The Christmas Album CD (2011)

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

dani
Diamond Member

Re: The Christmas Album CD

Post by dani »

Lumi wrote:
dani wrote:And the backing track still over powers them a lot of the time. I really only notice they are singing live when you hear them go out of sync with each other .
I'm just curious, when specifically do you hear the backing track overpowering them?

Because when I first watched them this morning – even though I was still half asleep – one of my first thoughts was that since they have some of the harmonies only on the track (or just one boy singing a harmony in addition to the track) they actually should've (at least at times) had it quite a bit louder to match it with the volume of the boys singing live. I mean I'd rather say that for most of the time the boys overpower the backing track. :lol:

il rwatch now and give some times
libera36

Post by libera36 »

Lumi wrote:
dani wrote:And the backing track still over powers them a lot of the time. I really only notice they are singing live when you hear them go out of sync with each other .
I'm just curious, when specifically do you hear the backing track overpowering them?
I'd say right at the beginning of Joy to the World... it started out too loud, then I think they might have adjusted it slightly, so that the backing track didn't overpower the boys.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Times 5 mins 5 secs till 5:15 secs ... 5:25

the merry merry xmas bits , i dont hear the boys at all in that part. Then Stefans and Ralphs bits. The sound seems to be coming from in front of them and i cant tell if its the cd or them until Ralph goes out of tune at the end and you can hear him end his part about 1 second too late.

Also do people now finally believe Freddie has left? .. if he was still in the group he would of been there today as he is one of the main boys in Libera.
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

dani wrote: Also do people now finally believe Freddie has left? .. if he was still in the group he would of been there today as he is one of the main boys in Libera.
Every appearance when he is not present increases the odds :(
May I still have a hope? :)
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Murkskis wrote:
dani wrote: Also do people now finally believe Freddie has left? .. if he was still in the group he would of been there today as he is one of the main boys in Libera.
Every appearance when he is not present increases the odds :(
May I still have a hope? :)

You can have hope but it does not change the fact he has left :mrgreen: :lol:

Will you admit defeat at St G's ? :P
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

dani wrote: Will you admit defeat at St G's ? :P
Maybe :P
I'll think about it :mrgreen:
chris17

Post by chris17 »

It seems likely that he's left, but I don't think that this appearance proves it, because a lot of the other boys weren't there either (like Jakob). I'm really hoping he's still around, especially after hearing his solo on the First Noel! But I'm starting to have doubts. :(
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

chris17 wrote:It seems likely that he's left, but I don't think that this appearance proves it, because a lot of the other boys weren't there either (like Jakob). I'm really hoping he's still around, especially after hearing his solo on the First Noel! But I'm starting to have doubts. :(

I dont think Jacob has left personally. I just think voice change and he cant sing though that. He is the right age for his voice breaking.

Yes but the main boys of Libera was there today The boys we saw are the back bone of Libera. The only boys missing was the really young boys and the back row who didnt fit the image for today.

If Freddie was in the choir he would of been there as he was one of the major boys in the choir.
Lumi
Silver Member

Post by Lumi »

dani wrote:Times 5 mins 5 secs till 5:15 secs ... 5:25

the merry merry xmas bits , i dont hear the boys at all in that part. Then Stefans and Ralphs bits. The sound seems to be coming from in front of them and i cant tell if its the cd or them until Ralph goes out of tune at the end and you can hear him end his part about 1 second too late.
Hmm.. I honestly can't tell with Carol of the Bells which part is the boys and which is the backing track (apart from one harmony line).
The solos though are clearly live, although I don't hear Ralph going out of tune nor missing his timing. The last note of his solo is supposed to start when the others continue "how come the.." and end at the same time with the words "bells", and he does exactly that. It's just that on the album you don't hear it all that well (i.e. that final note is not supposed to be that loud).

