October, but I found none :|
Yep, I'm stupid that way. :wink: I rush into things without giving it much thought. I've tried online shopping with local sellers but that's way easier. I can just go to a nearby bank to do wire the money. This is the first time I've had to pay with plastic.

About the CDs. I don't think we have any store that delivers outside the country. Our record stores don't even have websites! Or if they do, it's incomplete! No one updates it regularly. I think the only way to buy a CD from the Philippines is to get someone in the Philippines to buy it for you and then have it shipped. :wink:

I wonder if DHL will let someone else sign for my package. I won't be home but my grandparents and the helper should be home... I should really try calling them. Haha. :wink:
Nikki178
Silver Member

Post by Nikki178 »

I just checked my email and found out that one CD has been shipped while the other three will be shipped on the 21st. Do these things usually come on time? My first package is suppose to arrive this Wednesday. The others sometime between Wednesday and Saturday. :D
Nikki178
Silver Member

Post by Nikki178 »

fan_de_LoK wrote:The VAT surprise at the Fedex delivery from Amazon.jp occurred twice for me, so after that I avoided to use Amazon JP as far as I have the choice. Vat amount for me was near 20%, more expensive than the shipment from Japan :?

OMG! I just got a call from DHL and the VAT costs MORE than the CD itself! The CD costs JPY 2,674 plus JPY 650 for shipping and handling. The VAT is PHP2,417 (PHP 1 = JPY 0.56)! And I have THREE more CDs coming! I felt my jaw drop! I soooo cannot believe it!

*SIGH*

Now I know why people from Customs have a reputation of being rich... :(
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

Nikki178 wrote: OMG! I just got a call from DHL and the VAT costs MORE than the CD itself! The CD costs JPY 2,674 plus JPY 650 for shipping and handling. The VAT is PHP2,417 (PHP 1 = JPY 0.56)! And I have THREE more CDs coming! I felt my jaw drop! I soooo cannot believe it!
Hmm, doesn't sound good. And VAT that high- it doesn't make sense.
BTW, if this is a real calculation by DHL you can prove them wrong :wink:
1 JPY= 0.56 PHP
That's a little difference..

You can check this by yourself :D
http://www.exchange-rates.org/converter/PHP/JPY/2417/Y

Edit. I found on the web that the import tax rate is from 3 to 50% in Philippines. Can't find an official source though.
If this is true, then you really don't have to pay the wrong price.
Nikki178
Silver Member

Post by Nikki178 »

Sadly, the Philippines is a country with a lot of corruption. I don't understand how Customs "estimate" the value of an item. Because it sounds like they just slapped on a VAT thats twice the price of the CD.

I've tried grilling the DHL person who called me and all she said was "Customs made the estimate" over and over.

Ooh, can I just say, I called DHL's customer service yesterday and their attendant was a really rude guy. I was trying to explain the situation to him so he can give me a correct response (I mean, who can give a right response if the person doesn't know the situation right?) and he kept on butting in by asking "So what's you concern, ma'am?" After he asked me the third time, my usually dormant snooty self emerged.

My officemate was laughing because he said I sounded really snooty. But hello, you don't work customer service if you can't even listen to what the other person is saying.

Anyway, the rude guy said I should call again tomorrow when my second package arrives in the country to confirm how much I'll pay for that. I just tracked the package and it's in the country already. Still stuck in customs though. :(

Kinda scared. :|