But instead, can somebody who actually has some musical training tell whether Stefan goes a bit flat (?) with his solo? I'm merely interested in knowing whether my ears work at all or not. :lol:
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Just caught up with the videos now. Obviously 'White Christmas' was the highlight, and the slow tempo ballad feel of the song fitted perfectly for the small select group in attendance today. Stefan's solo was very nice and it's great that he finally got his first live solo on TV. Joy to the World and Carol of the Bells are maybe best served with libera's full quota as ASAP Rocks and the recent concerts testified. Saying that they still did a more than an admirable job with these numbers too, and agree with the other right honourable members of the forum that a huge amount of credit goes to Libera for singing live. A few mistimings here and there possibly but all the more organic for it.

Canada is topping the stats in the Amazon charts for Libera's Christmas Album so far;

The highest I've seen in the US amazon chart is #9 and the UK varies from #19 to #100
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Liv Castor

Post by Liv Castor »

I think that Libera is definitely better live than in an album. For some reason, the nerves and stimulation all combine together to create an animation that isn't as present in the albums. :) (Don't get me wrong- I'm blown away by every album they make!)

Anyway, I think Steph's solo was perfect. But of course we all know that it's always perfect with Steph. :) He adds his own personal spice! :D
"[Singing] makes me feel like I'm on top of the world....'cause when I start singing I don't really care about what's happening... I just sing what I have to sing and I find it to be a release from real life."
--Liam Connery

http://inspiredinmusic.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Twitter-- "inspiredinmusic"
Benj
Silver Member

Post by Benj »

Definitely true. Besides their actual presence you feel all sorts of emotions when it's live. (Another call for a live concert dvd :lol: ) Like even before the concert starts, the atmosphere inside the theater is hyperventilating with excitement. :lol: And when you actually hear them sing live, you'll gasp realizing they're better than you imagined.
Malibu
Silver Member

Post by Malibu »

I definitely agree. I love their singing on the albums, but there is something special about seeing them live. Benj, I completely agree with your last sentence as well. The first time I heard them live...was...amazing.

As for the QVC performance, I just watched the video on dearmadine's blog. I don't really have much to comment on other than I thought they did a great job as usual.
Tim
Lead, kindly light amid the circling gloom.
Lead thou me on.
The night is dark and I am far from home.
Malibu
Silver Member

Post by Malibu »

Lumi wrote:I actually feel quite silly writing all this, as it was so obvious they weren't miming... And as I said, not just from the occasional mistakes here and there (which I feel a bit unfair pointing out like this...) but from their overall sound too. You could clearly hear which parts were on the recorded track and which ones the boys were singing.
Yorkie wrote:Not sure that the fact they used a hand mic for the interviews necessarily means the mics they had on were fakes - those mics were probably rigged in to the sound mixing equipment to add reverb and the like. I don't think the vocal performances were 100% perfect (not a criticism I prefer to have some imperfections as makes it more emotional) so unless they pre-recorded it to have some mistakes I think they sang live to a canned backing track (and they use sound tracks at their concerts too).
I just wanted to comment on this, because I always like to hear a couple of mistakes during a live performance. To me, it sounds more real, and it proves that they are indeed singing live. It just makes it that much better knowing they are perfect the other 99% of the time.
During the ASAP performance Ralph chipped the note during his solo, but that didn't bother me one bit. In fact, I preferred the mistake on the live performance. Also, before my first Libera concert I didn't know what to expect, and I did wonder if they were really going to sing or if it would be over an overpowering backing track. But when I heard a couple of small mistakes in the harmonies, all those fears were put to rest, and I actually enjoyed the concert more, because I knew I really was hearing them live, and they were doing a great job :D
This isn't to say if they are making mistakes all the time I would appreciate it, but to hear one now and then during a live performance is what makes it, well, live.
Tim
Lead, kindly light amid the circling gloom.
Lead thou me on.
The night is dark and I am far from home.
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

QVC performance HD download ( green in the middle is the free one)
https://www.rapidshare.com/#!download|8 ... EA32E8|0|0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;